***The Official Running Thread***

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Do you guys wear heart rate monitors or a smart watch to monitor your heart rate? I have been getting into zone 2 training in the past few months after listening to a couple Peter Attia podcasts on the subject. I havent been running much because of my knee, instead doing indoor airbike or fast hiking sometimes with weight vest.

Like everything the progress is slow but I think im starting to feel it. I basically try to stay at the level of effort where I feel like im working but I can still nasal breath and Im not feeling my muscles pump. You want to avoid lactic acid release because thats part of what causes soreness the next day I think. Ive just been doing 30 min or so per day and then a one HIIT session per week(max effort 4 min on, 4 min rest, 4 times) to increase vo2 max.

This is all new to me. I usually just surf a lot and do pushups or whatever and exist in a perpetual state of soreness.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Do you guys wear heart rate monitors or a smart watch to monitor your heart rate? I have been getting into zone 2 training in the past few months after listening to a couple Peter Attia podcasts on the subject. I havent been running much because of my knee, instead doing indoor airbike or fast hiking sometimes with weight vest.

Like everything the progress is slow but I think im starting to feel it. I basically try to stay at the level of effort where I feel like im working but I can still nasal breath and Im not feeling my muscles pump. You want to avoid lactic acid release because thats part of what causes soreness the next day I think. Ive just been doing 30 min or so per day and then a one HIIT session per week(max effort 4 min on, 4 min rest, 4 times) to increase vo2 max.

This is all new to me. I usually just surf a lot and do pushups or whatever and exist in a perpetual state of soreness.

I do, but I never really pay attention to it.

Reactions: Aruka

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

I wore a heart rate monitor for a while after I was diagnosed with a myocardial bridge. I had been experiencing chest tightness while exercising. I was told by a cardiologist to keep my heart rate under 80% of max and also to walk or stop if I felt chest tightness. I eventually stopped because I found two things- one, the chest tightness had no correlation to my heart rate. Two, running at 80% was painfully slow for me.

What I found is that I could run for an hour at 100% of my max heart rate which should not be possible. I was using that 220-your age formula. Then I found a "field test" to measure max heart rate and found my max was almost 30 beats faster than using that formula. So 100% using that standard formula was 80%.

So I would take the 220-age with a grain of salt. Depends on your fitness level.

ps I think soreness is DOMS- delayed onset muscle soreness, caused by micro tears in the muscle. I get it every time I lift weights but have none today after my 13 mile run yesterday.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Here's the calculator I use. I assume a +/- 10bpm amrgin of error. Actually I ended up doing the test they describe 4 minutes fast tempo, 3 minutes active rest (walking), 4 tempo, 3 rest, then 2 tempo followed by 2 as fast as possible. Measure heart rate.

I might do it again because that was 3-4 years ago.

oops forget the link-

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
run at the beach in the early am=pray the runs don't hit you...which i get often. have to go to the gym that way there's a damn can nearby
A few years ago I started a routine of drinking 32 ounces of water with some lemon squeezed in first thing in the AM. That flushes the shite right out. It takes about 10-15 minutes. Then I'm good to go.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

Crazy, hadn't heard about Peter Attia and now hearing it twice in a couple days. I need to pick up that book of his.

I wear a Fitbit watch. It's semi-reliable but gives a good gauge. I know my easy pace pretty well so when it wavers, I don't stress too hard. But what is frustrating is trying to set a faster pace and not really sure how fast I'm going as it will read a lot slower (i.e., 8:08 when actually going around 7:15) and then I am pushing too hard, blowing myself out. I think it as more of a relative guide than as a be-all end-all.

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
I always start my morning 2.4 mile jog, around my neighborhood, slow and easy, and gradually pick it up. My last mile is usually faster than my first. Every morning I start 5 or 6 am, watching news with coffee, until my dog jumps on my chest and begs me for a walk, licking my face and clawing my chest. If that doesn't work, she sits in front of me staring at me, then she gets angry and barks at me. I always give in. We walk about 20 minutes, then I leave her home and start my jog. I always time myself and like to estimate what my final time will be, then see how far off my estimates were.

Last edited:

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019

Limiting yourself to nasal breathing does a really good job of keeping you in zone 2.

therea a much more thorough breakdown in The Uphill Athlete on this method.

I picked up an HRM after an injury as well but found the nose breathing made my runs so much more enjoyable.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Crazy, hadn't heard about Peter Attia and now hearing it twice in a couple days. I need to pick up that book of his.

I wear a Fitbit watch. It's semi-reliable but gives a good gauge. I know my easy pace pretty well so when it wavers, I don't stress too hard. But what is frustrating is trying to set a faster pace and not really sure how fast I'm going as it will read a lot slower (i.e., 8:08 when actually going around 7:15) and then I am pushing too hard, blowing myself out. I think it as more of a relative guide than as a be-all end-all.

7:15 becomes 8:08? That's way off. I was using an free app called "Run Tracker." The other day I went to open it and it wouldn't. I tried to reload it and couldn't. I think my phone's memory is full. When I was doing marathons I had a Garmin watch. That was great- would record all runs, map them out, show elevations, splits, records, calories burnt and kept a log of it all. If you're planning on doing marathons for a few years it's a great investment. Eventually the wrist band broke. I kept using for a couple more years by putting it under a wrist sweat band but then one day came home and it was gone...

As far a HR zones, I think I'm always running in zone 4. o_O

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I have a Garmin Venu sq 2. It's my first smartwatch and the only watch I've ever really liked enough to wear every day. I'm not sure that I trust its zone designations completely which are calculated based on my resting and max HR, I think. Still, it feels like a pretty useful guide and mostly lines up with my perceived exertion.

Zone 2 training is mostly popular with runners and cyclists but is also supposedly good for overall health and longevity. It increases mitochondrial density, whatever that means (hah). I had the idea that maybe if I trained in zone 2 regularly it could even be helpful for surfing. Obviously it seems like my HR would go well above zone 2 while paddling for waves and duckdiving but I wondered if I could be in zone 2 while paddling back out and moving around the lineup much of the time. I have practiced nasal breathing while paddling for a few years now, before I had heard of zone 2 training, and it really seemed to help pace me and keep me from getting gassed as quickly. At first it was really tough to breath through my nose whenever I was paddling back out after a wave but over time it got much easier and eventually started to feel almost automatic.

I wondered if being in zone 2 for more of each surf session would help limit soreness and fatigue, allowing me to surf longer and better recover. I haven't really been able to test this out but the few surf sessions that I tracked before I injured myself showed that my heart rate was in the 130-140 zone much of the time which is zone 3 according to my watch. It spiked to 170-180 a few times which is nearing my max HR. I don't know if it's realistic to be in zone 2 much while surfing punchy beachbreaks on a shortboard but maybe while longboarding point waves.

Just thinking out loud here, sorry.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I have a Garmin Venu sq 2. It's my first smartwatch and the only watch I've ever really liked enough to wear every day. I'm not sure that I trust its zone designations completely which are calculated based on my resting and max HR, I think. Still, it feels like a pretty useful guide and mostly lines up with my perceived exertion.

Zone 2 training is mostly popular with runners and cyclists but is also supposedly good for overall health and longevity. It increases mitochondrial density, whatever that means (hah). I had the idea that maybe if I trained in zone 2 regularly it could even be helpful for surfing. Obviously it seems like my HR would go well above zone 2 while paddling for waves and duckdiving but I wondered if I could be in zone 2 while paddling back out and moving around the lineup much of the time. I have practiced nasal breathing while paddling for a few years now, before I had heard of zone 2 training, and it really seemed to help pace me and keep me from getting gassed as quickly. At first it was really tough to breath through my nose whenever I was paddling back out after a wave but over time it got much easier and eventually started to feel almost automatic.

I wondered if being in zone 2 for more of each surf session would help limit soreness and fatigue, allowing me to surf longer and better recover. I haven't really been able to test this out but the few surf sessions that I tracked before I injured myself showed that my heart rate was in the 130-140 zone much of the time which is zone 3 according to my watch. It spiked to 170-180 a few times which is nearing my max HR. I don't know if it's realistic to be in zone 2 much while surfing punchy beachbreaks on a shortboard but maybe while longboarding point waves.

Just thinking out loud here, sorry.
I did a bunch of zone 2 paddling in Maine and Nova Scotia after an injury. It was glorious. Scenery was 10/10 and the flat water made it really easy to build a good cadence. By the time the waves arrived I was feeling on it despite not surfing for a long time.

IMO you’ll get a lot more bang for your buck if you can dedicate the session to paddling — if your goal is to build fitness. Otherwise you’re mixing endurance and high intensity which is challenging for progress on either front. but that being said, surfing and paddling is way more fun.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I did a bunch of zone 2 paddling in Maine and Nova Scotia after an injury. It was glorious. Scenery was 10/10 and the flat water made it really easy to build a good cadence. By the time the waves arrived I was feeling on it despite not surfing for a long time.

IMO you’ll get a lot more bang for your buck if you can dedicate the session to paddling — if your goal is to build fitness. Otherwise you’re mixing endurance and high intensity which is challenging for progress on either front. but that being said, surfing and paddling is way more fun.
There is actually a bark paddleboard for sale about an hour up the coast and ive been tempted but its just so damn windy here all summer its hard to imagine myself using it all that often. I know it would help my comeback though.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
There is actually a bark paddleboard for sale about an hour up the coast and ive been tempted but its just so damn windy here all summer its hard to imagine myself using it all that often. I know it would help my comeback though.
The wind def sours the whole experience. Way more of a slog than an aquatic hike. Freshwater is great if you have any near you.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The wind def sours the whole experience. Way more of a slog than an aquatic hike. Freshwater is great if you have any near you.
We have a couple lakes but the wind is still a factor. At least i wouldnt have to worry about getting chowed by sharky though...

Reactions: slipped_disc

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
7:15 becomes 8:08? That's way off. I was using an free app called "Run Tracker." The other day I went to open it and it wouldn't. I tried to reload it and couldn't. I think my phone's memory is full. When I was doing marathons I had a Garmin watch. That was great- would record all runs, map them out, show elevations, splits, records, calories burnt and kept a log of it all. If you're planning on doing marathons for a few years it's a great investment. Eventually the wrist band broke. I kept using for a couple more years by putting it under a wrist sweat band but then one day came home and it was gone...

As far a HR zones, I think I'm always running in zone 4. o_O
The GPS on it is goofy and it's even more finicky with elevation change. Luckily the routes I run up around here, I have done enough and that I know how far it is to certain "checkpoints" that can calculate pace better. Aside from my (shitty) laptop, it's pretty much my only tech object. Needles me that I have to use my wife's iphone to sync it - ridiculous if you think about it - a $100 item needs a $1,000+ accessory to operate properly. Oh well - that's Fitbit for you (their customer service and implementation abilities are pretty substandard).

Nasal breathing? I don't know if it's all the pollen or not impacting my sinuses but it's July 4th finale-level snot rockets after running for a mile or two. Try to regulate my breathing as much as I can. My cardio generally feels OK - it's the legs that are the trouble.

Right now the specific trouble is a left shin splint (few inches below the front of my kneecap) that is not going away and leaves me with a bit of a painful limp for a day or two after running. Once I start jogging, it kind of evens itself out Keyser Soze style and I'm good. Painful but nothing structural. Been resting/icing/Advilling as much as I can but in the catch-22 of that marathon being 2 months away, knowing I need to train but I also need that to heal. IT Band issues are gone so that's a major positive.

Last week was a bit of a slacker week and resting today - looking to pick things back up tomorrow AM.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
@Kento try these for shin splints.

i think backwards walking up a hill or pulling a weight sled is better but this is a good place to start and you can do it anywhere.

Reactions: Kento