Waikiki During Quarantine

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
if any of you ever make it our here in the future, below is a list of favorite eateries on oahu and maui taken out by the covid shutdown. Also the 14 day quarantine has been extended till Sept 1 and maybe longer if the mainland keeps getting worse especially california and washington where most mainland tourists come from..

Oahu
Gordon Biersch
Hooters
HASR Bistro
Harpos Pizza
Plantation Tavern
Likelike Drive Inn
Kaka'ako Kitchen
Real Gastropub
Uncle's
Monteray Bay Canners
Agu Ramen
Viaggio
Top of Waikiki
Jinbo
Kobe
Otoro Hawaii Fusion
Minori Craft Japanese Restaurant
Ahi Assasins
Town
Mud Hen
Kaimuki Superette
Pomaikai Ballrooms (Dole Cannery)

Maui
Da Kitchen
Maui Tropical Plantation
MIll House Restaurant
Maui Pasta and Fish
Buzz's Wharf
Stella Blues Cafe
Rock and Brews

Don't have any info on kauai and the big island

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
So all of these restaurants that you know of are now all closed?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hooters was closed before covid in January. I know because the owner is an ex-close friend who I despise.
He's a dipshit who somehow couldn't make money selling frozen wings and draft beer, surrounded by college housing.

Also, these places are very much open. They are close friends and still operating. Town reopening in a week, MudHen is doing takeout and Superette still very much open - ate there three times in the past two weeks).
Town
Mud Hen
Kaimuki Superette

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Bummer as most of those listed look like local family owned joints.
It'd be better if the ones closed were large corpo eateries.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Hooters was closed before covid in January. I know because the owner is an ex-close friend who I despise.
He's a dipshit who somehow couldn't make money selling frozen wings and draft beer, surrounded by college housing.

Also, these places are very much open. They are close friends and still operating. Town reopening in a week, MudHen is doing takeout and Superette still very much open - ate there three times in the past two weeks).
Ed is the man! Worked with him at Shipleys. :cheers: :drowning:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004

my bad
saw this in Hawaii Magazine
I like Ed he's one of "the good things about hawaii"
love his TV cooking show

Chef-owner Ed Kenney announced on social media he would be closing his three Kaimukī restaurants—Town, Mud Hen Water and Kaimukī Superette—in addition to his catering company, Uptown Events, indefinitely. He says he’ll start curbside takeout-only service from his Superette location tomorrow, offering what he calls “Town- and Mud Hen-style meals.” He had to lay off 50 employees.

“Our top priority is the health and well-being of our staff, diners and island community and feel it is irresponsible for us to proceed to operate as usual,” Kenney wrote on social media. “Please bear with us as we navigate this unchartered territory.”
I thought the hooters/gordon biersch thing was the fact that HPU took over Aloha Tower Marketplace and needed the space.

The worse is likelike drive-in, monterey bay canners, Kakaako kitchen, and uncles
kind of like if rainbows and leonards decided to close

when I worked downtown, we used to frequent Harpos(lunch), and HASR(dinner) quite a bit.
I hope Dolan's and Murphy's survives with less downtown traffic and social distancing requirements

Last edited:

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
In 2004 when our kids were little we used to go to the beach by slippery wall, inside the breakwater. The Japanese tourist girls would come in pairs, dressed up like it was a fashion show, with high heeled beach shoes. The boys would just go in and swim but the girls always had a flotation device. When my daughter was 6 or so she spent a half day in the water with two of those girls on their floats. They couldn’t speak English, she couldn’t speak Japanese, but they were her big sisters for the day and they had a ball.
My wife just found this picture in a shoe box over the weekend - its my son and my daughter at Waikiki, actually in 2001 not 2004, with those two Japanese girls that they had so much fun with.

At the time my daughter couldn't speak Japanese but she can now - unbeknownst to me since she was 12 she had this dream of going to Japan as a JET (Japan Exchange and Teaching - a Japanese government cultural exchange program) assistant English teacher in a Japanese grade school. She just graduated from The School of The Art Institute of Chicago and she was accepted into the JET program and she's supposed to go to Japan in September (now delayed). She's also somehow managed to teach herself how to read, write and speak Japanese.

Did it all start that day in Waikikki?
Jen Japanese Girls 2001.jpgteacher in a

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
should be flying out to Kauai today, tomorrow we would be doing the tubing adventure down the canals and tunnels(never tried that), then head down to poipu meet up with money4coffeman and trade a gift for a board to use, surf with him at one of his spots, bodysurf shipwrecks, hike into some less known beaches, go to the farmers market, polihali beach adventure, go up to waimea, do a holo holo charter out to the napali coast, then head a week later to the north shore, ppk would be dropping off SUPs and aloha and we were gonna stay at a friends guest house by the hanalei pavillion center beach zone, day trips out to uncle mike d's house out at tunnels, swim with the turtles, cliff diving dawn patrols near princeville, hikes out to the blowholes, paddle up the river on the sups, go to the dolphin and drink mai tais and eat fish, party with the wife at the nui, (not too late) host a mexican dinner party for ppk and all our friends in the zone, etc etc,damn i'm almost tearing up,

12 years ago this week, my youngest at polihale.tyty polihale.jpg

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
yep,

yep, when i go out without the family i stay with him out in Haena, we are friends from grom daze, and both got kicked out of uni freshman year when we were roomies... lol
Give michael my brother and my regards from Ewa Beach
like peter, he's one of the nicest guys on kauai
I left my old resinX griffin modfish and a Fred Patachia Sr big boy with him to play with.
He has a nice quiver himself
I also like visiting with him when on island

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
should be flying out to Kauai today, tomorrow we would be doing the tubing adventure down the canals and tunnels(never tried that), then head down to poipu meet up with money4coffeman and trade a gift for a board to use, surf with him at one of his spots, bodysurf shipwrecks, hike into some less known beaches, go to the farmers market, polihali beach adventure, go up to waimea, do a holo holo charter out to the napali coast, then head a week later to the north shore, ppk would be dropping off SUPs and aloha and we were gonna stay at a friends guest house by the hanalei pavillion center beach zone, day trips out to uncle mike d's house out at tunnels, swim with the turtles, cliff diving dawn patrols near princeville, hikes out to the blowholes, paddle up the river on the sups, go to the dolphin and drink mai tais and eat fish, party with the wife at the nui, (not too late) host a mexican dinner party for ppk and all our friends in the zone, etc etc,damn i'm almost tearing up,

12 years ago this week, my youngest at polihale.View attachment 94970
you wanna try something crazy
I left a core cork skinned devil nosed gemini with my shaper Peter Poppler who lives up the street from PPK. I wanted Sammy "Aukai" Lee to try it at big Hanalei. Don't know if that happened or if Poppler still has it in his shop but if PPK can borrow it from Poppler you're more than welcome to give it a go. Once in a lifetime experience.

GeminiCork.jpg