The best pizza?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
1) What is the key to getting good pizza crust (thin and slightly crispy) in a home oven?

2) Where can one buy good pizza dough?

3) What is the proper cooking surface?

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
1) What is the key to getting good pizza crust (thin and slightly crispy) in a home oven?

Zero personal experience… but I did just talk with a buddy who makes excellent homemade pizza, and just picked up a book on this, Elements of Pizza. ssembling all the stuff now.

1) Pizza steel. Not a stone. This seems to be everyone’s preferred method for crispy crust.

that being said this book has a recipe for baking sheet pizza, but they claim the steel is superior.

2) seems like most ppl make their own
3) see number one.

I need to dig through this thread too. Looks like ppl are makingsome good za.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Zero personal experience… but I did just talk with a buddy who makes excellent homemade pizza, and just picked up a book on this, Elements of Pizza. And am assembling all the stuff now.

1) Pizza steel. Not a stone. This seems to be everyone’s preferred method for crispy crust.

that being said this book has a recipe for baking sheet pizza, but they claim the steel is superior.

2) seems like most ppl make their own
3) see number one.

Going to investigate...good luck on your journey.

Reactions: slipped_disc

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
We aren’t big homemade pizza folk, but made a few last night with basic Trader Joe’s fixins, did one on the usual pizza stone and two in 12” cast iron skillets, the skillet pizzas were far superior, changed my whole outlook on homemade pizza. Good crispy crust. The stone went to goodwill today.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Roll it out I guess :unsure:

Lots of Italian restaurants sell their dough. Or make your own.

Whatever you use, let it get to room temp (but not for too long as it will over proof) before you roll it out. IMO this is the #1 reason why most homemade pizza sucks.

Pizza stone pre-heated. I prep on parchment paper so that I move it around easily.

EDIT: Guess pizza stones are snake oil :(

Redeyes

OTF status
Jan 16, 2015
Jacksonville, FL

Check out this site. It has recipes, a forum and a dough calculator if you get to the level of dialing in your dough to your region of humidity. The forum is good and worth checking out if your into home cooked pizza

www.pizzamaking.com

Reactions: slipped_disc

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Was in NYC this week and did a little pizza perusing. First up, John’s of Bleeker:
IMG_6906.jpegSolid slice, the hype is real. Super cool joint with old school vibes.

Next up, Denino’s:
IMG_6908.jpeg
Also very good. Bartender made me a delicious Perfect Manhattan to go with it.

Trained up to Providence after NYC and promptly went to Pizza Marvin (again) to compare notes and I gotta say, I think their Burrata Pie is my number one:
1706326953274.jpeg