Waikiki During Quarantine

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
We're starting to lose control on O'ahu, I'm predicting a second lockdown if this continues, According to the LtGov we can only handle 1400 COVID ICU patients before we reach capacity.
Imagine all the people contaminated on the plane ride they shared with this family from Florida as they traveled from there to Hawaii. Each supermarket had to close and clean the whole place down exposed employees had to quarantine imagine the cost to these places. Think people especially kupuna will feel safe at those places now?
Two Kakaako bars are being exposed as hotspots, people who went there advised to get tested.
A Hawaiian Airlines training event was another major cluster here where a senior Los Angeles based attendant died after RETURNING HOME to LA. imagine that flight full of people. He spread it to two gyms here before he left.

Baboozes all
People don't care until the hammer comes down
and then everyone's a crybaby
poor parenting since the 70's
everyone pushes the limits like little kids until they are slapped which it never was due to generations after Dr. Spock
each generation progressively getting worse until post financial crisis

Hawaii sees 47 new coronavirus-related cases as statewide total grows to 1,757

The worse case scenario
Son and father arrested at McCully Shopping Center for violating COVID-19 quarantine. The Department of Health confirmed that both the father and son tested positive for the virus and are now in isolation. They are reportedly from florida, per a tv news report. a teenage daughter is still at the place they are staying at. the father called the police on the son and was surprised they were arrested. The State Director of Health said the son has been a problem, running around with his friends. this is why all coming in need to be sent to a designated quarantine facility

8 Thai soldiers have virus following training in Hawaii
3 Hawaii Costco employees contract coronavirus
Another Foodland employee tests positive for coronavirus

Dozens of COVID-19 patients have been hospitalized following numerous coronavirus outbreaks, including one in Kalihi among Pacific islanders living in large multigenerational households.
“We’ve seen dozens of people get sick. We’re only one order of magnitude away from losing complete control. If cases go from 500 to 5,000 in 14 days, it’ll be over,” Lt. Gov. Josh Green told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, urging residents to remain vigilant about safety precautions to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. “There’s just more clusters all over the place. If the numbers don’t start decreasing, then we’re going back to very strict restrictions on gatherings in public places. Let’s hope we don’t have to get there.”
One such cluster includes at least 36 people who were infected at funeral events in the Pacific Islander community.
Thirteen cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed over the last few weeks in three of Hawaii’s largest public-housing projects for low-income residents: Mayor Wright Homes, Kalihi Valley Homes and Kuhio Park Terrace on Oahu.

Oahu bars would be forced to shut down for three weeks to allow the city time to “recalibrate” and come up with tighter regulations to curb the spread of COVID-19 under a revised guideline that Mayor Kirk Caldwell is seeking from Gov. David Ige.

>> Require face coverings both indoors and outdoors unless a person is alone or with immediate family members. Face coverings would not be required during water activities, but would be necessary in gyms.
>> Reduce the maximum amount of people allowed at a social gathering to no more than 10 nonfamily members. The current maximum is 50. The requirement would not be imposed for institutions already practicing social distancing such as churches and temples.
1596027419570.png

Oahu maybe be quarantined from the rest of Hawaii soon (Interisland travel)

1596027525681.png

Meanwhile on Kauai
1596027721601.png

The Department of Land and Natural Resources announced it will close Kauai’s Polihale State Park indefinitely, citing bad behavior of residents, with abuse, illegal gatherings and camping.

On a recent weekend more than 1,000 people camped at Polihale on Kauai’s west side, with only 80 legal permits, and several hundred parked trucks spanning the 2-mile long beach, DLNR said in a news release issued today. It also cites truck racing on the beach, driving through dunes containing Hawaiian burial sites and critically endangered plants; overuse with widespread defecation within the fragile dune system; and lack of social distancing
Hawaiian Air's cutting back staff 15%-25%
Just like after 2008 expect older grumpier flight attendants looking for a reason to kick you off the plane (especially minorities). Masks and COVID risk will be the new reason

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Being responsible - doing the few things to not get it and spread it

No lockdown or politician can change irresposible behavior , lockdowns punish everyone for others bad behavior .
I agree.

Not sure another lock down would actually do anything. We've seen that people go right back to doing whatever they feel like as soon as it ends.

Reactions: stringcheese

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
like almost elsewhere, this is going bad fast
mostly from people who think they are invincible without thinking of how their actions might kill another
just like drunk drivers
being responsible is not in most boomer and beyond's DNA anymore
It died and is dying with the greatest generation who knew what real sacrifice was.
Not until the devastation of hundreds or thousands dead here rippling through the community affecting almost every household will people look back at it all and maybe learn a lesson about what to do "next time"
But allot of our parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends may have to pay the price to get us there mentally.
It will leave a lasting stain on tourism and businesses that have put their own livelihood over lives.
one life over another

Why we don't look at this situation like dealing with people with TB baffles me because it's the same thing it's not the flu it's TB.
We treat TB so differently it's pathetic
TB is just another respiratory disease like SARS2
But TB is looked at like a 3rd world or poor person's disease so we don;t want to get it

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I agree.

Not sure another lock down would actually do anything. We've seen that people go right back to doing whatever they feel like as soon as it ends.
If this massive negative energy of the media and politicians was spent on daily informing everyone the benifits of working together doing these small things even the most resistant would do better and the #'s would drop radically

Sadly theres no money to be made spreading good news and solutions

Turmoil pays Big

Last edited:

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Surfboard building industry is going nuts here right now. All the shapers slammed and all the glass shops loaded with foam. Skateboarding same. My brother told me "there is not enough quality maple on planet earth for me to meet the demand for skateboards right now."

http://instagr.am/p/CDNV4JBHsg1/
At 3rd Stone yesterday with my grom, I used to fin and hot coat there when Steve's brother Pete ran it, thought I'd give the kid some culture. And yes, that's his board. He's salivating!

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Saw my friend who runs the machine for a well know shaper.
He said well known shaper is paying him over time right now. OVERTIME!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
like almost elsewhere, this is going bad fast

According to the LtGov we can only handle 1400 COVID ICU patients before we reach capacity.

Here's a problem I'm hearing from a nurse friend. The Micronesian community is culturally adverse to social distancing and staying in your bubble, so it's spreading among them. Getting tested is also not something Micronesians will do (they don't like health care). Micronesians on average aren't in great shape with previous health issues (due to the US bombing the sh!t out of their islands) and higher rates of obesity (poor diet provided by the US).

So, guess who's going to fill our ICU beds?

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Here's a problem I'm hearing from a nurse friend. The Micronesian community is culturally adverse to social distancing and staying in your bubble, so it's spreading among them. Getting tested is also not something Micronesians will do (they don't like health care). Micronesians on average aren't in great shape with previous health issues (due to the US bombing the sh!t out of their islands) and higher rates of obesity (poor diet provided by the US).

So, guess who's going to fill our ICU beds?
My nurse sister is telling me the same thing.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I am not Micro bashing. They are some of the nicest people, but they value different things. I should clarify, the Micronesians that are here are on average not in great shape and the reason is that they are here for free healthcare because we bombed the sh!t out of their home. So there are a lot of Micronesians here with pre existing medical conditions.

Also, King Kamehameha might have been Micronesian.