***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Surfed the mid this morning at the regular. Waves were meh. Boar feels fun. Want to get it in some head high nuggets to see if I can go vert on it and do a layback hack.

Sorry to burst any bubbles but it doesn’t paddle like a longboar and turn like a hpsb. It paddles and turns like a bigger shortboar. The projection with all that rail engaged feels promising and it tip over on rail nicely.

Ran the FCS2 Power Twins. Lots of drive and no drift. But I’ve been dialed in on twins with my recent boar choices. Might try a slightly smaller fin but we’ll see when I get to sample some better waves.

To be continued…..

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Does the Christenson Wolverine fall in to the mid length category. Looks fun but probably the smaller sizes will work better. 6’2!

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Have a board from Pyzel that’s similar (a bit shorter though). Tough to see how far back the fins are… Power twins worked but MRs made it a bit more lively. Still held great. Usually have not liked MRs in other boards.

Reactions: teeroi

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Jan 30, 2023
Does the Christenson Wolverine fall in to the mid length category. Looks fun but probably the smaller sizes will work better. 6’2!
i have a 6'6". board is very fast and loose. will launch out of the water if you have too much weight over the back fins. coming from riding shortboard thrusters, its refreshing to do nothing and let the board do all the work. it gets into waves easy, maintains speed through turns, but has a tendency to blast you out onto the shoulder coming out of your bottom turn. Biggest thing is just figuring out how to control it tbh.

Id like to try a smaller one for fun at a head high reef with some wall, but overall id recommend sizing up. If i re-ordered id get a 6'8" or 6'10". For me, sizing the board down would relegate it to only perfect waist to head high reefs. rails are quite sharp so it doesnt work in smaller/softer waves great for me. But anything stomach high with some push up to a few feet overhead even if its soft it handled well. I think for what the board is (an easy paddler with a ton of speed for good waves), id prefer more size to really make use of its strengths. Also need to add, im a mediocre surfer.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Would love to hear more about this one. I remember RetroPete also mentioned them a while back so I looked for more. Found this video and they look really fun and pretty versatile. Have yet to see one in person.
Anyone ridden this and a Townsend? Surfed more in the last week then all of last month.
My body is pissed at me. Got me looking at Mid's again.

Turtle71

Nep status
Jan 19, 2010
NE FL
I think it's going to work fine. I've just been scraping the bottom of the barrel in little close out beach break at low tide. Have had some magic moments. When we get a touch more swell and it breaks on the higher tide, think it will be really fun.

I've got another egg and a nice channeled twin pin for when it actually gets good.
PMed

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Rode the Vesso mid 5 or 6 surfs in a row. Went vert on it, got a layback hack that I’m not ashamed of, got a decent barrel. Did a few figure 8 roundhouses to rebound bashes. Boar is super fun. The longer rail loves the roundhouse.

Surfed some decent waves yesterday and all I could think was on my 5’9 DJ twin I could’ve done two more turns. The fever has broken. Back on the shortboar today.

Next time I paddle the 6’6 mid out I’m gonna run smaller fins. Still want to surf it in overhead waves on the NS or Eastside.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Went to HIC since we’re working in Kailua. Checked out some fins and ended up getting a set of the Christensen twins.

Put it in the 6’6 mid and surfed it this morning. Fins are smaller than the Power Twins I’ve been using. Was interested in seeing if it would loosen up the boar. It was hard to tell cause the boar worked fine even though the waves were small. Not noticeablly looser. But I did go on a soft right and it lacked drive. Most likely the wave.

Reactions: SD_Dan

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Used the 7'2" Christenson Ultra Tracker Venereal last week at Malibu and had a blast. So far a Futures 7" performance fin set in the middle of the box has been the best set-up. Really fun boar.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Keep on being clueless
You're the one who paid usd 1k for a mini malibu with condom fins for that special feel. :roflmao:

1698087612599.png

The board is trash. They just add some random design elements to make it "special" for the customer buying it.

The only thing stupider than midlengths are the people buying them. They had a run here too. Took about two seasons for people to realize they suck.