***The Official Running Thread***

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
My routine is 2.4 miles almost every morning. It takes me between 25 and 27 minutes. I miss a couple days a month if I will be doing yard work or going surfing. When the weather is hot I jog earlier. My loop around the neighborhood is 1.2 miles which I do twice.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Super stressful times with kid activities/meltdowns, legal BS I'm still working through, and so much other sh!t, sticking with that running routine has been one of the things that has kept me sane. Surreal out-of-body experience as I am running better than I ever dreamed possible. Went up to Mendo this weekend for Mother's Day and wanted to get that 10 mile run in Saturday morning. Trouble there was that I was so stressed out from all the stuff going on that I did not sleep a wink on Friday night.

Good time to see how those caffeine gels go. My caffeine tolerance is 0 right now (and I used to drink 8+ cups/day) and I perked right up, got those 10 miles in with another gel at halfway point, route took me through where the horror of my previous marathon took place. Low undulating hills, nothing major but 18-ish miles in last year, that broke me mentally as I was already in massive physical discomfort and that's where the walking started. But yeah, no worries aside from having to meander into the occasional ditch to not get run over. Beautiful run, got back, drove up to Mendo, still so much stress on my mind even after 17 miles worth of movement that day, hotel was oppressively hot, didn't sleep that night either. Sucked.

But after a double-Nyquil dose Sunday evening and 12 hours of sleep, jogged 3 miles last night and then cranked out five 1/2-mile intervals this morning with a peripheral jog/cooldown, 6 miles total. Was only supposed to go out around 4 minutes for each one but felt so good after a 1-mile warmup jog, let it loose but not too fast, knowing there were four more. Looked at clock - 3:05 was not shabby at all. Why not keep at it? The 4th one kind of sucked as was dreading doing one more at that pace but last one was as fast as the first since light was strong at end of tunnel, did them all between 3:05 and 3:20. Pretty cool knowledge that I can run a 6 minute mile relatively handily as I could have definitely gone faster if wasn't trying to pace myself. Never dreamed it- stocked. Could probably get down to near 5 if I trained my ass off.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Super stressful times with kid activities/meltdowns, legal BS I'm still working through, and so much other sh!t, sticking with that running routine has been one of the things that has kept me sane. Surreal out-of-body experience as I am running better than I ever dreamed possible. Went up to Mendo this weekend for Mother's Day and wanted to get that 10 mile run in Saturday morning. Trouble there was that I was so stressed out from all the stuff going on that I did not sleep a wink on Friday night.

Good time to see how those caffeine gels go. My caffeine tolerance is 0 right now (and I used to drink 8+ cups/day) and I perked right up, got those 10 miles in with another gel at halfway point, route took me through where the horror of my previous marathon took place. Low undulating hills, nothing major but 18-ish miles in last year, that broke me mentally as I was already in massive physical discomfort and that's where the walking started. But yeah, no worries aside from having to meander into the occasional ditch to not get run over. Beautiful run, got back, drove up to Mendo, still so much stress on my mind even after 17 miles worth of movement that day, hotel was oppressively hot, didn't sleep that night either. Sucked.

But after a double-Nyquil dose Sunday evening and 12 hours of sleep, jogged 3 miles last night and then cranked out five 1/2-mile intervals this morning with a peripheral jog/cooldown, 6 miles total. Was only supposed to go out around 4 minutes for each one but felt so good after a 1-mile warmup jog, let it loose but not too fast, knowing there were four more. Looked at clock - 3:05 was not shabby at all. Why not keep at it? The 4th one kind of sucked as was dreading doing one more at that pace but last one was as fast as the first since light was strong at end of tunnel, did them all between 3:05 and 3:20. Pretty cool knowledge that I can run a 6 minute mile relatively handily as I could have definitely gone faster if wasn't trying to pace myself. Never dreamed it- stocked. Could probably get down to near 5 if I trained my ass off.
Do they have those pace groups in the SR Marathon? You should tag along the 3:30 or even 3:15 group at the rate you're going. (y)

I posted this in the Calf Injury thread in Surf Doc forum, but couldn't hurt any runner to do-

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Do they have those pace groups in the SR Marathon? You should tag along the 3:30 or even 3:15 group at the rate you're going. (y)

I posted this in the Calf Injury thread in Surf Doc forum, but couldn't hurt any runner to do-

They do. I spent the first two miles bobbing and weaving like Muhammad Ali trying to keep with the 3:30 pacer like an idiot only to painfully and eventually watch the 4 hour pacer pass me by. Don't want that to happen this year so putting the work in with 30+ mile weeks so far. Will also be more disciplined to start. And hey, good dividends so far. 3:30 or better is my goal, despite the training program for 3:45.

Those exercises look like I something I should be doing. (y)

Reactions: tacos

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Pretty cool knowledge that I can run a 6 minute mile relatively handily as I could have definitely gone faster if wasn't trying to pace myself. Never dreamed it- stocked. Could probably get down to near 5 if I trained my ass off.
That's amazing man! Congrats!

I've only been running about once a week. Yoga and playing drums have just been more fun lately.

Reactions: tacos and Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Forgot that Bay to Breakers was on this weekend - cool. :shaka:

A month into this training program, was desperate to surf Sunday morning before running but not that desperate for what was on offer. Blech (of course it's good the remainder of the work week - naturally). Lot of peripheral noise while sleeping night before so was kinda lethargic waking up and not particular motivated for anything. Gorging on snack shack food (burgers, tenders, fries, etc.) on Saturday at son's Little League game and continuing that throughout dinner with large ice cream dessert probably didn't help that cause either. Totally not fiending for calories.

Call for that training day was fastest 5M and/or 10K, period. 80 degrees out, minimal sleep, feeling wonky, fuck it, let's rip it. Warmup run and then got myself going at a 7 minute pace with the hopes of speeding that up in last mile or two, finishing around 45 minutes. Yeah, that didn't happen at all. Pretty much bonked 4 miles into that pace, still did the respective distances in 40 and 50 minutes, which really isn't terrible considering the number of walk/drink breaks I had to take those last couple miles - quads were toast. Didn't achieve what I really sought out to do but I needed that reality check and it makes me feel a little more grounded. Last leg of a 33 mile week, by far most I've ever done so pretty stocked on that too.

Last edited:

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Currently nursing sore legs (and a hangover) after Bay to Breakers. Super fun race. Tried to hold back but accidentally ran my first mile ~20 seconds faster than I wanted (One-Off called it :monkey:) , tried to ease off the gas a little, which I overshot and ran 2nd mile slower than I wanted (difficulty pacing with phone GPS). By that time it was time for Hayes Hill which wrecked me and was hard to recover from for the last half of the run. Ended up with a time of 54:32.

Dick count was north (no pun) of 20. Was also behind an older dude in a g-string for the first 2 miles.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Currently nursing sore legs (and a hangover) after Bay to Breakers. Super fun race. Tried to hold back but accidentally ran my first mile ~20 seconds faster than I wanted (One-Off called it :monkey:) , tried to ease off the gas a little, which I overshot and ran 2nd mile slower than I wanted (difficulty pacing with phone GPS). By that time it was time for Hayes Hill which wrecked me and was hard to recover from for the last half of the run. Ended up with a time of 54:32.

Dick count was north (no pun) of 20. Was also behind an older dude in a g-string for the first 2 miles.
Must suck to run while watching dicks (no pun)! No nekkid gurls for positive motivation? All in all that's a really good time a good time.

I ran 9miles yesterday. My calf was sore from the get go, but I went slow and focused on breathing, in through the nose, out through the mouth (I think they call it dragon's breath) using abdomen to expel air. Last night calf was really sore but today's not so bad, so I'm on the mend...

Reactions: tacos and Boneroni

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Redeemed myself yesterday, running what was supposed to be marathon pace and ran the 5 miles in 39 minutes and change which was a minute faster than me trying to go all out on Sunday. Pretty comical but had my head on straighter, ran pretty steady 7:40-8:00 pace whole way but no way would I be able to do that pace (yet) for 21 more miles. It being 20 degrees cooler also helped a bit but overall running pretty well and aside from either ankle occasionally whinging or temporarily painful stair descent, recovering pretty quickly. Icing would probably help more but that requires effort.

That training program helps a lot - I wouldn't be as motivated or disciplined if I was just winging it. Digging the results so far.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Went to a picnic with a few families at the beach on Wednesday, and there was a 5K called Nite Moves. I'd never done a race before, but I had not exercised yet that day and decided to do it. Didn't have any expectations of glory and planned on running my regular 9:15-9:30 per mile.

Apparently, it's easy to get carried away and go faster than usual. Ended up with 7:11 average overall and finished 35th out of 150 or so.

Also, was not sore at all the next day. Thank you yoga!

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
6 weeks into that 16 week training program. Have had to shift things around from time to time for trips and such but generally right on with it, couple days have kicked my ass harder than others. Running in the heat (relative; 80 degrees or so) is good reality check. Left a little later than I wanted to so it was a little warmer but beautiful day out to put a 14 mile run in the books at just under 9 minute mile pace, which included a couple traffic lights and other minor hiccups. IT band a little sore but nothing terrible that won't be better by tomorrow, especially if I actually ice it this time.

Nice run through the vineyards along a portion of the marathon route. Fair amount of people out running and biking.

Haven't been eating all that much but not scrimping either; funny thing is weight is staying steady as a rock. Cardio is pretty decent too.

Reactions: Boneroni and tacos

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Down to SoCal next week - hoping to get a few runs in (along with some surf).

What is the condition of bike path going through SM/Venice? Homeless squatters everywhere? Or pretty safe?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Down to SoCal next week - hoping to get a few runs in (along with some surf).

What is the condition of bike path going through SM/Venice? Homeless squatters everywhere? Or pretty safe?
Last I ran there (about three months ago) it was fine. In Venice if you run on the boardwalk instead of out on the bike path (which I would always do to see the circus) you are accompanied by the smell of weed just about the whole way. That may or may not bother you. There was one crazy lady at about Pico who always yelled something at me, "Stop running!" or "Why do you need to run?" There was also one (homeless?) lady with a karaoke set up who sang like Aerthra Franklin. I had to stop and compliment her.

You can park in the structures near Third St., run down down to the path, run up to the Bel Air Bay club and back (10K) in less than 90 minutes (which is free parking). If, ln your return from the Bay Club you run all the way down to the Venice Pier and then back the SM it's a 14 miler. You won't make in time for free parking though. I would do that route starting at Santa Monica College and it was 16 miles which is the longest runs I've done sincew my last marathon.

I would meet up but right now I'm recovering from that calf pull and am running really slow...probably 9 minutes or more. Just putting around. If you want to learn how to run slow...

Last edited:
Reactions: tacos

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Last I ran there (about three months ago) it was fine. In Venice if you run on the boardwalk instead of out on the bike path (which I would always do to see the circus) you are accompanied by the smell of weed just about the whole way. That may or may not bother you. There was one crazy lady at about Pico who always yelled something at me, "Stop running!" or "Why do you need to run?" There was also one (homeless?) lady with a karaoke set up who sang like Aerthra Franklin. I had to stop and compliment her.

You can park in the structures near Third St., run down down to the path, run up to the Bel Air Bay club and back (10K) in less than 90 minutes (which is free parking). If, ln your return from the Bay Club you run all the way down to the Venice Pier and then back the SM it's a 14 miler. You won't make in time for free parking though. I would do that route starting at Santa Monica College and it was 16 miles which is the longest runs I've done sincew my last marathon.

I would meet up but right now I'm recovering from that calf pull and am running really slow...probably 9 minutes or more. Just putting around. If you want to learn how to run slow...
Thanks - good to hear. I just don't want to get stabbed by some crazy homeless guy. Then again I can probably outrun them... E-Bikes are probably a greater danger.

9-9:30 pace is the goal for that 16 miler. Was planning on starting at Will Rogers near Bel Air Bay Club and then running down to MDR and back. I'm OK with paying for parking in the state lot if it keeps my car from getting broken into.

Smell of weed is definitely preferable to freshly mown grass - I get that a lot. Likewise farm manure. I figure the dogs there are so barky because they are lonely and their territorial markings keep getting covered with sheep, goat, and pig sh!t. Who wouldn't be ornery at that?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Thanks - good to hear. I just don't want to get stabbed by some crazy homeless guy. Then again I can probably outrun them... E-Bikes are probably a greater danger.

9-9:30 pace is the goal for that 16 miler. Was planning on starting at Will Rogers near Bel Air Bay Club and then running down to MDR and back. I'm OK with paying for parking in the state lot if it keeps my car from getting broken into.

Smell of weed is definitely preferable to freshly mown grass - I get that a lot. Likewise farm manure. I figure the dogs there are so barky because they are lonely and their territorial markings keep getting covered with sheep, goat, and pig sh!t. Who wouldn't be ornery at that?
I never felt remotely threatened.

After the Venice Pier the path goes inland, up Washington and around Admiralty. I hate that part even on a bike. I sound like an episode of "The Californians" don't I?

I just did 8 miles. It was the first run in along time I didn't start with a sore calf so I pushed it a little. Average 7:35 on the way out, 8:00 on the way back. Stocked to feel strong again.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I never felt remotely threatened.

After the Venice Pier the path goes inland, up Washington and around Admiralty. I hate that part even on a bike. I sound like an episode of "The Californians" don't I?

I just did 8 miles. It was the first run in along time I didn't start with a sore calf so I pushed it a little. Average 7:35 on the way out, 8:00 on the way back. Stocked to feel strong again.
Slept poorly Saturday night as I was kinda amped on doing that long run, only 2 hours of sleep or so, but parked at Will Rogers by Tower 15 jetty, ran up to Bel Air Bay Club, down through venice boardwalk (what a shithole - another tourist trap USA but with more bums) and down to MDR north jetty before doubling back with a little extra to get the full 16 miles in. But that was a lot of concrete; left shin was sapped. Met up with my old college roommate up in Agoura area, hiked up around Chesebro park for 5 miles. Was cool but probably not the greatest idea given the leg fatigue.

Took a couple days break and did about a 7 mile trail run in same area. Little muggy but low 60s, overcast, nice day. Was needed. Felt good to run after that two day break. Swung down the coast but surf was pretty damn mediocre - hopefully picks up sometime when I'm down here.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Slept poorly Saturday night as I was kinda amped on doing that long run, only 2 hours of sleep or so, but parked at Will Rogers by Tower 15 jetty, ran up to Bel Air Bay Club, down through venice boardwalk (what a shithole - another tourist trap USA but with more bums) and down to MDR north jetty before doubling back with a little extra to get the full 16 miles in. But that was a lot of concrete; left shin was sapped. Met up with my old college roommate up in Agoura area, hiked up around Chesebro park for 5 miles. Was cool but probably not the greatest idea given the leg fatigue.

Took a couple days break and did about a 7 mile trail run in same area. Little muggy but low 60s, overcast, nice day. Was needed. Felt good to run after that two day break. Swung down the coast but surf was pretty damn mediocre - hopefully picks up sometime when I'm down here.
I just did my first 13 in months. Almost all concrete (the Strand), no problems. The magic sandals! :waving:
Just under 2 hours, so I felt good about that.

Not much hope for surf right now. I've only surfed one day in the last two weeks. Luckily that one day was really good, but still...summer just started and I can't wait for it to be over.

Reactions: Aruka