The COIL review thread

Sep 26, 2011
ifallalot said:
Back to the old build?
They'll make whatever you want. I wanted to see if they could sand the deck and keep the kick on the bottom, but went with grid tech. I didn't know they still could, but it was recommended because I wanted as strong as I could go and wasn't as concerned about weight. Kurt mentioned that they were only half a pound heavier and more durable than a comparable 6oz poly. Still very light.

FWIW, they're now doing longboards also. Mike or Kirk should be able to hook it up. You can get whatever you want, but I specifically asked for the old school look of the Coil I first drooled over!

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Those look great. I know they keep a tight lid on their tech, but maybe Mike can talk about the builds Coil is now offering.

Feb 18, 2014
Thanks for the interest - here's what we're doing...

We have two finish options, Kick and Smooth. The lam schedules are largely the same, but since Smooth has a fill coat it weighs just a little more.

We also offer a choice of weights and strengths. Our "normal" is about the weight of a single 4 PU, and lots more rugged. Or you can get it very very strong in the "Hawaii" lam.

These products have updated fiber technology (things are always moving in the big world of composites), so they're not the same as the "old" boards. Plus Kirk and Eric don't sit still on processes either, so there's hidden improvements there.

The whole way we build boards is so different from the rest of the industry, especially different from the "go buy an off the shelf PU blank and have it CNC cut and glassed with tissue paper" segment.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
This is very true , myself included :

The whole way we build boards is so different from the rest of the industry, especially different from the "go buy an off the shelf PU blank and have it CNC cut and glassed with tissue paper" segment.

Feb 18, 2014
Back in 1992, the first board Kirk ever bagged was a longboard he made for himself. So it's not too much of a surprise we've done a few lately.

They cost too much to build and ship, though....

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
MikeDaniel said:
Back in 1992, the first board Kirk ever bagged was a longboard he made for himself. So it's not too much of a surprise we've done a few lately.

They cost too much to build and ship, though....
Does that mean you're willing to do a gun if the price is right?

Feb 18, 2014
Sure, but I don't think I should talk price here. I shaped a fair # of guns in my previous life as a PU shaper lol.

Since everyone rides smaller boards in bigger waves now the 7'0"s we do have filled most of that need. You've got one, correct?

pee_pee

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 25, 2012
looking forward to when it gets small enough around here to ride my 6'7 comfort gun :drowning:

favorite board of all time!

Mar 14, 2014
Mixed feelings on my Coil experience. The thin coating that was on the kick tech, once shattered, would just kind of keep flaking off easily. However, the glassing job underneath was top notch and felt indestructible. I loved the flex on the board when getting in late on a wave. Today though, I somehow managed to completely buckle my Coil on a shoulder-HH late drop...something I wasn't expecting from this tech.

Spinktopus

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 31, 2011
Satellite Beach, FL
ZanderZ said:
Mixed feelings on my Coil experience. The thin coating that was on the kick tech, once shattered, would just kind of keep flaking off easily. However, the glassing job underneath was top notch and felt indestructible. I loved the flex on the board when getting in late on a wave. Today though, I somehow managed to completely buckle my Coil on a shoulder-HH late drop...something I wasn't expecting from this tech.

Ouch

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico
I had one of my kick'd coils buckle last year, but it was on a heavy shorebreak, I didnt notice it had buckled until I felt something weird on the rail.

Sometimes its just pure bad luck at the wrong moment. Sorry for your loss.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
MikeDaniel said:
Sure, but I don't think I should talk price here. I shaped a fair # of guns in my previous life as a PU shaper lol.

Since everyone rides smaller boards in bigger waves now the 7'0"s we do have filled most of that need. You've got one, correct?
Sure do. I've had several excellent sessions on it in the 10-15' realm, including my barrel of the winter last year. The problem is that isn't a "bigger wave" around here.

My only complaint about the Kick Tech is trying to clean the wax off it to put a fresh coat on. That was some work.

Fredtool

Nep status
Jan 31, 2014
Florida
Mike said something about Hawaiian strength glassing. How much extra weight does this ad to the Board? What does it do to the Flex of a Coil Board?

Mar 14, 2014
Fredtool said:
Mike said something about Hawaiian strength glassing. How much extra weight does this ad to the Board? What does it do to the Flex of a Coil Board?
I would be interested in hearing about this as well. Has anyone had any buckling issues with Coils that dont have the kick tech?