Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I asked for a more HP Flare, something to sit between it (5'8) and my 6'0 Ghost. He said he could do a "tuned-up" Flare and also mentioned the Flare/GX mashup which he said he likes and has had such good feedback that he's considering making it a model.

Yes, the graveler would be something completely different. I was hoping my 5'6 Fuse would have filled that spot, but it ended up a little too foiled and needs more push than I had hoped. I'll be selling it fairly soon. It's 5'6.5" x 20.5" x 2.38" (29.65L) in Venerael carbonara (grey tint).
I had a similar outcome on my fuse. I forget, do you also have a flare? How would you compare your low-end of your fuse vs flare?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I had a similar outcome on my fuse. I forget, do you also have a flare? How would you compare your low-end of your fuse vs flare?
Yes, I have a 5'8 Flare in Varial that's my DD and an all time fave. Despite their both being around the same liters (29ish), the Flare has much better low end IMO. The rails are chonkier on the Flare which is Varial/poly. The Fuse is Varial/carbon/epoxy.

Reactions: slipped_disc

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Is the Gx/Flare a Gx without the bump and a wider nose?
Not really sure, from an email exchange with Tim this am:

"...we can 'tune up' the Flare or shift to a different model depending on what you are after.

i'd done a bunch of the flare/gX mashup blends along the way as well. done a few for a good friend and he really like em....
should put out a model, but then it kinda blends the line....
made myself one last year in hopes of 'releasing' it out on the 'menu', but it flew outta my truck and got smashed up...

working on website the last bit, so maybe it will happen. i know lots of people kinda want the best of both worlds..."

Reactions: JDJ and tedshred5

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Yes, I have a 5'8 Flare in Varial that's my DD and an all time fave. Despite their both being around the same liters (29ish), the Flare has much better low end IMO. The rails are chonkier on the Flare which is Varial/poly. The Fuse is Varial/carbon/epoxy.
Ok now I'm really jacked up. I had two fuse models and both groveled siginificantly better than my flare, and it's a combo of the flare and quantum quad so I would expect it too. My flare is foiled more than both of my fuse's were.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
"...we can 'tune up' the Flare or shift to a different model depending on what you are after.

i'd done a bunch of the flare/gX mashup blends along the way as well. done a few for a good friend and he really like em....
should put out a model, but then it kinda blends the line....
made myself one last year in hopes of 'releasing' it out on the 'menu', but it flew outta my truck and got smashed up...

working on website the last bit, so maybe it will happen. i know lots of people kinda want the best of both worlds..."
Tim been reading the erbb

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Ok now I'm really jacked up. I had two fuse models and both groveled siginificantly better than my flare, and it's a combo of the flare and quantum quad so I would expect it too. My flare is foiled more than both of my fuse's were.
but how were the rails?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Mine are the opposite. I think if my Fuse had the same foam distribution in the rails it may have graveled better than my Flare.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Think a Banana Fish would be a grovel/stepdown from the Flare? They have the same rocker, no? Would it be redundant to have both? Paging @JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Think a Banana Fish would be a grovel/stepdown from the Flare? They have the same rocker, no? Would it be redundant to have both? Paging @JDJ
Banana Fish and Flare overlap only to the extent that 90% of So Cal boards overlap because they need to work in shoulder high mush.

But they have very different outlines and they ride differently. BF definitely feels very much like a fish. I ride mine as a quad with its wide tail. Flare feels like a hpsb with some added low end range. I think any overlap will also depend on the dims and if they’re too similar.

For the BF, I would ask if you have a fish that you like and if you wanted a little more rocker while retaining the characteristics that make it a fish. I think it’s a great board and I use mine as a shortboard step down.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
do get the venereal flare-up if u can