Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I demo'd SBD's 5'10 Flare before I ordered mine. From my understanding, compared to the stonk Flare it's more pulled in at the outline and has a little more rocker at both ends.

When I emailed Tim to order, he said he could base my order off of SBD's file if I wanted, but I ended up opting for the stonk file for a little more low end. I ordered the exact same length/width/thickness (5'10 x 20 x 2.56) for my boar, and the two are definitely different.

@silentbutdeadly might chime in with more input. Make sure you ask for his delicious rail profile though
How’s the low end of your new flare compare to low end of your rocket fish? Completely different boards I realize but trying to suss out how low it goes.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Is there a DD version of the flare? Not looking for an actual step up like the flare-up. But some elements of the flare adjusted for a slightly longer/narrower outline and rocker?

edit: I own a GX and it doesn't feel or look like what I'm picturing a slightly better wave flare could be.
How does it differ from your expectations?

What's worked with me is tell him the attributes of the flare you like, what you'd want a stretched out version to do and wave size range, and tell him why the GX doesn't fit the bill. He'll set you up the right way.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I demo'd SBD's 5'10 Flare before I ordered mine. From my understanding, compared to the stonk Flare it's more pulled in at the outline and has a little more rocker at both ends.

When I emailed Tim to order, he said he could base my order off of SBD's file if I wanted, but I ended up opting for the stonk file for a little more low end. I ordered the exact same length/width/thickness (5'10 x 20 x 2.56) for my boar, and the two are definitely different.

@silentbutdeadly might chime in with more input. Make sure you ask for his delicious rail profile though
Since getting my b spot I will be ordering a replacement to my flare, giving it more stability and lower end. With my rails of course :p

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Wow, thanks for the detail. Makes sense and I appreciate it.
You betcha homeslice. I would say if one wanted a little more low end, step down feel to the board, going shorter and wider would no doubt help in that regard. Or check out the Re-Run since I think it has a little wider outline stock.

I mostly ride mine as a thruster but also had some fun small wave sessions running it as a quad w/ the Futures Hayden set.

I'm not sure how the GBX really compares to the Flare. Probably similar rocker overall rocker but maybe a little different flow and more subtle bottom contours and Vee out the tail on the GBX.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
How’s the low end of your new flare compare to low end of your rocket fish? Completely different boards I realize but trying to suss out how low it goes.
Haven't ridden the Flare as much as I'd like to yet, but from my limited sessions I'd say their low end is probably similar, with the nod going to the Flare for beach break. Different strokes of course with the Rocket Fish being a twin keel setup. Flare more "normal shortboard" thickness foil, Rocket Fish more retro.

Reactions: slipped_disc

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Haven't ridden the Flare as much as I'd like to yet, but from my limited sessions I'd say their low end is probably similar, with the nod going to the Flare for beach break. Different strokes of course with the Rocket Fish being a twin keel setup. Flare more "normal shortboard" thickness foil, Rocket Fish more retro.
Thanks. I may just have to swoop on one.

Reactions: tedshred5

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
How does it differ from your expectations?

What's worked with me is tell him the attributes of the flare you like, what you'd want a stretched out version to do and wave size range, and tell him why the GX doesn't fit the bill. He'll set you up the right way.
Thanks. That's how I've ordered from him before. Just to be clear. I grabbed the GX used, not at all looking for it to be a more refined version of my flare specifically. Just wanted to see how it went.

I've found I don't connect with the extreme-ish hip in the GX. It seems to break my turns in a very abrupt way.

I can't be the only one who has wanted a slightly better wave flare, am I???

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Thanks. That's how I've ordered from him before. Just to be clear. I grabbed the GX used, not at all looking for it to be a more refined version of my flare specifically. Just wanted to see how it went.

I've found I don't connect with the extreme-ish hip in the GX. It seems to break my turns in a very abrupt way.

get a toned down venereal flare-up

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Anybody familiar with his blindspot model? I want a step up from my grinderX and he suggested it.
I had a 5’9x19.50x2.4 which was a little small for me (i should have trusted his suggestion). I want a board for overhead beachbreaks. I was thinking 6’0” but Tim said 5’11”. I’m kinda worried the 5’11 won’t have enough foam.

Reactions: JDJ

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I just got one and there are some reviews not to far up above. What size is your GX?

For reference, when I had a GX it was 5'11" 19.75 2.56 and my B Spot is 6'1" 19.63 2.56 and seems perfect.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008

You are definitely not. I just ordered a bunch of boards from Stamps and was asking him about it because the 5'10 Flare I got a year ago has become my favorite board. But...While the width makers it very user friendly it also can catch a bit if I really lay into a turn on a decent wave. Looking to bump it up just enough to fit those chest to head high days where the 5'10 seems to prefer waist to shoulder.

When an asked Tim I think he was thinking larger waves (head plus) so he suggested a Flare up. I didn't ask more but I'm thinking for the next Flare 1-2" longer .25" narrower slightly more pulled in nose rocker and bottom contour adjusted according to his input.

Reactions: frontsidegrab

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Anybody familiar with his blindspot model? I want a step up from my grinderX and he suggested it.
I had a 5’9x19.50x2.4 which was a little small for me (i should have trusted his suggestion). I want a board for overhead beachbreaks. I was thinking 6’0” but Tim said 5’11”. I’m kinda worried the 5’11 won’t have enough foam.
I had two, a squash and step up round of it.

5’10 x 19.5 x 2.28 gx
6’1 x 19.25 x 2.28 bs squash
6’3 x 19 x 2.28 bs round

I also had a 6’1x19x2.32 gx round.

Reactions: JDJ and paunch23

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Got it
I am 5’9”.
He’s adding some extra foam towards the chest area.
I just got one and there are some reviews not to far up above. What size is your GX?

For reference, when I had a GX it was 5'11" 19.75 2.56 and my B Spot is 6'1" 19.63 2.56 and seems perfect.
so my GX: 5’9”x19.50x2.4
BS suggested: 5’11x19.38x2.56

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I would go 6’0. I don’t think 5’11 will give you enough of a distinction with the Gx. Dims otherwise look good.

Reactions: sdsrfr

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Anyone riding a Flare/GX mashup? Tim and I have been discussing this design for my next order other than a Blindspot. I might do a 2-fer and get a better graveler than my Fuse turned out to be.

Reactions: JDJ

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Anyone riding a Flare/GX mashup? Tim and I have been discussing this design for my next order other than a Blindspot. I might do a 2-fer and get a better graveler than my Fuse turned out to be.
I'm confused. A B spot is a step up from the GX so how would a flare/gx be compared to that?

for the graveler are you talking about a completely different model all together?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I'm confused. A B spot is a step up from the GX so how would a flare/gx be compared to that?

for the graveler are you talking about a completely different model all together?
I asked for a more HP Flare, something to sit between it (5'8) and my 6'0 Ghost. He said he could do a "tuned-up" Flare and also mentioned the Flare/GX mashup which he said he likes and has had such good feedback that he's considering making it a model.

Yes, the graveler would be something completely different. I was hoping my 5'6 Fuse would have filled that spot, but it ended up a little too foiled and needs more push than I had hoped. I'll be selling it fairly soon. It's 5'6.5" x 20.5" x 2.38" (29.65L) in Venerael carbonara (grey tint).