***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I think what drives the hate toward midlengths is that there is so focus on design and all the bells and whistles of the boards, but little to no actual surfing to show for it. Half turns and jazz hands :roflmao: Same as the contempt and ridicule towards hipsterism. In the pursuit of being special and unique they all end up looking the same and being garbage. It's the fixie bike of surfing :roflmao:

I don't hate longboards because it requires dedication and skill to master. Midlengthing is just low effort.

This was high effort though, but you get my point

1698252588366.png

:monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Havoc and jkb

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
People just like to hate stuff that's different.

For whatever reason, 6'0 shortboards are considered standard and everything else is lessor.

It's a hyper competitive battle for limited resources so anything that gives you an advantage is suspect (unless you're the one on it).

I'm not buying the "effort" argument. Most longboarders don't do much on their longboards and I bet about 80% couldn't cross step if their life depended on it. It's just a way for fat old guys to get waves, which is fine.

A lot of shortboarders look absolutely horrible putting in all this "effort". Pump, pump, pump slash. Not sure why they somehow get points for it.

To me flowing with the wave and hiding the effort behind it is much preferable aesthetically. I like the way mid lengths facilitate this flow. I ended up getting one because the guy I surf with who had the best flow had one and I figured I'd give it a go. At the time I was riding shortboards 90% of the time and this guy who was a good 10 years younger than me and an accomplished shortboarder was just killing it on his 7'0.

But, I'm guilty of it too, I hate body boarders and SUPs.

Also for the record, riding a fixed gear bike takes way more effort and skill than riding a road bike. Have both and it's no contest. Put most roadies on a fixed gear for the first time and it will buck them off till they get used to not being able to coast or stop peddling.

Also I would say there is so much less focus on design on mid lengths. Most are very simple flat to vee bottoms. With the extra length and volume you don't need to worry so much about design. When I rode sub 6'0 boards everything had to be perfect for it to go right. I've had the same very basic 7'0 for like 7 years and haven't thought about design much at all. With shortboards there's always a flavor of the week and the width, length and thickness vary like hem lengths in fashion.

I think what drives the hate toward midlengths is that there is so focus on design and all the bells and whistles of the boards, but little to no actual surfing to show for it. Half turns and jazz hands :roflmao: Same as the contempt and ridicule towards hipsterism. In the pursuit of being special and unique they all end up looking the same and being garbage. It's the fixie bike of surfing :roflmao:

I don't hate longboards because it requires dedication and skill to master. Midlengthing is just low effort.

View attachment 165322

:monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015

I dont necessarily disagree with some of what you said here (and have been saying for years in this thread) but it's very one sided. It's like, if someone isn't surfing at a certain arbitrary level, then GTFO. :foreheadslap:

Many of us don't have or make the time to surf often enough to stay proficient on true performance boards, and I'll include Grovelors and Fish in the performance category.

That said, many of us don't like the feel of a longboard, let alone just taking the damn thing around to get a few waves is generally a PITA.

Hence these 'lower effort' boards that work in a variety of conditions. When the current is pulling and the waves are 3-4+, I'm going to have a much better time on my 7' 45L Mid, that can still pull some sh*t with its pointed nose, quad fins and squash tail. It generally helps me make the most of the time I have in the water, while keeping the ride loose enough, which I prefer in general.

Havent surfed in a couple weeks and the surf is anything but micro, the Mid is the call, but if I've been grinding 1-2 times a week for months (yes that's grinding surfing for me...lol) then I'll get on my 'short boards' and try to improve. Generally by mid summer I hit a point where enough of a base is built up that I will force myself to take out my smaller boards every session, but then it's often small or variable conditions where they might not work so well.

There's just so many factors to play with that's what's so interesting about Surfing for the average person, but you often come off sounding like you don't want average people Surfing. You could lighten up a bit, maybe. :p

Now, show us your Mids. :ROFLMAO:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
"I think what drives the hate toward midlengths is that there is so focus on design and all the bells and whistles of the boards, but little to no actual surfing to show for it. Half turns and jazz hands."

Die hard shortboarders are only an 1/8" (or 0.5L if they really want to **** off a shaper) away from ripping on their current chip so no less guilty of design obsession. Meanwhile the vast majority of shortboarders are riding boards that showcase their inherent lack of balance, fitness and necessary athleticism to make what they are doing a travesty of hunched over monkey pumping and bogged rails punctuated by flat board slides that in no way engage their rails before falling off the wave within a few seconds.

"I don't hate longboards because it requires dedication and skill to master. Midlengthing is just low effort."

Yet longboards still remain the go to equipment for the old or greedy (or both) that use their wave harvesting crutches as wave harvesting crutches. I love hearing longboarders in the line up whine about SUP's.
Keep up the lampooning...it's fun.
I'm 60 so mostly don't care less what anyone else thinks I should ride. In the last couple of weeks I've ridden a bodyboard, 6'2", 6'6", 7'2" and 7'4" in waves from 1'-8' plus and had fun on all of them.

Last edited:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
You’ve kept growing your hair out since the start of the pandemic? Must be fabulous when it blows in the wind on those HPML carves!
You still riding the mid a lot or has the novelty worn off a bit?
The romance is over. Kind of.

I rode it Sunday at my NS regular but the waves were small. I was super conscientious of the other surfers in the water. There was a regular that rips and some weekend warriors on longer boars. I paddled for and caught the 3 waves I looked at, while waiting way longer for my turn. Didn’t want to be a hog. The boar is fun. Engaging that much rail feels good even in smaller waves. I still want to surf it when it’s pumping at the NS regular just for fun. But been enjoying trying to figure out the upper end of my 5’9 DJ twin.

I also get a kick out of surfing the mid aggressively when my friends are being nay-sayers.

The reason I say the romance is ending is I’ve been working on Chuck Andrus’s house. He looked at my Vesso mid and wants to make me his version of something like it. I’d just have to pay for the glass job. Basically half price. I’m thinking have him make me a step up. His guns are prized. A two boar quiver of mid lengths isn’t that exciting to me…..yet. Haha

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
if someone isn't surfing at a certain arbitrary level, then GTFO. :foreheadslap:
I'm not hating on for example Yuri. He is trash, but genuine. The midlengthing cult is trying to elevate their half-turns and bogged rails into some higher art form. It just ends up in the same hipster garbage can as fixie bikes, boutique coffee and man-buns. And I am a midlengther too. CI Mid 6'10" is 42,3l. My Average Joe is 43,3:alien:

Dr. Cliph Capone, The Knost and Howard Stern :violin:

1698307479676.png

Enlightened :roflmao:

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
...The midlengthing cult is trying to elevate their half-turns and bogged rails into some higher art form. It just ends up in the same hipster garbage can as fixie bikes, boutique coffee and man-buns. And I am a midlengther too. CI Mid 6'10" is 42,3l. My Average Joe is 43,3:alien:
If there is a midlengthing cult, they're not having an affect on me.

Funny that you surf some, when you call them sh*tlengths, and generally seem to despise everything about them.