***The Official Running Thread***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
@Kento try these for shin splints.

i think backwards walking up a hill or pulling a weight sled is better but this is a good place to start and you can do it anywhere.
Out of curiousity I went and looked at articles about shin splints (I've never had them). I immediately found the usual RX's, one of which included proper shoes. Since I run in sandals, basically a 1/4" thick piece of hard rubber starapped to my feet, I'm always skeptical about shoes as a panacea.

I found this-

No guaranteed fixes at this tme.

Reactions: Aruka

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

i think backwards walking up a hill or pulling a weight sled is better but this is a good place to start and you can do it anywhere.
Good stuff - thanks! Gonna get started on that pronto. Funny thing - not dissimilar to how you alleviate calf cramps while surfing.

Muscle has felt pretty unstable to the point it feels like my knee will hyperextend if I take an awkward step. It probably does stretch out a little while running but pain and instability come back quick afterwards

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Good stuff - thanks! Gonna get started on that pronto. Funny thing - not dissimilar to how you alleviate calf cramps while surfing.

Muscle has felt pretty unstable to the point it feels like my knee will hyperextend if I take an awkward step. It probably does stretch out a little while running but pain and instability come back quick afterwards
Are you doing any other strength stuff?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Not really. Pretty much just aerobic exercise with occasional lifting and moving of heavy-ish stuff around the house/backyard.
I'll preface this by saying I never did any cross training besides surfing while I was doing the marathons. Then I injured my back. Now I'm on the "Do you even deadlift Bro?" program. I only do the barbell one day a week. I run twice a week (back on the 10k with sprints and 13 mile program). I surf as much as I can ...which is not at all right now :(

Reactions: slipped_disc

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
My ankle has been bugging me.
Up and down seems fine, even pushing off and landing while running is ok.
But turning the bottom of my foot up (sitting down, pick your right foot up off the ground and rotate the bottom of your foot up to your left without twisting it left or right) feels pretty stiff, sore and full.

It also doesn't feel good to twist it inward, but less so.

So running isn't painful, but aftwerward, I've been sore and worried I'll make it worse. It certainly doesn't feel good and unexpected movements (I was walking outside to put some laundry on the line) can bring little micro corrections that remind me it's sore. I buzzed it with a theragun and my achilles zone was sore as well. I might be landing poorly (striking? idk) with too much force on the outside of my foot. i'm not sure.

• Sad
Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Hope that gets better, Bob.

After a day of rest on Monday, am back on the training routine. 7 miles today with 10 uphill 1/4-mile intervals, doing them on roughly 2 minutes apiece. Left leg felt like crap at first and had significant limp but evened out after a quarter mile or so jogging to the uphill section I like, gradually gets steeper (200 ft/mile) before getting very steep (1,000+ ft/mile) at the "end", where I would sprint that last 25 yards uphill. Top of my left hamstring/bottom glute connection feels a bit stiff and some residual pressing pain ranging from 1 to 3 inches below my left kneecap - just hoping I can push through it over then next several weeks and that the pain will alleviate just like the right IT band did.

Not sure how those Zone 2 calcs exactly work but have resting heart rate of around 41 (dr's office) and peak heart rate of 175-180. Think I averaged around 148 over the course of this morning's run. Cardio feels fine - it's the legs that are trying to mutiny. I tell them the beatings will continue until morale improves.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
I have a Gamin Fenix6 which I absolutely love. Battery life is solid and GPS tracking is pretty darn good, definitely better than some of the smaller watches and iPhones. Plus it's nice having trails/maps for places you're not familiar with, especially for hiking. Wrist based heart rate isn't quite the accuracy of a chest strap, but it's close enough.

On-the-fly pace numbers are generally inaccurate, as GPS is constantly trying to lock your position, but GPS is better as you lay down a longer track. For that reason, I'll check my times when I get to half mile increments for a better pacing estimate.

I'm pretty sure you can edit your heart rate zones if you calculated different values than what is automatically given by Garmin. If I'm going for an easy Zone 2 run, I don't pay attention to HR too closely, I just go by feel for what is easy. Used to run full gas for all my runs, which were generally around 4-5 miles, but I finally wised up.

Reactions: Kento

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Today about 7am when I did my daily 2.4 miles, for some reason I was way ahead of schedule at the half-way point. So, I felt good and decided to push it a little and see if I could get a better than usual time. I was surprised and delighted to see I broke my record of over 10 years! My time was 23:14 for 2.4 miles. The reason why is I was thinking about some discussion I was in here somewhere, and I forgot I was running, and I'm 68.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

Props to this. Not sure of the frequency but doing 25 reps of those 2-3 times a day has helped a ton. Still have to even out that wobble when I start running but it only took about 0.2 mile before that muscle loosened up and pain abated. Considering where I was on Monday, that's huge. And it's getting better quickly - glad I sacked up and powered through the pain because I don't want to get complacent in training for this marathon, which is less than 2 months away.

Put in about 24 miles the last 3 days, including 9 miles today at around 72 minutes (including a couple necessary pauses at traffic lights), finished hard the last couple hundred yards with a lot left in the tank. One of my better, if not best, runs to date. Stocked.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Top of my left hamstring/bottom glute connection feels a bit stiff and some residual pressing pain ranging from 1 to 3 inches below my left kneecap - just hoping I can push through it over then next several weeks and that the pain will alleviate just like the right IT band did.

Careful about pushing through the pain. Rest days are absolutely essential. When does your tapering phase start?

I did my weekly 13 yesterday after surfing 2 hours in the morning. I thought I'd be OK because it was a pretty lazy surf session, no paddle out beat downs and some long waits for inconsistent sets. But the last 4 miles I was feeling pretty fatigued. Managed to finish in 2 hours.

I like to share songs from my running playlist that help. This one came on during the "hurt" portion of my run and put a spring back into my step, until the end where they change the beat and segue into a more swing rhythm (3:30)...then it totally fuks me up.

This one helped too-

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I do a few of these every morning. They call it a hip flexor stretch but it stretched the hamstrings, glutes and calves as well.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Careful about pushing through the pain. Rest days are absolutely essential. When does your tapering phase start?

I did my weekly 13 yesterday after surfing 2 hours in the morning. I thought I'd be OK because it was a pretty lazy surf session, no paddle out beat downs and some long waits for inconsistent sets. But the last 4 miles I was feeling pretty fatigued. Managed to finish in 2 hours.

I like to share songs from my running playlist that help. This one came on during the "hurt" portion of my run and put a spring back into my step, until the end where they change the beat and segue into a more swing rhythm (3:30)...then it totally fuks me up.

This one helped too-

Thanks - tomorrow is rest day, Saturday is just 3M jog, most of which I will do with my daughter to help her train for her 5K. Then running 18 miler on Sunday. Not tapering until early August although may be a slightly longer taper as going to Hawaii late July/early August and probably won't be running much there.

Don't know why but even if it seems I don't strain them in the water, my calves always get twingy if playing basketball or running shortly afterwards.

A lot of my runs are along the shoulder of the road so I don't dare use anything that would block my hearing. Relatively rural with some hills/blind spots so need to be fully aware of surroundings.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Thanks - tomorrow is rest day, Saturday is just 3M jog, most of which I will do with my daughter to help her train for her 5K. Then running 18 miler on Sunday. Not tapering until early August although may be a slightly longer taper as going to Hawaii late July/early August and probably won't be running much there.

Don't know why but even if it seems I don't strain them in the water, my calves always get twingy if playing basketball or running shortly afterwards.

A lot of my runs are along the shoulder of the road so I don't dare use anything that would block my hearing. Relatively rural with some hills/blind spots so need to be fully aware of surroundings.
My runs are mostly on the Strand. I figure if I get hit it will be by a teenager on an E-bike and I wouldn't hear them comng even with music. Now that school's out there's a lot of them. I've told myself if I ever get hit by someone on an e-bike Imma punch em in the face, no matter age or sex. "My arm was flailing trying to break my fall."

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
My runs are mostly on the Strand. I figure if I get hit it will be by a teenager on an E-bike and I wouldn't hear them comng even with music. Now that school's out there's a lot of them. I've told myself if I ever get hit by someone on an e-bike Imma punch em in the face, no matter age or sex. "My arm was flailing trying to break my fall."
I was laughing at this hipster on an E-scooter heading straight at me on the boardwalk. Saw him coming and announced that this was a game of chicken he was going to lose. And he did. I was coiling up for the forearm shiver too. :roflmao:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I do a few of these every morning. They call it a hip flexor stretch but it stretched the hamstrings, glutes and calves as well.

I do this one and the variation where you put your back foot up on a bench or against a wall. The Couch stretch I think it's called.

Stocked to hear @Kento . 25 reps x 2-3 sets sounds good. Once that becomes too easy or if you just want something different you can try backwards walking up a steep hill, on a treadmill or pulling a weighted sled. You will get the same tib workout but also hit the quads and other upper leg muscles doing these. I have a steep hill below my house and no one around to make fun of me so I do the hill method but I'm planning on building a ghetto sled out of an old tire and some weight plates to drag around one of these days.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
18 miles in the books this morning, a substantial chunk worth (12 miles worth) on the marathon course. I guess there was a bike road race (triathlon) along my route that I did not know about. At least I was going against flow and stayed well to the side - not even close to an issue. Laughed with the CHP guy on traffic detail about my poor planning. All good. Well into the course apparently so all the bikers were pretty spread out. So funny - what are the odds? Really is in the middle of nowhere.

Did the 18 miles in 2:38, with half marathon split at 1:54. Combined with a couple roadside pisses along the way and leisurely gel slams. Felt pretty damn good - didn't exert myself too hard, could easily maintain conversation if presented with such, just cruised it. Still have a couple of those nagging injuries but they're gradually getting better. 9 weeks to go. 45 miles in the books total this week which is the most I've ever done by far. Tomorrow is definitely a day of rest.