Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

nickpheous

Michael Peterson status
Apr 8, 2008
Huntington Beach
For once the planets align. Been traveling like a mother and was expecting an email tomorrow after I will be done for a bit. Got the email today and just happened to be in the inland empire wrapping up work around noon.

6'1 Blindspot. 19.63 2.56 with my rails that I love so much. Stock.

View attachment 175077
View attachment 175078
Nice! I have a 6' x 19 3/4 x 2.6 blindspot swallow tail on order. Went to Tim thinking I was going to order a Warhawk but he convinced me that this is what I need. Should be done soon. :jamon:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Normally when I get a freshy, the surf decides that I shouldn't ride it but the mother ocean has blessed me with some great opportunities on the B spot. I think it's a great forgiving hpsb for me. Got a nice variety of waves this week and felt like it allowed me to do some great surfing on it. One session on the mayhems and two on the JJF's. I put the mayhems back in after today's session cause they seemed to have more flex and twang. Like his other boards, it just works.

And there still isn't anything better than a thruster on a proper wave.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Just picked up my boars on Monday.
Grinder X on the leff: 5"11",19.75,2.44
Warhawk on the Right: 6'2", 19.25, 2.5

Gave Tim a couple of six packs of our local Henhouse Brewery beers.View attachment 175142View attachment 175143
You’ll be psyched. The GX has a ton of range. I got one for conditions similar to what you have up by you, and it loves it. But it’s also been fun at some of the points around here too.

Reactions: nolibos and JDJ
Jan 3, 2024
big boy dims. love my 6-2 rerun but this one is on the chunky side even for my fat old ass.
I'm a thiq boy, 5'11" 200 lbs, just haven't put the time in on this. Find myself on my fish and other stuff more often. Not in a rush to sell as it's a sick board and stamps is a legend

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Is there a DD version of the flare? Not looking for an actual step up like the flare-up. But some elements of the flare adjusted for a slightly longer/narrower outline and rocker?

edit: I own a GX and it doesn't feel or look like what I'm picturing a slightly better wave flare could be.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Is there a DD version of the flare? Not looking for an actual step up like the flare-up. But some elements of the flare adjusted for a slightly longer/narrower outline and rocker?

edit: I own a GX and it doesn't feel or look like what I'm picturing a slightly better wave flare could be.
Flare and GX are actually quite different.

just tell tim what you want out of the flare and dont want based off your gx, and he will steer you better than any of us.

tl;dr - order a custom flare, just tell tim what you would have told us.

Reactions: oeste858

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
How does a giggle box surf differently than the GX and Flare?
Comparing the Gigglebox to a GX that I had some years ago at the same length:

GBX paddles and catches waves better with the beak nose and lower rocker. It's a more forgiving, stable ride with the flatter deck and the vee out the tail so it feels a little more planted and a little less lively off the tail, for better or worse. This to me is the main difference between the GBX and a more "normal" modern, concave bottom thruster type board. It doesn't have as much of that lifty, twitchy feel and it doesn't need to be worked for speed as much but it also isn't as explosive in the pocket.

The GBX does pretty well in small stuff but I think for making the most of tiny pockets the GX is better. The GBX carries much more foam forward in the foil and I find it rewards a more balanced or front footed approach. It will do snap in the pocket and it's not a stiff board but it isn't as quick to react as the GX. It rolls rail to rail nicely, but it wants to draw a longer arc and is better for carves than snaps IMO.

It handles much more size than the GX and is a beast in choppy conditions. It just plows through bumps and stays planted. There is a point when the waves are steeper than ideal and I want something with more rocker but as far as size I have ridden mine in solid double overhead ground swell and it handled well.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

I demo'd SBD's 5'10 Flare before I ordered mine. From my understanding, compared to the stonk Flare it's more pulled in at the outline and has a little more rocker at both ends.

When I emailed Tim to order, he said he could base my order off of SBD's file if I wanted, but I ended up opting for the stonk file for a little more low end. I ordered the exact same length/width/thickness (5'10 x 20 x 2.56) for my boar, and the two are definitely different.

@silentbutdeadly might chime in with more input. Make sure you ask for his delicious rail profile though

Reactions: oeste858 and Aruka