The COIL review thread

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico
There's at least one known buckled Grid posted on this thread a while back and IIRC it was repaired by a forum member. Post could be buried deep or got deleted in the forum update.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Fredtool said:
Mike said something about Hawaiian strength glassing. How much extra weight does this ad to the Board? What does it do to the Flex of a Coil Board?
I had a Haw lam board in kick. It was nice and still retained flex. It added weight, which I liked because it was a step-up.

My next board will be in the smooth tech, which I believe weighs more than kick.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Fredtool said:
Mike said something about Hawaiian strength glassing. How much extra weight does this ad to the Board? What does it do to the Flex of a Coil Board?
I have a couple Hawaiian glass Kicks and a (former) non-Hawaiian Kick. Flex feels about the same. So does weight, especially when they get covered in wax.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I could not resist the urge to put in a new order with Mike and crew. I want to take the new smooth tech for a spin.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Taco time.

My board arrived yesterday. Very quick turnaround. Thanks to Mike, Kirk and the rest of the crew.

5'8, 20 1/4, 2 1/2 twin/trailer board for summer. Volume is 1.10. Full rails, lower rocker, and coil foil.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
It's the "smooth tech," which feels similar to grid, although there is obviously more going than in the grid boards.

I asked Mike to make me something like this and said, "give me lower rocker, coil foil, and twin/trailer set up."

win-win

Michael Peterson status
Jul 12, 2007
You are gonna dig that RNF, JDJ. had 6 or 7 over the years and it's one of my favorite with the Twin + trailer. Super hp. :shaka:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Thanks guys. Took it for a spin today in some mush. Worked so well. I'm running the fcs 2 MRtx and those fins feel perfect in this board. No sliding. And good pivot.

So far so good. Summer just got a lot better.

Thanks Mike and Kirk.

sublime74

Miki Dora status
Jan 13, 2010
J_D_J said:
Thanks guys. Took it for a spin today in some mush. Worked so well. I'm running the fcs 2 MRtx and those fins feel perfect in this board. No sliding. And good pivot.

So far so good. Summer just got a lot better.

Thanks Mike and Kirk.
I got a couple wonky waves on it and it's confirmed that the board is sick... got everything including High Performance snappy feel which we all want in grovel boards, my opinion :rockin: