***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Pete, What’s the thinking behind the carbon fiber deck over a stringered blank? Is it EPS or PU? Wouldn’t that combo be ultra stiff? I’ve only seen stringerless (EPS or varial) blanks with CF layups to get the benefits of light weight + ding resistance… yet not be too stiff/corky- but those were shorter boars.
On a bigger boar like this, maybe the CF is just trying to reduce the weight a bit?
I assume the customer who ordered it wanted the carbon for strength or because he thought it looked cool?
I can't feel any flex in it and it's a pu stringered blank. Much prefer an eps blank for its lighter, livelier feel but I would say old Bob doesn't work with eps. Had a Mitch Surman carbon over stringered pu board (he doesn't work with eps either) and was the same weight as a regular pu board and didn't feel any different from a regular pu board.
No corkiness when paddling, surfing it.
looking at the bottom of the board my guess is its a basalt cloth which really makes me think whoever ordered it just wanted to make it look cool. Would have been an expensive board to order...that is for sure.
Took it for a paddle this morning. Pretty happy with its feel. Has a forward chine and good amount of V out through the back foot to the tail with some tail rocker, so going to be a good points cruiser.
IMG_0801.JPGIMG_0802.JPG

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I just rented one of these on Kauai, and am about the same skills as the surfer in the video, therefore not going to comment any further. :geek:
At first I didn't see Yuri becauwse he was hidden behind the lettering. I just read "Harley Ingleby" and thought, "This guy has high self esteem.":applause2:

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Most of the staff at my local surfshop who all surf well and cover a wide spread of years are loving the big baron. Probably best surfer out of them all has had literally all the sizes and said he's slimmed it down to a 6'4" and a 7'6". He's probably only 65kgs and mid twenties. If I see him I will quizz him about the glide factor on the sizes.
Apparently JS make Australian ones then also Thai ones. They also do a lower priced Magic carpet brand with a Houdini model which uses the big baron files to compete with the Chinese boards. The coloured Magic carpets use E glass so more durable than the JS branded clear Thai PE boards.
are the thai the PE boards? They are selling the PU and PE here.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
For me it’s around 6’8 / 6’10 but then I think the “performance mids” like the chilli etc. Kinda miss the point of the whole thing as well and those brands have repackaged their big old guy funboards with a trendy label...
I had a 6’8 vaquero and it was too short.

Reactions: chilly1

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
I had a 6’8 vaquero and it was too short.
Length has to match the design. I’m not surprised you found a hully board like the vaquero too short at 6’8, it’s a design that likes some glide. I’d suggest mid 7’s the sweet spot for one of those?

Also I am small and light so my 6’10 is another mans 7’2...

Reactions: chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Length has to match the design. I’m not surprised you found a hully board like the vaquero too short at 6’8, it’s a design that likes some glide. I’d suggest mid 7’s the sweet spot for one of those?

Also I am small and light so my 6’10 is another mans 7’2...
I would think you begin to get the intended glide at about a foot over you height, I think smaller ones would benefit with sidebies unless u are surfin perfect waves

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I would think you begin to get the intended glide at about a foot over you height, I think smaller ones would benefit with sidebies unless u are surfin perfect waves
I rode the 6’8 at head high point break on a sneaker swell, only board i had with me, and it worked great.

Sold it.

Had a 7’2 vaquero also. Sold it.

I think 7’0 would be my sweet spot.

Mar 12, 2014
They also do a lower priced Magic carpet brand with a Houdini model which uses the big baron files to compete with the Chinese boards. The coloured Magic carpets use E glass so more durable than the JS branded clear Thai PE boards.
Are you sure about that? Although a similar in style, appears the Houdini is quite different in nose profile, length behind the fins etc (and the dims are different between the two)

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Are you sure about that? Although a similar in style, appears the Houdini is quite different in nose profile, length behind the fins etc (and the dims are different between the two)
I'm just relaying what the shop staffer told me. Within the realms of possibility that JS tweaked the file to make a point of subtle differences for the budget brand boards? The boards aren't really of interest to me as have too many mids in the rack already.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
eps blank
Those shits you can hardly paddle them into waves. See the EPS bead thread for further infirmation.

The gaps between EPS beads are essentially tiny bubbles in a board. Blow a bubble under water and it will want to rise straight to the surface. That’s the best way I can explain it. If all things being equal, a polyurethane board will cover more distance than an EPS board if pushed through the water.

What does that mean while paddling and riding a wave? It’s way easier to paddle a poly board because you cover more distance with each stroke.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
1687201442967.png
Dyland was going hard on the amphetamine that night. 5 hours of conspiracy Youtubes and Swaylock's got all mixed up. Finally passed out after ordering seven new boards all carbin/pu from Critters Toy Company.

Stay tuned for the "I got new boards thread".

• Haha
Reactions: MrSteve

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
View attachment 156721
Dyland was going hard on the amphetamine that night. 5 hours of conspiracy Youtubes and Swaylock's got all mixed up. Finally passed out after ordering seven new boards all carbin/pu from Critters Toy Company.

Stay tuned for the "I got new boards thread".
did casa hack ur account lolz