***The Official Running Thread***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I thought I'd start this up so people can share their experiences, tips, stories, etc, etc.

Running for me was always just a way to keep up cardio conditioning when the surf was down, but eventually it became a thing of it's own.

Right now I've run 13, 16, 16, 13 and 13 miles on consecutive weeks. I was thinking about entering the Golden Gate Half Marathon but decided I would only do it if I could get my time in the top three from last year's finishers (age group 60-64). I did that pretty easily (but way off first place), but now I'm not going to be able to make to the city by the bay. Maybe next year.

Last edited:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Running for me was always just a way to keep up cardio conditioning when the surf was down, but eventually it became a thing of it's own.
Same here. Now I start jonesing if I don't run for a few days.

I started running many years ago, forced myself to do it cuz I hated it most of my life. I have done many 5 and 10Ks and used to do the Wharf to Wharf in Santa Cruz every year. I like to go 30 minutes to an hour, I don't need nor like any more than that; it's a sufficient amount of cardio. My knees are gonna be fucked anyway so why bring it on any sooner by running too much.

I've tried running in New Balance, Mizuno, Nike, Adidas, Asics, On, and I like Brooks Ghost line of running shoes best. Have a pair of Ghost 13 that is well broken in and still good for a while, and starting to break in Ghost 14.

That's all I got.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The San Luis Obispo City to Sea half marathon takes a pretty awesome route from SLO to Pismo :beer: I think you just missed it for this year

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Never been a runner at all really, do a lot of hiking and such, but not really running so much. Did a 6K trail run race a few years ago on a 90+ degree day, a disaster that took the p|ss out of me. No running after that - done.

But then moved up north and somehow just got into it again, just a lot of beautiful places to run that are very close to home, if not a jog out my door. Did a pair of 10Ks last year and while grueling at the time, were really damn fun and had significant improvement from one to the next. Back then, my legs would be super sore a couple days after running so by time fall rolled around last year, kinda wanted to focus on surfing.

Anyways, long hiatus running until late last spring when my daughter was doing Girls on the Run and I ran with her in the 5K at end of the year. Legs felt fresh and good whole way throughout despite her extraordinarily varied paces.

Tossing a few back with the wife later on, mouth started yapping and started those running pre-claims, including running Windsor 5K in 3-4 weeks. Hungover or not, yeah, I was running that following morning. I had to. :roflmao: Fitbit I was using at the time was not close to calculating pace correctly, went out way faster than I meant to and hit wall hard at around 2.5 miles (those edibles kicked in and gave me cottonmouth at a bad time). Ended up walk/running last 0.5 mile or so, still finished 9th overall and 1st in my age group and it was free all you can drink beerfest afterwards, money. Wanted to break 25 for my first 5K, ended up breaking 22. Psyched. Been running since then.

So I got cocky and entered a marathon. 6 weeks training with 2 weeks of injury in between and a janky hip? No pr... oh yeah, problem. First 10 miles went great at solid sub-8 minute mile pace, keeping a bit ahead of the 3:30 pacer. Pain and doubt started creeping in at 10, was still sub 1:50 at the half but knew I was fucked and mile 18 is where it disintegrated and I had to steadily watch a lot of the pacers pass me back up, including the 4:00 one and that was disheartening as my goal was around 3:45. What was a bummer was that my cardio felt great; it was my hips and top of quads that were just absolutely fucked, had plenty of lungpower for sideline banter, just in excruciating pain.

Alas. So I promptly signed up for a Half Marathon up in Healdsburg for next Saturday. I gotta think of a Halloween costume that is not too hindering but other than that, looking forward to it. Running yesterday for first time in two weeks (toe injury) felt good.

But yes, running is addictive and I feel GOOD afterwards, no longer sore for very long afterwards, if at all. It's also even more fun because I am getting better at a really fast rate. Need to keep building up those quads though; the wider I can open my stride and for longer... :devilish:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I started running many years ago, forced myself to do it cuz I hated it most of my life. I have done many 5 and 10Ks and used to do the Wharf to Wharf in Santa Cruz every year. I like to go 30 minutes to an hour, I don't need nor like any more than that; it's a sufficient amount of cardio. My knees are gonna be fucked anyway so why bring it on any sooner by running too much.
I researched and running does NOT increase likelihood of arthritis. It actually helps. So run on-

"The study found no correlation between pain and arthritis with running duration, intensity, weekly mileage or the number of marathons completed. In fact, an increased number of marathons was associated with lower rates of reported hip and knee pain."

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I'm not much of a runner, I do the trails by my house (2 to 2.5 mile loops with rocky terrain and lots of elevation gain) and I mountain bike a lot. I should probably do more. I remember reading somewhere that besides our big awesome brains, running long distances and the ability to smell rain are our key evolutionary adaptation for fitness as a species. Our knees and ankles and hips are specifically evolved to run.

CraigJ doesn't post here much any more but that braddah is a fucking animal, done the Boston, Honolulu, and NY marathons multiple times, and several Ironmans on the Big Island, in addition to being one of the better bodysurfers on the island. Straight hammer.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Alas. So I promptly signed up for a Half Marathon up in Healdsburg for next Saturday. I gotta think of a Halloween costume that is not too hindering but other than that, looking forward to it. Running yesterday for first time in two weeks (toe injury) felt good.

I was Forrest Gump for Bay to Breakers. No hinderance at all.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I have the Brooks Ghost 14. Wear a size 13 and have a relatively narrow fit. The tread is starting to get worn down and I will probably replace soon; had them about a year and a half but they've had a lot of wear. Swapping out the inserts gave a bit of cushion. Overall, decent shoes so far as I can tell; light.

Reactions: enframed

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I used to run. Was a member of a club. Did a couple Marathons and a lot of 10K's and Club relays. moved to a higher altitude for training as most of the runs were at sea level. I used to look at my shoes longingly. Watch my shadow and form. Top of the Canefields in Lahaina. Had some hip injuries from bicycle falls. Then I met this chick. She was somewhat toxic. She smoked. I started smoking to be like her. I noticed my running getting slower and labored. I stopped running. I got fat.

nolibos

OTF status
Oct 24, 2019
Central California
I read "Born to Run" back in 2012 and got inspired to run, also wanted to stay in shape for my weekend warrior sessions. Things spiraled out of control, and after 23 ultra marathons of varying distances (50k, 50 miles, 100k, 100 miles) the pandemic hit and the races i was entered in were canceled. Now I am back to surfing full time and I can't imagine running that much ever again.
Running, been there done that.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I'm going to start. Maybe trails though I'm too self conscious to run in public, but I did run some as I was growing up. I recently became somewhat inspired by keens' beach running post. My kayaking slows down in the winter and I don't want to go back to pudgy-boy this winter. To take my fitness and run with it. Only slightly intending the pun there hauses and hausettes. Don't make me step.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
My old man test is a sub 8 minute mile. i'm over running 5k/10k etc to save my knees. 1 fast mile and then bust out 100 pushups and endless crunches, spreaders etc from different angles.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I researched and running does NOT increase likelihood of arthritis. It actually helps. So run on-

"The study found no correlation between pain and arthritis with running duration, intensity, weekly mileage or the number of marathons completed. In fact, an increased number of marathons was associated with lower rates of reported hip and knee pain."

Because ultimately knee issues and to some extent hip issues are a byproduct of being overweight and inactive.

What I do notice is there are very few older trail runners.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've tried running in New Balance, Mizuno, Nike, Adidas, Asics, On, and I like Brooks Ghost line of running shoes best. Have a pair of Ghost 13 that is well broken in and still good for a while, and starting to break in Ghost 14.
I used to get really sore knees running long distance. For a couple days after a marathon I would go down stairs like a 95 year old. Then, like nolibos, I read Born to Run and decided to try sandals. It takes a while to adapt. Your running gait changes. My calves would get really sore. I would get chafing and blisters. But once I adapted I never had sore knees again (knock on wood).

I bought a sheet of Vibram rubber for $40 on eBay about ten years ago and I have enough for one more pair. I but 1/2" nylon webbing at REI for a couple bucks. I fold the webbing, burn it to weld the fold and then cover the fold with duct tape. They last for a couple years. I figure they cost $10.

I haven't gone full bare foot. The first and last mile of my run is on streets and the remainder is on the Strand bike path in the South Bay.

IMG_6988.JPGIMG_6989.JPG