***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

May 18, 2016
No mention of casual small wave test pilot Yuri.
Interesting design stuff in it so well worth a watch. The viewpoint of coming from a displacement hull sensations background vs hp shortboard background and the places along the spectrum are noteworthy.
@RyanLovelace4 Would like to see the Aliotti clips you mention when talking about the twin fin board test if they are in the same locations.
if i end up dead after posting this you know what happened

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
HIs right hand jive is a big pill to swallow, not to mention the soul archying, but if you utilize the mute feature the board looks pretty fun and the waves are dreamy.

Reactions: Sauce

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
i had to stop at this point.
View attachment 171858

totally uncalled for and made me very uncomfortable.
also, this chap is up there with knost on the poseur scale.
I have to admit that 98% of the time when I watch a video I skip right over the lifestyle BS and go right to the surfing, so I was not paying any attention to his land based antics. One of the only times I watched all the lifestyle stuff was Torren's "Calypte" sailing adventure.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
At least Quiksilver hasn't given in to the woke mob. The marketing department has their target audience dialed in.
1706967578514.png

his chap is up there with knost on the poseur scale.
Don't drag God into this.
1706967832352.png

And he known as The Knost. Taylor Knost, the shred lord.

Last edited:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Was listening to an interview with Devon Howard and he was saying when it's small he rides his 2 + 1 CI Mid as a single with an 8.5 fin. Wondering if anyone has done this and can recommend a fin. He prefers the tri plane hull or a log for small waves but uses the mid in a pinch.

Reactions: ericthe and Lowqi2
Jun 4, 2019
Was listening to an interview with Devon Howard and he was saying when it's small he rides his 2 + 1 CI Mid as a single with an 8.5 fin. Wondering if anyone has done this and can recommend a fin. He prefers the tri plane hull or a log for small waves but uses the mid in a pinch.
Haven't done it with a CI Mid specifically, but I'd think a Skip or Lovelace vBowls would be good places to start.

Jan 10, 2014
So what’s the consensus on a mid length for tiny crap? Never ridden a mid but starting to get tempted. Something like a plasmid for thigh-waist+ would work well?
Or I may try and hold out and look into a mini sim or variant like a manta

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Depends how you define tiny crap. For me it's got to be about waist high for it to be fun on a mid. But if it's less than that, I generally don't surf anymore. Basically you need a bit of a wave. They don't have the mass of a longboard or the slipperiness of a mini sim. I have the most fun when it's bigger than I expected.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
So what’s the consensus on a mid length for tiny crap? Never ridden a mid but starting to get tempted. Something like a plasmid for thigh-waist+ would work well?
Or I may try and hold out and look into a mini sim or variant like a manta
FWIW, I pretty much only reach for a mid to ride when it's gravel waves.
You want a flat rocker in tiny crap, almost like a mini glider. Darkness is best album for this IMO. mine is 7' and can still be whipped from on the tail easily. I ride it knee to waist high and I've had it out up to CH and soft/sloppy too. It's turned marginal days when I figured I'd just get wet into pleasantly surprised fun sessions.
For just regular crap, Plasmid might be fine. I have 6'4 eggy one (blunt nose, roundpin) that is a lot of fun in a lot of different conditions. Just have to really get your back foot on the tail over the slot channel for the boar to turn. Can be magic.
Both have pretty flat entry rocker so requires some technique adjustment if the waves get punchier or steeper sections.
If you decide on a minisim, you can go narrower than you think. Shorter the better.
I believe the CI TPH is supposed to better in small waves than the CI Mid, but haven't ridden either.

Last edited:
Reactions: tcureton and Bman76