Stab EAST 2023 - Shaun Manners

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Gentlemen,

It's time for it's own thread.

I watched the first episode. As an Aussie, it's good to see Aussie shapers involved and there definitely looks like a good mix of board styles. It is also refreshing to see that Chunny (Shaun) is not shy to call out the boards he doesn't like.

I must say I was surprised to see the MOTE board look terrible under his feet. Having surfed Bells/Winki a few times myself, I would have thought that a 7'0" MOTE would have been a great choice out there...

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
First episode was so fun. EAST has gotta be about a million times better than Stab in the Dark. So fun just seeing the differences of ride between the boards instead of imperceptible differences with a guy in the seat surfing like any pro on tour. Shaun was calling those waves fat, but they looked like all time fun to me. Yeah, really the surprised the MOTE didn't soak up those waves. Agree that the NPJ Douza looked the best so far. Not really sure why anyone would buy a Rabbitsfoot. Looks dumb.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Wasn't MOTE the flavor of the week here recently?
I got a couple MOTEs. Love them long time. 7'2 Massive eats up big and small waves with so much smooth glide and pivot. 6'2 AuGoGo is the best fat wave step-up out there. Can handle the hollow stuff too, but you need to remind yourself the rocker is pretty flat so you don't pearl. Beautiful craftsmanship and pretty indestructible.

No Contest San Francisco is fun on STAB too. Only downer is Ashton Cringe Gobbins.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
He's a great surfer and it's nice seeing some different shapers on this one. I kinda wish they would have picked someone who has more experience riding alternative craft but maybe it's a good thing and will show how hard it is to adapt to certain models and designs.

Waves sure looked great in the first episode but too big for a couple that he tried IMO

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
He's a great surfer and it's nice seeing some different shapers on this one. I kinda wish they would have picked someone who has more experience riding alternative craft but maybe it's a good thing and will show how hard it is to adapt to certain models and designs.

Waves sure looked great in the first episode but too big for a couple that he tried IMO
Agreed. He looks good on the alt boards but you can tell he just wants to shred. Will be good to see him on the rippier boards. Excited for the Hayden, CI and that step wing MR.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
also I don't think he looked entirely bad on the MOTE. I think with some adjustments and maybe some experimentation with fins he could probably surf it better. I mean think about going from sub 6'0" shotboards to a 7'0 twin. Not exactly a seemless transition for anyone.

My HPSB buddy looked like absolute sh!t riding my twin keel the one session he did. I'm sure he'd adjust eventually but it takes time.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
also I don't think he looked entirely bad on the MOTE. I think with some adjustments and maybe some experimentation with fins he could probably surf it better. I mean think about going from sub 6'0" shotboards to a 7'0 twin. Not exactly a seemless transition for anyone.

My HPSB buddy looked like absolute sh!t riding my twin keel the one session he did. I'm sure he'd adjust eventually but it takes time.
Some people are more adaptable than others. If you spend a lifetime on HPSB thrusters any variation will be noticeable and any radical deviation will present a problem.

The only board that I need multiple sessions to get going on is my HPSB. I can jump on all my other boards and within a turn or two it’s like I never had anything else.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The more different boards you ride, the better you get at adjusting to them and dialing them in. It's similar to surfing different waves. If you surf different types of waves you can apply those skills to similar waves wherever you go.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
The more different boards you ride, the better you get at adjusting to them and dialing them in. It's similar to surfing different waves. If you surf different types of waves you can apply those skills to similar waves wherever you go.
I be found the same through personal experience. I’d probably lay surf a little better if I just stuck to a couple of boards but I’d rather be competent on se real designs. Much more fun.

jeebus, I was sober last night too^

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I be found the same through personal experience. I’d probably lay surf a little better if I just stuck to a couple of boards but I’d rather be competent on se real designs. Much more fun.
Thought experiment…

…if you absolutely rip on an HPSB but can’t surf a twin fin worth a sh!t do you really surf “better” than if can go back and forth between boards and surf them all pretty damn good?

I don’t have THE answer to that but I feel for myself as a recreational surfer I’m “better“ by being more well rounded.

Reactions: SD_Dan and ReForest

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
So far I'm pretty unimpressed and uninspired by everything. (Prediction: The CI will end up winning because it's the most akin to a HPSB.) That said, I was amazed at how well he surfed the Rabbit's Foot, a board I would never want to own. I thought it was going to be a complete train wreck - amazed it wasn't. I wish Ryan would shape something else for these EASTs.

Note: The Byrne board was exactly what I thought it would be. Might be good frontside for a goofy at restaurants. I know it's more of a thought experiment, but seems like they intentionally made the wrong tool for the job. Ian Byrne is a damn good shaper.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Thought experiment…

…if you absolutely rip on an HPSB but can’t surf a twin fin worth a sh!t do you really surf “better” than if can go back and forth between boards and surf them all pretty damn good?

I don’t have THE answer to that but I feel for myself as a recreational surfer I’m “better“ by being more well rounded.
good point that I didn't really think of. I guess after thinking about it more better would mean more consistently surfing at my top level. Sometimes I attribute my mishaps and rail bogs (doug rail) to switching boards so often.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
That said, I was amazed at how well he surfed the Rabbit's Foot, a board I would never want to own. I thought it was going to be a complete train wreck - amazed it wasn't.
They edited that so well too. With Lovelace talking about how it's like relearning to surf and the conditions being big for a board like that... and then Shaun just hopping on it and spinning around from the get go. That got me hyped even though I normally wouldn't ever get pumped watching that kind of surfing.

Reactions: sh3