Stab EAST 2023 - Shaun Manners

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Heard the same thing from another participating shaper. They were asked to make a specific quad. Then the rider changed at the last minute too.

Reactions: RyanLovelace4

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I do too - the board was specifically requested. IMO it was mostly a train wreck and a pretty expectable outcome - 90/10 chance that was gonna go that way but they asked for it, so thems the way the chips fell!
would way rather have contributed something else.
It would be awesome if you could take a requested shape, and modify it a hair. For example, but some fin plugs in a RF. Just blow someone's mind apart. I don't know that this would work, but maybe just take what they request and put your own spin on it (in future).

I love that you get the screen time and publicity, and again amazed it didn't look like a train wreck, but what a bummer when you want to shape something else!!!!

Hope all is great, R. Miss seeing you!

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Fwiw I thought the rabbits foot looked pretty fun. Not something I'd plonk down $900 for but I can see the appeal.

Dane Gudauskas would be a good candidate
He may be a bit too frothy. I could see him finding something positive about any and every board, which is cool, but I think his stock level could be a little tiring over several episodes. Super nice guy and he rips.

I was on Tavarua when he and his family were there for the first time in August of 2023. I run into him and his brothers every couple of years and they're always super cool.

Reactions: RyanLovelace4

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Pretty late to the game but finally watched this one and it was pretty sick and pretty shitty at the same time. lol. Shaun is a very talented surfer, but seemed like he didn't really give a sh!t about the boards. Which was pretty rad, but kinda shitty. If there was someone there to egg him on and keep him frothing on those shapes a little longer I think it could have been much better. He called it quits too early in my opinion.

That flex tail board looks sick! I wonder if anyone else has ridden one?? I think Kelly had one in his AUS quiver 2 years ago. I wonder if he ever rode his. :unsure:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
They're in the middle of filming with Rasta for EAST.

Shaun was a last minute replacement for Mikey Wright since he was available and about the same height and weight. Mikey's wife was expecting their baby when filming was due to commence.

Chun is and has always been a HP Thruster guy and predominately rides his dad's shapes. He's just one of those guys that's not having fun unless he feels he's sarfing to his potential which is progressive. I don't know if Mikey would have been much better. I know he rides some of Burch's shapes, but he's still a pretty HP sarfer. He may have been more likable and showed more personality than Chun.