Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid

Reactions: stringcheese

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
I'd lay money on the reason they have introduced it is to fill the gap that was left by the Harley Ingleby Mid6 being taken out of their board lineup by the loss of the Thunderbolt boards. It has more foam than the Mid6's in comparable sizes and is touted to have a better low end range, be more user friendly, so the demographic is nailed.
So many mid6s coming up second hand says the demographic that wanted a mid length that performs found they couldn't actually ride a mid length that performed, enter user friendly bossup.

Reactions: Havoc

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
talking to them about doing a 6’3 middy with a squash tail and the nose from that full strength as a new DD

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
San Diego
So many mid6s coming up second hand says the demographic that wanted a mid length that performs found they couldn't actually ride a mid length that performed, enter user friendly bossup.
You mean longboarders? You can ride a midlength like a longboard (not lean into turns). I really liked the way the mid6 performs but it needs good waves, and on the rare days when the waves are good around here I’d rather be on a performance short board, so for me the mid6 didn’t make a lot of sense so I replaced it with a CI mid twin. That board will ride anything, and decided not performance oriented, it’s so flat it’s trickyer to surf than the mid6.

Reactions: Aruka
Aug 29, 2014
Have any of you Mid-Heads tried the Solid Diamond Jig?

Looking to up my wave count and there is a 7'4 I can grab for a good price.
Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 12.29.01 PM.png

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
What’s the dims everyone rides these at with your height and weight and what your using them for? Particularly mid length twins.
6’10-7’2 is my preferred range. If I were to get a custom Vaquero I’d go 7’0. Vaquero Edge I’d go 6’8-6’10

My only current “mid” is VBowls that is 7’6. Wanted a 7’2, Craigslist ad said 7’4. Close enough. Bought it. Got it home and looked at the dim - 7’6. Oh well.

It’s pretty bladed out so that’s probably the right size for me.

A mid twin, I’d lean toward the short end of the range, especially if it had channels.

I had a 7’0 CI mid (the original) and it was too small for that design, for me, when I was 215 pounds. Sold it after 2 waves.

Me…

6’1+
195 pounds as of this morning

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
6’10-7’2 is my preferred range. If I were to get a custom Vaquero I’d go 7’0. Vaquero Edge I’d go 6’8-6’10

My only current “mid” is VBowls that is 7’6. Wanted a 7’2, Craigslist ad said 7’4. Close enough. Bought it. Got it home and looked at the dim - 7’6. Oh well.

It’s pretty bladed out so that’s probably the right size for me.

A mid twin, I’d lean toward the short end of the range, especially if it had channels.

I had a 7’0 CI mid (the original) and it was too small for that design, for me, when I was 215 pounds. Sold it after 2 waves.

Me…

6’1+
195 pounds as of this morning
What about width and thickness? Or is that less important with these shapes?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
What about width and thickness? Or is that less important with these shapes?
I just go with whatever the shaper/design calls for based on length. For example a typical 7’2 Vaquero is going to 3 1/8 - 3 1/4 thick, IIRC.

A stock 7’2 CI Mid is 2 13/16 thick.

I’m not really a mid aficionado so I don’t really think too much about it. My only real concern is rail length.

I get a board and if I don’t like it I sell it and get a different length or different design.

Reactions: manbearpig

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I just go with whatever the shaper/design calls for based on length. For example a typical 7’2 Vaquero is going to 3 1/8 - 3 1/4 thick, IIRC.

A stock 7’2 CI Mid is 2 13/16 thick.

I’m not really a mid aficionado so I don’t really think too much about it. My only real concern is rail length.
Nice. Yeah I have a 7’7 Beamish twin i grabbed used and still questioning the width and thickness. Sort of foiled rails so should be fine.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
What’s the dims everyone rides these at with your height and weight and what your using them for? Particularly mid length twins.
Mid length is such a catch all term that covers so many different shapes it’s very hard to provide any rules. A lot depends on how much the “mid” you are looking at is an overgrown shortboard vs being a more “alt” design.

It also depends on how you want it to feel and the lines you want it to draw.

I’m 5’7 158lbs and I’ve got 5 boards that fall into the “midlength” category. They range from 6’10 to 7’10, two single fins, one bonzer, one twin and two 2+1. They all feel different but can all be ridden between stomach high and overhead just draw different lines or need better quality waves. I’m a long boarder that went shorter rather than an ageing shortboarder so I’ve always enjoyed drawing more lateral trim based lines

FWIW the twin one is similar to a squash tail version of the CI mid twin and is 6’10 x 21.6 x 2.75 ish I think, machado keels and is hella fun.

Edir: see here…..

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Width and thickness. 21” w and 3” thick but a pretty gunny outline. It’s also very flat.View attachment 181543
I wouldn’t buy it. Too big all around - for me - for a “mid”. You might like it though.

It seems proportionally balanced but I’d like that shape/design to NOT be “very flat”. Outline and channels says big steep waves, rocker says small mush.

Good luck with that.

Maybe it’s got the right mix of secret juice. Maybe it’s a piece of sh!t.:shrug:

Would be fun with just two little side bite in the fin boxes instead of keels.

Reactions: manbearpig

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I wouldn’t buy it. Too big all around - for me - for a “mid”. You might like it though.

It seems proportionally balanced but I’d like that shape/design to NOT be “very flat”. Outline and channels says big steep waves, rocker says small mush.

Good luck with that.

Maybe it’s got the right mix of secret juice. Maybe it’s a piece of sh!t.:shrug:

Would be fun with just two little side bite in the fin boxes instead of keels.
Yeah we’ll see what happens. So far only one session in reeling kind of heavy beach break. Might be a fun board when I surf with my dad, he likes mellower waves so it’s always hard to find a spot for the both of us.

Reactions: Duffy LaCoronilla

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
This is very likely my next midlength. Worth reading through the characteristics in the board description despite its need for some editing to tidy it up. Plenty of performance available in this one.

Last edited: