The COIL review thread

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
3rd iteration of an M80 for me, upsize a bit every time due to accumulating maladies. This one is 6-0 x 20 1/4 x 2 1/2. I just love the M80 outline. Actually had a Short Round on order, then thought to myself it looks sorta like an M80, so I cancelled it...and here we are. Came with a bit of a rail crack, but no biggie. One question for the crew though, as I've never seen a closeup of smooth tech. I ordered smooth, but when this one came, it seems to be halfway between my Kick and my OG tech. Is that what smooth is? Or should it be totally smooth like a standard board?

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
backsidefloaters said:
Picked this M80 just in time for some summertime flatness in Florida.
5'10 x 20 1/4 x 2 5/8
The outline looks like its going to be super fun, never surfed a board so thick before. Hope that I (205lbs) can sink the rail.
Included are some pics of my nice yard and clean house.
That thing looks fun!! Haven't had a Coil in years. Whats the wait time now?

WarrenC

Michael Peterson status
Nov 30, 2008
The M80 has always been my favorite shape from the Coil crew
just looks so right.
esp for FL

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico

Finally a review of this gem.

So I'm arguably one of the most stoked guys every time I get a new board that works beyond anything I had imagined (since it's a custom), and this time is no different, this is why I waited more than usual to review it.

Just as a reminder, this board is a wider nose/tail Blur outline with a Qualifier rocker tailored for speed while keeping peak performance.

Usually all-rounders have been a miss for me, they either don't perform or feel sluggish down the line, those days are finally over. Funny enough, it was never intended for anything other than surfing lefts (cause goofy foot).

It's unfair to say it feels like 'X' shape, it is unique, but its not easy to describe without comparing it so.... Qualifier-like performance with WB-like speed and doesn't feel like an 'in-betweener', if I now its decent or better, this is the one to grab.
There's enough foam/planning surface for some grovel and it's volume is low enough for OH+ without breaking a sweat, the short rail diamond tail makes it feel shorter and handles power as good as a round tail. Paddles great thanks to the lower nose rocker but doesn't catch on turns unlike its predecessors.

Of course, since its not a specialty shape, it doesn't outshine a purebreed Qualifier or an M80-S in their respective elements, but it may as well be a one board quiver or a performance oriented 3-board quiver.

For me, this is what the Blur should have been all along and I'd even go as far as saying it should replace it entirely from the Coil lineup (or at least be part of it), it is THAT good and it deserves to be baptized with a bad ass name.

But enough of my board-gasm :wave2:

PS: 2016 Kick lam is tha s***!!

pee_pee

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 25, 2012
loving my 6'4 comfort gun derivative reverse vee to slight double at the norcal beachbreak. had been running large fcs carver thrusters and it went really good. switched out the rear for a medium carver and it went a little worse. back to carvers and good again. then medium accelerator fronts medium quad performer rears in this fun headhigh south and WOW, even better. first time i've preferred a quad in a long time.
haven't had a chance to ride my magic 6'8 comfort gun's exact copy replacement (RIP original) but when the waves pick up I know it's gonna be killer.
the new ones are smooth tech hawaii lam-a little heavier than kick but I actually like it since I'm in booties-kick was so light that i found it hard to move my feet without moving the board and consequently only used basecoat-if i were in a barefoot region this wouldn't be an issue.
I've been surfing for 2 decades but not a great surfer (only do 4 things, bottom turn, top turn, cutback, floater, 5 things if you count tube) so the lightness/bootie factor described above might be a nonissue for more skilled individuals.
love my coils!

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
lately I've been riding the 6'4" dimple skinned flashback fish custom mike did for me several years ago.
Mostly with FCS2 performers and a couple of times with carvers both in neoglass
It's a big board but then I'm chunky and old
The first time I tried it it felt like it had the dreaded epoxy/eps no momentum hard to paddle into waves syndrome with its fat nose.
but now after a half a dozen to a dozen sessions I've learned how to take off late with the board and catching waves is normal again.

At first i though the overall hyper lightness would be a problem like you find in all super light epoxy/eps boards but i'm finding that it actually makes the board very quick in those what do you do now situations. Like when your are at the bottom and the lip is already throwing infront of you, you can kick jump it like a skateboard and catch the lip midair for a loud spacking floater or just whip it super hard off the tail with all your weight(200+ lbs) to try and demolish the lip as you arc back down in a small space.

Haven't had it in any waves of consequence (overhead+) but its surprisingly been allot of fun seeing what such a wide and light board can do as a quad or thruster.

Hopefully with all this recent water time I can drop 5-10 lbs and get back on my GG 6'2" hovercraft to compare the fun barometers. 6'2" for a poi belly'd over 60 year old gets rough on the back though. I also have a 6'4" Pyzalien I haven't tried. Saving that for those rare low crowded bigger days at my homie.

Anyway just wanted to thank Mike D. for all his hard work and recommendation.
I'm a very happy camper with this flashback fish.

Feb 18, 2014
Mahalo for the kind words, B.

Just shaped a few more that are headed to Oahu.

We're glad you like the board. Go alien technology!

Feb 28, 2009
For those of you with an M80, what volumes are you finding work best for your weight. I know volume is somewhat subjective, and a lot of factors can play into it, but I'm just looking for a general idea of how these things are sized. Thanks to a relatively rapid weight loss, I'm out of tune with volume figures.

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
...depends on what you usually like for volume.

Talk to (email) Mike; he won't steer you wrong. He'll probably ask your weight and where you want to float when you're sitting on the board (belly button, nipples, whatever), and he'll suggest the volume based on that and what works for most guys.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I would size a M80 like you would most HPSB stubs. I wouldn't get too caught up on the volume or size down the board based on the tech. Just go with what you know and what works for you.

Great board. I had one in kick.

Feb 28, 2009
Thanks guys. I was looking at a used one 1.06 cuft. I'm 187. I've got 3 Coils, and my existing coils were shaped for me at 220lbs. In my gut I know it's likely too small for me, but it looks so good and the price is right.

There are actually few used coils available in my neck of the woods that are all sized in my general size range and I'm tempted by all of them. Like a kid with candy. Hesitant to order another new one until I see where my body weight "settles", but I've been very happy with all of mine.

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
What are the rest of the dimensions?

At 150 (plus or minus a couple/few), my m80 is 5'7" x 19.5" x 2.25" and just over .80 (maybe .83?).

Proportionally, seems like that ones right there if my math is right.

Other dims might be more telling.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I rode a 6'2" blur at 1.05 ft*3 and it worked great. I was around 190-5 at the time. Now I'm older and slower so I bumped in size to 1.10.

Feb 28, 2009
Thanks guys. All good info. I especially like hearing these volumes considering I picked up a used 5'10" Coilg Spring fish with vol at 1.12. I gravitate towards "fishy" shapes, so I'm hopeful this can be a relatively good wave board for me. Was very tempted by a 6'2" blur at 1.1cu ft, but I haven't had a true hpsb in many years and thought it might be too much of a change of pace for me.

@VaB. I had Mike make me a longboard buster directly patterned after the one he made for you. I've never given it a proper review, but man that thing has been a ton of fun in tiny summertime nothing surf.

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
pkovo said:
Thanks guys. All good info. I especially like hearing these volumes considering I picked up a used 5'10" Coilg Spring fish with vol at 1.12...
Steve's (a.k.a. "Mr. Steve" here) board? If so that was a great score. Great board for a great price. I was super tempted myself, but funds were (are) a bit tight when I checked it out. Almost glad it's no longer available so now I can't stress out about how to raise the funds to buy it myself.

Feb 28, 2009
That's the one! Other than the volume, it's dimensions and general shape should feel pretty familiar to me.

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Left a hole in my quiver when I sold my 6'0 qualifier. Never really clicked. I love my 5'8 m80 single-wing swallow. It is 1.00 and perfect. I'd like something a bit longer that falls under my 6'3 qualifier step up.

Thinking a swallowtail Blur might be the call, maybe similar to what Ivan did with the qualifier rocker. Any other ideas?

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ

Newest daily driver arrived last week. Was looking for a little more rail line and less outline curve than my 5'8 m80.

Went with a Blur with a touch more rocker. 5'11 x 19 3/4" x 2 1/2". 1.15 ft^3. Little extra volume should help with the winter wetsuit weight and paddling.