Waikiki During Quarantine

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Surfboard building industry is going nuts here right now. All the shapers slammed and all the glass shops loaded with foam. Skateboarding same. My brother told me "there is not enough quality maple on planet earth for me to meet the demand for skateboards right now."

At 3rd Stone yesterday with my grom, I used to fin and hot coat there when Steve's brother Pete ran it, thought I'd give the kid some culture. And yes, that's his board. He's salivating!
Not trying to be negative. But, I feel like a lot of people are enjoying the unemployment benefits. I think it is going to get really ugly once that runs out.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
no sht..
don't why I'm risking my life everyday for you all who don't need the help
109 cases today, new record

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Here's a problem I'm hearing from a nurse friend. The Micronesian community is culturally adverse to social distancing and staying in your bubble, so it's spreading among them. Getting tested is also not something Micronesians will do (they don't like health care). Micronesians on average aren't in great shape with previous health issues (due to the US bombing the sh!t out of their islands) and higher rates of obesity (poor diet provided by the US).

So, guess who's going to fill our ICU beds?
Chewing da beetlenut no cure em? Bummaz!

Worked with a few microdots, mostly in restaurants. Friendly and good people, although good percentage also missed some shifts because no could make bail, drinking too much. Although, restaurant industry folk can be seedy in general.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I am not Micro bashing. They are some of the nicest people, but they value different things. I should clarify, the Micronesians that are here are on average not in great shape and the reason is that they are here for free healthcare because we bombed the sh!t out of their home. So there are a lot of Micronesians here with pre existing medical conditions.

Also, King Kamehameha might have been Micronesian.
until another group comes along here which they always do, micronesians currently inhabit the very bottom of the social ladder here in Hawaii. Most came for the medical from the Compact of Free Association treaty the US signed because of Bikini guilt.
It's the classic clash of cultures until assimilation. Until then they will get into the most trouble and be the most mis-understood.
It was the same when the vietnamese boat people came in the 70's and the tongans.

I was walking back to work at the financial plaza one evening and right in front of Pioneer Plaza on King St, a lady was dragging a 2-3 year old by the leg while holding a baby walking towards china town. The kid was being dragged on the sidewalk laying down arms out crying. No one said anything and she acted like it was just a normal thing to do. I guess if it was dirt it wouldn't have hurt as much. I'm not 6ft but her head wasn't even up to my shoulders.

We had a branch out in Palau and the branch manager was married to a local. I heard it was beautiful but to watch out for the Betel nut stains your teeth.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
travel quarantine extend till the end of Sept (we been told not to expect and budget for things to open up till 2021)
Neighbor islands allowed to open "resort bubbles" only certain one way in and one way out places can do this. So Poipu is out as are most of the congested spots on maui. Kona has allot of destination resorts in the lava fields.

The lady(local activists) stopping that wedding got kicked off the beach boogie boarding her home break just a little while earlier. If you were a local resident being forced off your own beach you'd be pissed at a bunch of tourists taking advantage too. She was also part of the group that stopped the construction at Sherwood forest and are fighting against the Obama sanctuary digging up hawaiian bones. That why I say things are going to get real ugly here with non-compliant residents, locals are fed up with doing their part and seeing others who are not especially non-locals.

The craziest thing I just saw was an online fundraising project to help all the poor indigent kids attending Punahou. One of the most expensive high schools in the country ($26K per year). Same school Steve Case, Barry Obama, Gerry Lopez, Pierre Omidyar, Carissa Moore, Sanford Dole, Elbert Tuttle, Buster Crabbe, Fred Hemmings, Sun Yat Sen, Hiram Bingham, William Richards Castle, and Peter Ho. This online fundraiser/gofundme crp is getting out of hand.

poor poor punahou kids....
Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 17.41.11.png

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
This thread is the first I've ever heard of Micronesians. Picturing Indonesian people, but much smaller...

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
like almost elsewhere, this is going bad fast
mostly from people who think they are invincible without thinking of how their actions might kill another
just like drunk drivers
being responsible is not in most boomer and beyond's DNA anymore
It died and is dying with the greatest generation who knew what real sacrifice was.
Not until the devastation of hundreds or thousands dead here rippling through the community affecting almost every household will people look back at it all and maybe learn a lesson about what to do "next time"
But allot of our parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends may have to pay the price to get us there mentally.
It will leave a lasting stain on tourism and businesses that have put their own livelihood over lives.
one life over another

Why we don't look at this situation like dealing with people with TB baffles me because it's the same thing it's not the flu it's TB.
We treat TB so differently it's pathetic
TB is just another respiratory disease like SARS2
But TB is looked at like a 3rd world or poor person's disease so we don;t want to get it

Tranquilloooo....and breath dude. Do you really think the shlt is just about to hit the fan, because of people's behavior, when people have been behaving the same way for eight coronavirus months?
The numbers are going up, but thousands dead rippling through the community....maybe too much tv.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
travel quarantine extend till the end of Sept (we been told not to expect and budget for things to open up till 2021)
Neighbor islands allowed to open "resort bubbles" only certain one way in and one way out places can do this. So Poipu is out as are most of the congested spots on maui. Kona has allot of destination resorts in the lava fields.

The lady(local activists) stopping that wedding got kicked off the beach boogie boarding her home break just a little while earlier. If you were a local resident being forced off your own beach you'd be pissed at a bunch of tourists taking advantage too. She was also part of the group that stopped the construction at Sherwood forest and are fighting against the Obama sanctuary digging up hawaiian bones. That why I say things are going to get real ugly here with non-compliant residents, locals are fed up with doing their part and seeing others who are not especially non-locals.

The craziest thing I just saw was an online fundraising project to help all the poor indigent kids attending Punahou. One of the most expensive high schools in the country ($26K per year). Same school Steve Case, Barry Obama, Gerry Lopez, Pierre Omidyar, Carissa Moore, Sanford Dole, Elbert Tuttle, Buster Crabbe, Fred Hemmings, Sun Yat Sen, Hiram Bingham, William Richards Castle, and Peter Ho. This online fundraiser/gofundme crp is getting out of hand.

poor poor punahou kids....
View attachment 96551
Regarding the Lady who stopped the wedding . The backstory that was related to me is that the members of the "wedding party" were not tourists, but a family that has lived here for years. The house being used is not a vacation rental, but the owner is lifelong friends with the couple who were using the backyard to renew their wedding vows.

Last edited:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Regarding the Lady who stopped the wedding . The backstory that was related to me is that the members of the "wedding party" were not tourists, but a family that has lived here for years. The house being used is not a vacation rental, but the owner is lifelong friends with the couple who were using the backyard to renew their wedding vows.
understood
I believe they were good loving people along with the owner of the house that had an important day of their life ruined because of planning laziness the guy performing the wedding admitted on tv he should knew better and made a mistake.
There was a beautiful backyard like those places at diamondhead used for weddings that, if some time was spent could have made a setting for a beautiful wedding shot. Going to the beach was just a cheap and easy way to get a good shot.

But if all the wedding photo services started doing this at magic island, sunset beach, punaluu, lanikai and other majestic beach photo ops what about the all regular beach users like surfers who can even stop to talk story with each other without getting a ticket.

With the new 5 person gathering rule everywhere home, work, etc. even something like that would now be in violation of caldwell/ige's decree,. Even now at work we are not allowed to have 5 people in any physical group meeting/discussion setting for any reason, You have to do it over the phone or zoom even if you are in the same area or on the same floor/building. That's how bad the contamination is. When they set the 5 person rule they were kind of saying 1/6 in a group might be infected and infect someone else versus 1/11. That's how it was relayed to us managers at work even though they don't want to say that publically and scare all the employees. They are desperately trying to get people out of the office an isolated at home at this point.

• Wow
Reactions: PJ

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
My daily workout is usually a beach run with my wife from Ehukai to Keiki and back. Couple of lifeguard buddies sometimes join us. Can't do that anymore, but the lifeguards get a pass from the cops. One of them told me just grab some red trunks and do it, but I feel bad cheating so I've switched to swims, which is allowed. Weird rules. Got there this morning and there was some lady I have never seen before running on the beach and it made my blood boil. There's a violator hotline to rat people out but I have never had that hall monitor personality so I just did my swim and came home.

Rode a longboard at Queens yesterday with my kid, that was kinda fun, but man it's been years since I surfed there, what a strange crowd.

Picked up my daughter's school packet and got her set up for online. What a let down. Her senior year at Kahuku. Poor kid.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
This thread is the first I've ever heard of Micronesians. Picturing Indonesian people, but much smaller...
You never heard of the people of the giant stones that were used as money before?

Teachers of America, here is another example of your utter failure. :p

Or stringcheese was making doodle art on his Pee-chee folder during that brief moment of education.

Last edited:
Reactions: stringcheese

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Some lady on a facebook group was ranting because she received a ticket for walking through Kailua District Park. Someone who witnessed it said that the Officer was being cool and was just telling people that they can't walk there anymore. She decided to go full Kailua Karen so the cop gave her a ticket. lol

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
You never heard of the people of the giant stone that were used as money before?

Teachers of America, here is another example of your utter failure. :p

Or stringcheese was making doodle art on his Pee-chee folder during that brief moment of education.
Pretty much. I spent most of every class drawing, except math and science. That was with a teacher in the room. Good luck zoom teachers! :drowning:

Cool read though, thanks! What a strange, ever changing world we live in.

"The monetary system of Yap relies on an oral history of ownership. In the case of stones that are too large to move, buying an item with one simply involves agreeing that the ownership has changed. As long as the transaction is recorded in the oral history, it will now be owned by the person to whom it is passed and no physical movement of the stone is required."

Well that's just....hmm...

Reactions: Mr Doof

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i once accidentally walked thru a wedding. they were having it on the stairs to a popular surf spot at sunset. bunch of people were stopped in front of me so i walked around em. suddenly i was walking right thru the very stupidly planned wedding. twas too late to stop so i just rushed thru.
its not like at the bottom of a public stairway i check to see whats happining 50 stairs up b4 going....

• Haha
Reactions: stringcheese

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
until another group comes along here which they always do, micronesians currently inhabit the very bottom of the social ladder here in Hawaii. Most came for the medical from the Compact of Free Association treaty the US signed because of Bikini guilt.
It's the classic clash of cultures until assimilation. Until then they will get into the most trouble and be the most mis-understood.
It was the same when the vietnamese boat people came in the 70's and the tongans.

I was walking back to work at the financial plaza one evening and right in front of Pioneer Plaza on King St, a lady was dragging a 2-3 year old by the leg while holding a baby walking towards china town. The kid was being dragged on the sidewalk laying down arms out crying. No one said anything and she acted like it was just a normal thing to do. I guess if it was dirt it wouldn't have hurt as much. I'm not 6ft but her head wasn't even up to my shoulders.

We had a branch out in Palau and the branch manager was married to a local. I heard it was beautiful but to watch out for the Betel nut stains your teeth.
I understand there is a body of archeological evidence that Micronesians were the first immigrants to Hawaii, predating the Tahitians and other Polynesians by centuries. The Menehune of Hawaiian legend.