***The Official Running Thread***

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
any one wearing Hokas? First time in a store yesterday and there are alot of what seems like redundant options. I went with the Ahari 6 simply cuz they felt the best on my foot.
Friend of mine has them and raves about them.

For trail runners, it sounds like North Face has a special on their Vectivs. Not a bad price for North Face.

Reactions: CutnSnip

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I've done the 3km small lake once a week since May. I felt I needed to increase my stamina :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:
Yesterday I went for the 8km big lake run. My lungs were ok, but my hips, calves and feet got smoked. I had to stop a bunch of times. Gonna do the 8km until I master it :)

A marathon is 5x 8km, how do they even survive?!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've done the 3km small lake once a week since May. I felt I needed to increase my stamina :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:
Yesterday I went for the 8km big lake run. My lungs were ok, but my hips, calves and feet got smoked. I had to stop a bunch of times. Gonna do the 8km until I master it :)

A marathon is 5x 8km, how do they even survive?!
When I would finish a marathon I would think about ultra marathoners, "Now do that 3 more times." :crazy2:

Or you can try the Badwater which is almost 6 marathons and 13,000 feet verticial climb in 100+ degree heat. :crazy2::crazy2:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
When I would finish a marathon I would think about ultra marathoners, "Now do that 3 more times." :crazy2:

Or you can try the Badwater which is almost 6 marathons and 13,000 feet verticial climb in 100+ degree heat. :crazy2::crazy2:
Those guys and girls go super slow and just run on 98 octane ignorance.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That shin has still been bothering me quite a bit since that bike path run a month ago down south and shin splints aren't it. HMO notwithstanding, was able to get a quick referral for sports medicine doc. Been using Brooks Ghost 14 shoes but my ankles pronate a bit and apparently not the greatest shoes for that - so put in inserts from previous shoes. Wear on the shoe soles tells the tale, apparently pushing off on 3rd/4th toe instead of big toe. Windshield wiper exercises with Theraband on ankle help to warm it up and direct ice massage on shin works wonders. Should have done that last night after getting back from hiking around Mt. Tam with family.

Left leg was a little tight this morning but OK once I got moving. 20 miles in the books this morning in about 3:06, with 3 p*ss stops, a few traffic light pauses, and energy gel intake breaks. Mile of freshly laid concrete sidewalk about 4 miles in wasn't the greatest for the legs but powered through it all.

Well deserved rest tomorrow, ran/hiked almost 40 miles in last 3 days - beat!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
That shin has still been bothering me quite a bit since that bike path run a month ago down south and shin splints aren't it. HMO notwithstanding, was able to get a quick referral for sports medicine doc. Been using Brooks Ghost 14 shoes but my ankles pronate a bit and apparently not the greatest shoes for that - so put in inserts from previous shoes. Wear on the shoe soles tells the tale, apparently pushing off on 3rd/4th toe instead of big toe. Windshield wiper exercises with Theraband on ankle help to warm it up and direct ice massage on shin works wonders. Should have done that last night after getting back from hiking around Mt. Tam with family.

Left leg was a little tight this morning but OK once I got moving. 20 miles in the books this morning in about 3:06, with 3 p*ss stops, a few traffic light pauses, and energy gel intake breaks. Mile of freshly laid concrete sidewalk about 4 miles in wasn't the greatest for the legs but powered through it all.

Well deserved rest tomorrow, ran/hiked almost 40 miles in last 3 days - beat!
20 miles in 3 is good. Isn't that further than you ran last year in preparation? How did you feel at the end? And you still have over a month to go. What does your plan say about tapering?

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
20 miles in 3 is good. Isn't that further than you ran last year in preparation? How did you feel at the end? And you still have over a month to go. What does your plan say about tapering?
Thanks. Absolutely farther than I ran last year in preparation. I had no real plan then and was fighting hip bursitis incurred from panicky last minute overtraining. Was a disaster. But I also learned an awful lot from the failures.

Was tired after and legs a little gimpy but met up with some friends for lunch, played a couple games of 21 (basketball) with my friend and his son. Mobility was sh!t, jumping wasn't much of an option (it never really is), but shot was falling from all over so that was good - won handily. So legs were good enough for that.

Plan says tapering 3 weeks before the race and I have 7 weeks to go. Going to Hawaii in 3 weeks and really don't want to run that much, saving energy for surfing, hiking, snorkeling, etc. Would not running for a whole week with a month to go be horrible if I pick it back up again as soon as I get back?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Plan says tapering 3 weeks before the race and I have 7 weeks to go. Going to Hawaii in 3 weeks and really don't want to run that much, saving energy for surfing, hiking, snorkeling, etc. Would not running for a whole week with a month to go be horrible if I pick it back up again as soon as I get back?
I think if you get in a long run just before you go, and then do one right after you come back you should be OK. Then you go right into tapering, right? I think I would still try to get in a couple 3 milers in Hawaii.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I think if you get in a long run just before you go, and then do one right after you come back you should be OK. Then you go right into tapering, right? I think I would still try to get in a couple 3 milers in Hawaii.
Thanks - that sounds like a good plan. I would be tapering after getting back from Hawaii as race is three weeks from that post-trip long run.

Staying in Waikiki but as far as I can tell, the hotel/resort does not have an exercise room but I figure I can just get up early and run up and down Kalakaua a couple times or something like that. :shrug:

Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
My knee has been sore for a while so I stopped doing the sprints /intervals on my 10k runs. After listening to this video Averagejoe posted on the strength training thread, I'm going to try and add them back in- 1:37 to 2:08 deals with endurance training.

"You neeed to something once a week that gets you to a maximum heart rate." "Really sucking for air." "30 seconds at a minimum."

"What are the specific benefits that provides?" "The heart itself- stroke volume (the amount of blood per contraction) increases...cardiac output...resting heart rate...endothelial health (veins) in general...capillary...mitochondria... pulmonary exchange to the lungs...all of those are going to benefit."

Last edited:
Reactions: Kento and Aruka

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Underestimated the distance on the 21 mile run I had planned; route ended up being a little over 22. Got up early and was running by 6:05 to beat the rising heat. Beautiful morning, had a hot air balloon floating directly above me for a while, maybe 200 feet up, close enough to goose it with the flamethrower. Couple p*ss breaks but the 13.1 in about 1:54 and 20 at around 3:02, was getting hot and mile 18 directly into the sun, when I had largely run out of water and was in conservation mode, was tough. Muscled a 10 minute mile out of mile 21 but then walking back the last mile home sucked. Legs were just exhausted at that point. Took a couple hours after getting home to regain mobility.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Underestimated the distance on the 21 mile run I had planned; route ended up being a little over 22. Got up early and was running by 6:05 to beat the rising heat. Beautiful morning, had a hot air balloon floating directly above me for a while, maybe 200 feet up, close enough to goose it with the flamethrower. Couple p*ss breaks but the 13.1 in about 1:54 and 20 at around 3:02, was getting hot and mile 18 directly into the sun, when I had largely run out of water and was in conservation mode, was tough. Muscled a 10 minute mile out of mile 21 but then walking back the last mile home sucked. Legs were just exhausted at that point. Took a couple hours after getting home to regain mobility.
Sounds rough…but you got a long one in the bank.(y)

Did you have electrolytes and energy gels/gummies?

If race day is forecast to be hot, maybe have someone at mile 20 with a bottle of ice water/Gatorade. I ran this past week in what for coastal LA is heat (80’s) and I was definitely more drained than when it was cooler.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
My only form of exercise, besides surfing, is running this ridge trail that overlooks the ocean. It's steep, so steep at points that you need to be careful. No idea how long in distance, but it takes me about 45 minutes to finish my route. I try to run as fast as possible up the steepest parts, then slow down on the flats and walk/jog until my heart rate goes back down, then sprint up again, repeat. Have to run down the downhill parts of course, gotta sonic the hedgehog it and hit some control slides.

Theory I've always worked with is sprinters look jacked and marathon runners look like cancer patients. Get the heart/lungs to the red line, then back to "waiting for a bus", and cycle that. Like hockey practice, skating lines until your butt is tights-in-public good. That and your feet and sense of balance get fast, which seems to help with surfing.

Maintaining a steady pace for miles and miles, for hours at a time, makes my bones hurt just thinking about it. I've heard it makes your nipples bleed, so that's gonna be a no for me.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Sounds rough…but you got a long one in the bank.(y)

Did you have electrolytes and energy gels/gummies?

If race day is forecast to be hot, maybe have someone at mile 20 with a bottle of ice water/Gatorade. I ran this past week in what for coastal LA is heat (80’s) and I was definitely more drained than when it was cooler.
Two 20-plus runs in two weeks. Probably will make tomorrow a rest day too - back of the knees still pretty tight this morning.

I carry a few 16-ounce plastic water bottles with Gatorade (one in each pocket) and some Gu gels. I'd saved that last gel for the last 4 miles but it must have dropped out of my pocket when switching waters. During the race, I plan on having same water bottle setup but as backup to the water stations on the course.

Tapering question... race is in 6 weeks. Is it horrible if I miss doing one of the long weekend runs while I am in Hawaii, pick workout routine back up, get one more long run in 3 weeks prior to marathon, and then taper from there? Would I lose much by skipping a week of running? Although doing early morning run/surf check around Diamond Head doesn't seem like the worst of ideas. Good way to acclimate to heat a little bit.

Maintaining a steady pace for miles and miles, for hours at a time, makes my bones hurt just thinking about it. I've heard it makes your nipples bleed, so that's gonna be a no for me.
My bones also hurt. :roflmao:

Running shirts from Costco work much better than T-shirts when it comes to nipple chafe. The other side of distance running is what to do when you need to take a leak. I'm worth at least 3 or 4 during my runs. Likewise with surfing but that's a little easier. Not so bad in the rural vineyard areas as there are many large trees along the shoulder but through main streets, you can't just **** on the sidewalk.

Is it normal to have to pee multiple times during physical activity, even if not super-hydrated? I do this when I surf too. Then again, maybe that's why there are so many porta-potties along course?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Two 20-plus runs in two weeks. Probably will make tomorrow a rest day too - back of the knees still pretty tight this morning.

I carry a few 16-ounce plastic water bottles with Gatorade (one in each pocket) and some Gu gels. I'd saved that last gel for the last 4 miles but it must have dropped out of my pocket when switching waters. During the race, I plan on having same water bottle setup but as backup to the water stations on the course.
Three or four bottles? Are you wearing some kind of vest? Have you tried the Clifshot gummies?
Warning- the one year the LA had the heat wave after about mile 15 the water and electrolyte stations had really warm liquids. It was gross. They have the cups pre poured sitting on a table (solar heater). That's why I suggested someone meet you at mile twenty with ice water.

Tapering question... race is in 6 weeks. Is it horrible if I miss doing one of the long weekend runs while I am in Hawaii, pick workout routine back up, get one more long run in 3 weeks prior to marathon, and then taper from there? Would I lose much by skipping a week of running? Although doing early morning run/surf check around Diamond Head doesn't seem like the worst of ideas. Good way to acclimate to heat a little bit.
That sounds fine. Two weeks out I might try at least 13 miles. Then the week before a couple easy 10ks. You know how I feel about tapering=de-conditioning.

Running shirts from Costco work much better than T-shirts when it comes to nipple chafe. The other side of distance running is what to do when you need to take a leak. I'm worth at least 3 or 4 during my runs. Likewise with surfing but that's a little easier. Not so bad in the rural vineyard areas as there are many large trees along the shoulder but through main streets, you can't just **** on the sidewalk.

Body Glide is your friend. I need it wear the running short liners rub my inner thighs and on my feet for the sandals, between toes on ball of foot and where the straps touch the side of my foot. It was bad in the beginning but now my feet are kind of toughened up.

Is it normal to have to pee multiple times during physical activity, even if not super-hydrated? I do this when I surf too. Then again, maybe that's why there are so many porta-potties along course?
I usually have to pee once at the beginning. I avoid the first porta potties because there are always lines. I usually go around mile 8. For my PR marathon I was still in line for the porta potties when they started announcing the elite start. I was still walking to the corral when the start gun sounded. I started at the very back of the pack ( it takes like 10 minutes to reach the start line from back there, with 25,000 people in front of you), but I think passing people the whole time psychologically puts a pep in your step.

Once I was following a shapely female ( a friend told me a good strategy when you start to get tired at the end is to find a really shapely, fit, twenty something female who's passing you and get on her heels and try to hang on :dancing:). Anyways I'm behind this shapley female and she lets one rip- a really loud fart. WTF? Since then I've learned that it's better to let any body function release, whether it's peeing or farting or...well, I've never had to go #2, but if I did...running while trying to hold something back sucks.

Reactions: Iceman and Kento

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
So I've kind of committed to running the Golden Gate Half Marathon in November (not to be confused with the San Francisco Half Marathon). I notices slow times and saw there are some hills and parts where the course narrows and gets crowded. My training runs are all on the beach and are flat besides the first and last 3/4 mile (down and back up to the beach from our house).

I decided to map a a run that is a hill. So on Wednesday I'm basically going to start from Torrance Beach and run to the top of Palos Verdes and back down. Hope it's not too hot. We'll see how it goes.

Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 7.48.34 PM.png

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Three or four bottles? Are you wearing some kind of vest? Have you tried the Clifshot gummies?
Warning- the one year the LA had the heat wave after about mile 15 the water and electrolyte stations had really warm liquids. It was gross. They have the cups pre poured sitting on a table (solar heater). That's why I suggested someone meet you at mile twenty with ice water.
I have a pair of shorts with zippered pockets that have the perfect heft so doesn't feel like running with a pair of oranges in your pockets. Can zip a bottle into each pocket, put the GUs also in one along with a ziploc bag for the empties - learned that the hard way; sticky mess inside the pocket from residual. Carry the third bottle in a bottle grip and swap out as I go.

The ice water is a great suggestion. Even if to just pour on my head.

That sounds fine. Two weeks out I might try at least 13 miles. Then the week before a couple easy 10ks. You know how I feel about tapering=de-conditioning.
Cool. I can't imagine I would lose that much conditioning if I had a light week in between. But yeah, I think you need to stay in tune but relatively light. Going to be jog/walking the 5K with my daughter the day before. Been hard to train the last few days because of the heat. Really looking forward to it.

I usually have to pee once at the beginning. I avoid the first porta potties because there are always lines. I usually go around mile 8. For my PR marathon I was still in line for the porta potties when they started announcing the elite start. I was still walking to the corral when the start gun sounded. I started at the very back of the pack ( it takes like 10 minutes to reach the start line from back there, with 25,000 people in front of you), but I think passing people the whole time psychologically puts a pep in your step.

Once I was following a shapely female ( a friend told me a good strategy when you start to get tired at the end is to find a really shapely, fit, twenty something female who's passing you and get on her heels and try to hang on :dancing:). Anyways I'm behind this shapley female and she lets one rip- a really loud fart. WTF? Since then I've learned that it's better to let any body function release, whether it's peeing or farting or...well, I've never had to go #2, but if I did...running while trying to hold something back sucks.
Probably only a couple thousand in this race. But last year, I had last second need to pee which I used - tried to hold it rest of the way because of time. Ridiculous in hindsight. Fact of life that I will need to take multiple pisses. And so what if I lose 30 seconds - run much better without all that extra **** sloshing around. Now - having to take a crap. That's mandatory to get out of the way long before you get there - take two. Take three just in case. Different bathrooms for each of course.

And yes, that's the downside of drafting.