***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I think it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to define that board as a mid length.

Same goes with the ThickLizzy, hulls, etc.

I always thought the idea of a midlength was a board a shortboarder can hop on and easily surf doing variations of standard shortboard turns.

vBowls etc require an entirely different approach to surfing, a bit like learning to surf again.
I put it in the midlength category by categorising it as not short and not long. That's how I got here...

I like the idea of the v.Bowls requiring a totally different approach to surfing. It's kind of why I chose it as it's an engagement gift from my fiancé, so she said I'm not allowed to sell it! I wanted something unique with a longer learning curve so it will always be there when I want something a bit different.

What's your experience of a v.Bowls? Have any fun times with one?

Reactions: urchined

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Twin pin with channels. Also not a hull. Or my lawn. It's 6'9" so in light of recent data I'm posting it as a mid length. Note: CI leash string.
Loose plan is to use this as my bigger wave (for old guy) board with the 6'4" Pyzel wildcat as my DD for Philippines reef action.
View attachment 166299View attachment 166300
Retropete- how do you like the wildcat in the 6'4 size?
I had a 6'2 that I quite liked but sold it before it got too banged up, thinking i wanted to downsize it a bit to a 6'0 or even 5'10. I then had a couple of new boards made by a friend and got off on another tangent.
You got me thinking maybe go in the other direction size wise on the wildcat and envision it differently... "mini HP midlength"? (Did I just say that!?!?!) :)

• Haha
Reactions: freeride76

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Retropete- how do you like the wildcat in the 6'4 size?
I had a 6'2 that I quite liked but sold it before it got too banged up, thinking i wanted to downsize it a bit to a 6'0 or even 5'10. I then had a couple of new boards made by a friend and got off on another tangent.
You got me thinking maybe go in the other direction size wise on the wildcat and envision it differently... "mini HP midlength"? (Did I just say that!?!?!) :)
So far only ridden it the once so shouldn't say much but it did feel really good. Spring time here so have to look for a window of opportunity for a clean 2-3' day soon. The Wildcat and the twin pin are both slated as travel boards for me. Take this with a grain of salt since I'm looking at far more foam than you in the boards. I had the same thought about just getting a longer Wildcat to ride it in larger waves and quite possibly also smaller waves in a mid length role since its wider but the 6'6" (no 6'8"s in stock to compare) felt beefy and so figured might as well focus on the twin pin for larger waves since it's narrower and a bit sleeker under the arm than I would envisage the 6'8" Wildcat to be and likes a decent sized wave in the shorter lengths.

Reactions: money4coffeeman

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
So far only ridden it the once so shouldn't say much but it did feel really good. Spring time here so have to look for a window of opportunity for a clean 2-3' day soon. The Wildcat and the twin pin are both slated as travel boards for me. Take this with a grain of salt since I'm looking at far more foam than you in the boards. I had the same thought about just getting a longer Wildcat to ride it in larger waves and quite possibly also smaller waves in a mid length role since its wider but the 6'6" (no 6'8"s in stock to compare) felt beefy and so figured might as well focus on the twin pin for larger waves since it's narrower and a bit sleeker under the arm than I would envisage the 6'8" Wildcat to be and likes a decent sized wave in the shorter lengths.
Thanks. Just found your other posts on the wildcat (the search feature on the erBB works..) AFTER I asked the question, like an idiot..
Will definitely circle back to that board one day.
FWIW, I had the pyzel fins made for it and they felt great. Super drivey and loose.

Reactions: Retropete

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Channels should be a good addition to the twin pin. I found mine lacked drive without them. The flat to vee bottom really needs a good sized wave with a lot of curve to get going. In my mind I think twins almost require channels to really work well.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
The CI twin pin with the channel bottoms I posted above shod with S wing Mid keel 470 fins rides like a hot knife through butter as a mid length. Quality left and right 2-4' beachbreak waves for the first surf. A very connected feel and the way it rolls over from rail to rail is a trait I really liked. Can't imagine it going better with other fins.
I'll run it with set of Alkali twin fins next time the waves are good enough for it just to see how they feel.
IMG_1554.jpg