***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
after countless hours of splitting hairs, ordered a 6'6 big baron in poly. not sure if its too short or not but time will tell. volume is good.
I'll be happy to take it off your hands if you don't like it

Reactions: VaB

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Sheesh man, I received two insanely thoughtful and thorough response from Stamps and Coletta that I'm totally split. Stamps recommended a 6'10" x 21.25" x 2.63 Roswell and Coletta a 7'0 Rocket Egg, I don't feel I can go wrong either way.
Kalu or Steve, thought Stve retired to Mex?

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
I just bought a trimcraft thick lizzy 7'10". i dunno how i feel about it. I wish the rails were more pinched/knifey like my old lovelace v-bowls. Need to give it more test runs

mattew

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 7, 2007
Santa cruz
@Havoc you had a kazuma mini right? What are your thoughts on it? I've been looking into kazuma, I like his ordering process and what I'm seeing on his IG.

mattew

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 7, 2007
Santa cruz
great boar. paddles and catches waves easy and can turn like normal boar. his foil is cray. 2.75 feels like 2-3/8 hpsb
Awesome I'm going to go this route. I'm 5'11 @ 167lb and he suggested a 7'0. I was thinking 6'10 with the thickness adjusted to keep the volume since his foil is nutty, but I'll probably go with whatever he suggests.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc and chilly1

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Here's some boards Rob has been working on that I'll be adding to the website soon. He's been on these a lot lately. I keep telling him that he's gonna have to ditch the flat brim for a beanie or a fedora

mattew

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 7, 2007
Santa cruz
Gotta say that kazuma is the man. Incredibly fast to respond and do business. I paid my invoice this weekend for a custom mini with a pin stripe, 5 boxes (tri/twin convertible or modified quad) and apparently he thinks that he'll be able to get it on the plane to California this Thursday for Friday pickup. This guy is a beast! Getting a quality custom board at this speed is incredibly dangerous as a consumer :drowning:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I've been trying to figure out a good mid-length for a few years unsuccessfully. Something cruisy that paddles easy and will work in small weak surf to maybe head high or so. Finally figured out that I've been too focused on performance. Anyway, the bort that seems to fill the bill is a CI mid twin. I felt one up at CI yesterday and something that stood out was the pronounced V that goes all the way up to the mid section of the board. (see attached screen capture). If there's any concave it's subtle. That may make it easier to turn and stuff but wouldn't it also make the board slower?

IMG_0275.PNG

Reactions: j_mac

mattew

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 7, 2007
Santa cruz
I've been trying to figure out a good mid-length for a few years unsuccessfully. Something cruisy that paddles easy and will work in small weak surf to maybe head high or so. Finally figured out that I've been too focused on performance. Anyway, the bort that seems to fill the bill is a CI mid twin. I felt one up at CI yesterday and something that stood out was the pronounced V that goes all the way up to the mid section of the board. (see attached screen capture). If there's any concave it's subtle. That may make it easier to turn and stuff but wouldn't it also make the board slower?

View attachment 157803
What are the rails like

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia

View attachment 157803
My 7' Outlier eats those conditions for breakfast. May not be everyone's cup of tea but a mate of mine who also has one and we always say don't leave home without it. It has belly up front with the roll going into the rails that stops them catching. Straight outline that's drivey and a wide tail that helps keep the board planing and allows you to turn without the tail sinking in small stuff. Enough length and width to plane across dead sections. The pulled in tail on that CI mid would give me pause for grovelling duties on it. Sure you can stand forward on it to trim but when you step back on the tail...hmmm. Good luck on your quest.

Last edited: