***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
fwiw i had an outlier for a minute. i think it was a 7-0. never connected with the hull lite concept. was too flat rockered for the mellow convex bottom for me.

friend showed up the other day with a 7-6 and we had a couple sessions on a relatively flatter faced bank that would run a 100+ yds. he was stoking on it.

then he took over to short round little drainer zone and got schooled. just couldnt get it slotted. horses for courses of course.

my take away despite my prejudice against the outlier is its not an all around beach break board. more of niche board for long fast walls where you can enjoy it on an open face

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Flatter faced beach break waves my 7'er loves them. The more disjointed and sectiony they are the more fun I have compared to riding my other boards.
I have put a lot of time in on mine and surfed it in shin high to overhead waves on the beachies. When its zippering, hollow beachbreak waves waist-chest plus then I can happily reach for something else.
I've had my 8'er out in barely makeable semi closeouts and been able to get in early enough to speed down the line and have fun doing it. The 7'6" and 8'er both have a more pulled in tail than the stubbie planshaped 7'er.
If you look at CJ Nelson's videos of his sessions at KS's surf ranch you can see him get barrelled on the board.
The outliers are super user friendly in my opinion.
I guess sometimes it just comes down to skill and or lack of it as to what one can do on any board.
I'll happily continue to demonstrate the lower end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turtle71

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I think it's going to work fine. I've just been scraping the bottom of the barrel in little close out beach break at low tide. Have had some magic moments. When we get a touch more swell and it breaks on the higher tide, think it will be really fun.

I've got another egg and a nice channeled twin pin for when it actually gets good.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Did you have them pin line a shortboar outline on the deck to make it look fast and not a midgetlength?
No I’ve had Jeannie spray a cheater boar like that but this mid-length is gonna be fast. It’ll look like a green flash with white xmas tree spray flying over every section after I stand up.

• Love
Reactions: sdsrfr

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Did you have them pin line a shortboar outline on the deck to make it look fast and not a midgetlength?
thats actually a great idea. gonna offervthst service and sell it to the covid "competent" kooks been messing with my view. make wax money bank

Reactions: teeroi