***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i haven't ridden the CI mid twin but based on the regular Mid it would not be my first choice for small, weak surf.

tail is not very wide and it's fairly thin. wouldn't be my top choice for the small stuff. although I'm sure it's fun in the right conditions and I would definitely choose it over the 2+1 version.

Reactions: jkb and j_mac

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
i haven't ridden the CI mid twin but based on the regular Mid it would not be my first choice for small, weak surf.

tail is not very wide and it's fairly thin. wouldn't be my top choice for the small stuff. although I'm sure it's fun in the right conditions and I would definitely choose it over the 2+1 version.
One thing I dislike about the design, or rather the CI construction, is that it’s heavy. Wouldn’t want to try that in small weak surf. There’s a Varial 6’7” available that weighs 7.4 pounds, however. Same weight as a regular PU HPSB.

Reactions: j_mac

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I have a CI Mid 2+1 in Varial and the construction feels good and lively, I would recommend. But note that and the twin version are both made for descent surf. Also overall If you want a mid for small surf I would recommend 2+1 over twin mid length, the I've had a few and twin mids are clunky unless you have a nice wall. Not as easy to access but my Andreini Vaquero eats up the small stuff, where as my other mids (CI2+1 and Sabre twin) need some down the line juice. Took me some trial and error to figure this out.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
yeah maybe get a custom chonky diamond tail like duffy's. that thing looks like fun for the small stuff.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
But note that and the twin version are both made for descent surf.
Maybe you’re thinking of the twin pin?

The mid twin is so flat and egg shaped that is hard to imagine needing good surf. Because there’s little if any concave on the bottom?

Also there’s supposed to be more kick in the tail on the mid twin than the mid.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
I've been trying to figure out a good mid-length for a few years unsuccessfully. Something cruisy that paddles easy and will work in small weak surf to maybe head high or so. Finally figured out that I've been too focused on performance. Anyway, the bort that seems to fill the bill is a CI mid twin. I felt one up at CI yesterday and something that stood out was the pronounced V that goes all the way up to the mid section of the board. (see attached screen capture). If there's any concave it's subtle. That may make it easier to turn and stuff but wouldn't it also make the board slower?

View attachment 157803
Don’t want to rain on your (4th) parade but as Pete mentions, the ci mids aren’t really designed for anything under shoulder high with a little shape. vee means smooth rail to rail but less able to generate speed in slow waves. Listen to anything Devon Howard has ever said about eggs and it’s always ride a log or something short and speed generating ( fishy ?) in small waves.
FWIW I have a 6’10 twin that goes great in chest high plus that’s similar to the CI but has a wider squash tail and plenty of concave to help it. Even that I won’t ride below chest high. The extra length of eggy mids prefer a decent face to draw lines on. If you can let go of “performance” then something that trims and draws lateral lines like a vaquero or 7’6 a 8’ outlier or Lovelace thick lizzy is worth looking at
( or as Pete notes the 7’0 outlier that’s a giant mini Simmons)

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Anyone ridden that tri-plane hull CI mid?
My friend has one but haven’t tried it yet. He prefers it to the 2+1 he had but still thinks it needs a decent wave. He’s a good logger sizing down rather than a short boarder sizing up and his is fairly small for him. Maybe if you go for a longer one it would work in small waves?

Edir- this is the 6’10 I mentioned. Quite similar to duffys I guess!

Reactions: chilly1

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
My friend has one but haven’t tried it yet. He prefers it to the 2+1 he had but still thinks it needs a decent wave. He’s a good logger sizing down rather than a short boarder sizing up and his is fairly small for him. Maybe if you go for a longer one it would work in small waves?

Edir- this is the 6’10 I mentioned. Quite similar to duffys I guess!

Forget the borts, I need some of those slip-ons.

• Love
Reactions: chilly1 and jory

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Maybe you’re thinking of the twin pin?

The mid twin is so flat and egg shaped that is hard to imagine needing good surf. Because there’s little if any concave on the bottom?

Also there’s supposed to be more kick in the tail on the mid twin than the mid.
No, not the CI Twin Pin, although that may grovel better that the mid with less rail, I was referring to mid lengths in general. I've had Townsend and MC Twin Pin as well none go well under chest high. The only one is my Vaquero, I am certain there are others. I was listening to a podcast with D Howard a while ago and he pretty much summed up what I found on my own that less lined up he goes to 2+1, and lined up points twin. If you want a twin mid to grovel you may want to look at a Plasmic Mid Twin?

Reactions: estreet

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
What everyone else has said, most eggs aren't really grovelers despite the flat rocker. They need a bit of a wave, preferably a lined up wall. The fin configuration seems more a matter of preference.

That 7'0 Outlier, different than the 7'6 and 8'0 versions, looks like the ticket for this sort of board for small waves. Real has a good review of it. I've been keeping my eye out for a used one.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I decided to put this one on the mid length thread rather than the twinzer thread to promote discussion. Is this a mid length?

6'-5" x 20-1/4" x 2-1/2". I was really happy with the outline (and rocker, foil and rails). I moved the wide point 3" above center. But it is also at center. It is also 2" aft of center. 2 lb EPS. Unlike my others there is no glass under the veneer, not even on the deck. I was trying to see how light I could get it and still be durable. We'll see. E/S hybrid glass (E in the warp to maintain flex, S in the weft for dent resistance). The S fibers are visible going across the board and the laps and deck patches are kind of milky and visible.

4" nose rocker, 2" tail. The photos make it looks like more nose flip. Over 1/4" single concave (more than I previously used), transitioning to vee between the feet ( about 20" up), with double concaves starting in the vee 1/8 deep. Aft of the fins the vee maxes out at 1/4" at swallow tips (so I figure 2-1/4" tail rocker at the tips, 2-1/2" if you calculate the 1/4" single).

I foiled the tail and rails pretty thin this time. Looking forward to riding it.

I sanded the bottom to 1500. Still not glossy but it was enough to make the grain figure pop.

Oh, under 7 lbs

IMG_8205.jpgIMG_8197.jpg

IMG_8199.jpgIMG_8204.jpg
IMG_8208.jpg

IMG_8212.jpg

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I decided to put this one on the mid length thread rather than the twinzer thread to promote discussion. Is this a mid length?

6'-5" x 20-1/4" x 2-1/2". I was really happy with the outline (and rocker, foil and rails). I moved the wide point 3" above center. But it is also at center. It is also 2" aft of center. 2 lb EPS. Unlike my others there is no glass under the veneer, not even on the deck. I was trying to see how light I could get it and still be durable. We'll see. E/S hybrid glass (E in the warp to maintain flex, S in the weft for dent resistance). The S fibers are visible going across the board and the laps and deck patches are kind of milky and visible.

4" nose rocker, 2" tail. The photos make it looks like more nose flip. Over 1/4" single concave (more than I previously used), transitioning to vee between the feet ( about 20" up), with double concaves starting in the vee 1/8 deep. Aft of the fins the vee maxes out at 1/4" at swallow tips (so I figure 2-1/4" tail rocker at the tips, 2-1/2" if you calculate the 1/4" single).

I foiled the tail and rails pretty thin this time. Looking forward to riding it.

I sanded the bottom to 1500. Still not glossy but it was enough to make the grain figure pop.

Oh, under 7 lbs

View attachment 157872View attachment 157873

View attachment 157874View attachment 157875
View attachment 157877

View attachment 157878
what kind of flip flops r those?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Woke AF