HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
my bad
saw this in Hawaii Magazine
I like Ed he's one of "the good things about hawaii"
love his TV cooking show

I thought the hooters/gordon biersch thing was the fact that HPU took over Aloha Tower Marketplace and needed the space.

The worse is likelike drive-in, monterey bay canners, Kakaako kitchen, and uncles
kind of like if rainbows and leonards decided to close

when I worked downtown, we used to frequent Harpos(lunch), and HASR(dinner) quite a bit.
I hope Dolan's and Murphy's survives with less downtown traffic and social distancing requirements
As a kid, Harpos in Ward Warehouse was THE PLACE! More because the waitresses wore those spaghetti strap tops with no bras than the taste of the rectangular pizza. Just ate pizza and watched my dad and his friends drink and oogle boobies.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
should be flying out to Kauai today, tomorrow we would be doing the tubing adventure down the canals and tunnels(never tried that), then head down to poipu meet up with money4coffeman and trade a gift for a board to use, surf with him at one of his spots, bodysurf shipwrecks, hike into some less known beaches, go to the farmers market, polihali beach adventure, go up to waimea, do a holo holo charter out to the napali coast, then head a week later to the north shore, ppk would be dropping off SUPs and aloha and we were gonna stay at a friends guest house by the hanalei pavillion center beach zone, day trips out to uncle mike d's house out at tunnels, swim with the turtles, cliff diving dawn patrols near princeville, hikes out to the blowholes, paddle up the river on the sups, go to the dolphin and drink mai tais and eat fish, party with the wife at the nui, (not too late) host a mexican dinner party for ppk and all our friends in the zone, etc etc,damn i'm almost tearing up,

12 years ago this week, my youngest at polihale.View attachment 94970

Be careful

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Dam br! That was a fun evening the last time you and the Ohana were here. Great spread that you and the wife put out and a nice gathering of Friends that you know here. A fun evening indeed. COVID has most certainly brought the wet noodle to the party, on traveling and visiting Friends in either direction.
:waving:

Reactions: b.r.

Kaido

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
Took a little trip over to Oahu for a few days this week. Only place to donate covid antibodies is over there so we made a little vacation of it. Was pretty easy, only takes half an hour of this machine spinning your blood and can do it again after a month.

Waikiki is pretty much a ghost town tourist wise. Mostly just locals surfing, out for walks, jogging and lots kids playing down at walls. Unfortunately heck of a lot of homeless sleeping around the pavilions or wherever they find a spot.

Got in a couple fun sessions at small, glassy Kaisers thanks to erbber Jordan lending an LB to ride. Mahalo!! Another fun session body whompin Sandys. Then last day we cruised around Makapuu and then relaxed all day in Kailua. That beach has to be one of the most beautiful in the world with the clear water and the small islands. Fun little trip and nice to experience town without the usual mass tourism.

Here is a few cool pics of the hotels lit up at night. 1595632680211.png1595632639419.png1595632605177.png

Last edited:

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Alright what the hell is that! And what is this core cork business? Honest questions, Please direct me toward this enlightenment.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Alright what the hell is that! And what is this core cork business? Honest questions, Please direct me toward this enlightenment.
the vacuum bag guys love that cork

bag on the laminate and then bag on an outer layer of cork - easy peasy

lighter than fill/finish coat, improves resistance to dings and dents, easy on the nipples,
no surf wax required, and you can possibly get them by the black ball

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
talk to Drew at Inspired he's the resident expert
Charlie at Surfgear too
Better than using balsa skins
started out in high speed racing boats
wood and cork skins are 5-10 times thicker than a glass shell by itself
cores and skins/shells that's all a surfboard is material wise

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
When the unemployment checks stop , opinions will become more reality based
No they won't.
Opinions will not change. Locals are fcking over the over-tourism we were at pre-covid.
30K daily arrivals, 10M annually? No thank you.
The reality of no income will rise to the surface, but the opinion will not change.

You guys are talking about two different things.

That said, you're both right.
+1

Reactions: the janitor

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
From 1989 to 2019, Hawaii doubled it's number of arrivals but overall spending has remained flat.

Downward spiral.
If you cut out illegal vacation rentals, was able to stop all of them, would that arrivals number get cut down by 1 million, 2 million I wonder? more, less? Think that's got to be first step. If there's a preference I think the dollar of a tourist at a resort is a lot better than 1 at a vacation rental.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
That's been part of the upcoming election, some running for office are saying that minimizing vacation rentals (you could never eliminate 100%), you drive people to the resorts/hotels and then you raise hotel/resort taxes for more revenue. AirBnb has definitely brought a different tourist here. Just like when I go to Snapper Rocks and stay in a $60 condo right above Greenmount, I'm a walking contradiction. NIMBY.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
That's been part of the upcoming election, some running for office are saying that minimizing vacation rentals (you could never eliminate 100%), you drive people to the resorts/hotels and then you raise hotel/resort taxes for more revenue. AirBnb has definitely brought a different tourist here. Just like when I go to Snapper Rocks and stay in a $60 condo right above Greenmount, I'm a walking contradiction. NIMBY.
they'd be smarter to figure out how to levy those taxes on the airbnbs

the hospitality business is already adopting airbnb's model