The COIL review thread

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico

A very unique Coil Custom arrived today.

Im super stoked on the outcome and its right on time for some good S swells. The rocker is a modified Qualifier with Mike's own touch on the nose and the outline is a wider Blur, diamond tail because reasons.

5'8x18.38x0.74 cu/ft, while it started out as 0.72 cu/ft, more volume was needed to fill in the outline, but the rails are still quite foiled. Review in due time! :wave2: .

pee_pee

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 25, 2012
looks good Ivan! what made you stick with kick as opposed to the new smooth tech?

pee_pee

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 25, 2012
makes sense Ivan, thanks! my best coil ever was kick (RIP). got 2 new ones in smooth tech and while they are a bit heavier than kick, since I'm in booties 100% of the time, the extra weight is a bit welcome to combat flypaper syndrome.
my new mike daniel 6'4 thumbtail reverse v is treating me really well!

wavesontheway

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 12, 2012
Looks killer ivan - really like what MD did on that one.
what changes did you make to the "standard" rocker, and why?

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico
The objective was to give the Qualifier more planning surface and relaxed entry rocker for a better low end, some more built in speed and the whole shebang. Really just wanted a normal shortboard for everyday conditions.

Aruka

Phil Edwards status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Rocker and outline both look great. Less nose flip than the classic qualifier? I like the little extra width up front as well. Overall it's right up my alley I reckon.

Diamond tail, hell yeah.

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico
Had a decent session on it today, got to surf 2ft to OH which gave me a pretty good idea what to expect next time. I probably got north of 18-20 waves in 3 hours on a crowded day, it handles the lineup quite nicely. So far Im really liking it, conditions were OK at best, the wind was a couple knots away from ruining it and there was a weird bump even after a couple waves went by (which is rare-ish).

MikeDaniel said:
That was a fun one to do! Came out just over 5lbs, which is a heavyweight for us.
I honestly didn't mind the weight at all, it is still pretty light and Im glad it is a touch heavier cause it is wicked responsive but not squirrely.

Gotta do more field testing before a full review, but its lookin like an out-of-the-stadium homerun :wave2:

Dec 9, 2008
Picked this M80 just in time for some summertime flatness in Florida.
5'10 x 20 1/4 x 2 5/8
The outline looks like its going to be super fun, never surfed a board so thick before. Hope that I (205lbs) can sink the rail.
Included are some pics of my nice yard and clean house.