The COIL review thread

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Alaska Airlines managed to do something that I couldn't accomplish over the course of a decade: ding one of my Coils.

I discovered the ding while in the water. For anyone else who was wondering, open dings on a Coil do take on water. Not much - the ding itself still looks dry and doesn't weep or anything, but I sucked about half a mouthful out* over a few tries.** Not terrible for a 2.5 hour session. If it dries enough tomorrow I'll probably just epoxy over the crack, which is midway down the rail where the carbon fiber lap hits the bottom of the board. Otherwise maybe I'll stick some ding tape on it for the week and cut it off to dry later. I am leaving this board in Hawaii and imagine that delegating a board to North Shore duty is basically a suspended death sentence that will trigger when I pull into the wrong wave at the wrong time.

*code words to see if Gay Code Joe is still lurking the forums or if the character passed away with OTF.
**also true. I literally did suck water out the ding by mouth.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
I'd leave that ding open in the air condition for another week after it appears to be dry. My only yellow coil was one dinged by airlines and I didn't realize. I think it yellowed because i didn't let it dry out thoroughly before fixing. I did let it dry a good bit, but not week+.

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico
Boards look great. Based on my last order and my friend’s, whatever iteration of tech he’s now using, Kirk has it absolutely dialed. Boards are super light but not too light and feel great underfoot.
I'm almost tempted on replacing my M80-S (if it's even called that nowdays), but after 10 years that first iteration of the "dimple" tech just won't give up, feels as good as day 1.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I'm almost tempted on replacing my M80-S (if it's even called that nowdays), but after 10 years that first iteration of the "dimple" tech just won't give up, feels as good as day 1.
I would do it. You certainly won’t be disappointed. ten years is a long time. Maybe you can volume up.

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico
I would do it. You certainly won’t be disappointed. ten years is a long time. Maybe you can volume up.
TBH, at most I'd add another 0.01~0.02 cu/ft, I'd hate to see the upper end of the board suffer from too much foam.

Got two reasons not to replace it: 1- still works really well. 2- can't think of another board-type I'd like to add along with the refresh :LOL:

Reactions: JDJ

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico
Ahh, cubic feet. Harkens back to the days COil was the only one writing volumes on boards.
Not to mention the only ones using a real measurement of volume from the very beginning, none of that retarded "cubic liters" nonsense that refused to go away.. just like flat earthers :socrazy:

Jun 13, 2022
just thought I would post a link to some Coils for sale.

I have a fairly new 5'7" squash and my brother is selling a 5'10" squash. Both custom shaped
and both have maybe 6 rides on them.

Reactions: JDJ

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Not sure I'll own another Coil at this point and safe to say I never clicked with this board before this trip. Its a 6'1 swallowtail. Not even sure what model anymore. But Playgrounds in Nicaragua was what was needed to get it dialed. Plenty of volume but still so easy to push around. Guess I have my new go to board. Just been sitting in the quiver for 5 years.
DSC00331-2.JPG
DSC01522.jpg
DSC01371-2.jpg