Stab EAST 2023 - Shaun Manners

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
So far I'm pretty unimpressed and uninspired by everything. (Prediction: The CI will end up winning because it's the most akin to a HPSB.) That said, I was amazed at how well he surfed the Rabbit's Foot, a board I would never want to own. I thought it was going to be a complete train wreck - amazed it wasn't. I wish Ryan would shape something else for these EASTs.

Note: The Byrne board was exactly what I thought it would be. Might be good frontside for a goofy at restaurants. I know it's more of a thought experiment, but seems like they intentionally made the wrong tool for the job. Ian Byrne is a damn good shaper.
I also found this episode a little annoying. I really like Shaun Manners, the dude rips and he seems like a fun guy. But he just didn't even seem to want to try.

He surfed the Rabbit's Foot well, but taking it out at well overhead, kinda crowded Winki was like he wanted it to fail.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I went to the premiere last night in Santa Monica. It was (over) a full house and everyone seemed to enjoy it, but I would have liked to have seen more borts Chunny could “rip” on for my 40 minute drive from South Redondo. Compared to other Stab EAST premieres, there was only one bort on display (a copy of an asym) of the various crafts Shaun rode and it wasn’t in the 1st episode. Free beer from 805 for the entirety of the evening was appreciated.

Reactions: SixtyGrit

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
good point that I didn't really think of. I guess after thinking about it more better would mean more consistently surfing at my top level. Sometimes I attribute my mishaps and rail bogs (doug rail) to switching boards so often.
Adjusting to boards is a skill.

Also determining that a particular board is a junker and not worth adjusting to is another skill.

I’ve had many boards where I get on them, ride a few waves and say “fuck this thing”. Then I sell ’em.

I determine it to be a board that needs to be surfed in a way that i either don’t want to surf or are incapable of surfing it the way I want.

A simple example would be a CI Proton that is 25 liters. It’s not a bad board and I have had (and loved) a Proton. It’s that one that size wouldn’t really work for me no matter how much adjusting I do.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
For me that was a JS BB3. Looked perfect, was my dims, but I could not for the life of me get it to go.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Adjusting to boards is a skill.

Also determining that a particular board is a junker and not worth adjusting to is another skill.

I’ve had many boards where I get on them, ride a few waves and say “fuck this thing”. Then I sell ’em.

I determine it to be a board that needs to be surfed in a way that i either don’t want to surf or are incapable of surfing it the way I want.

A simple example would be a CI Proton that is 25 liters. It’s not a bad board and I have had (and loved) a Proton. It’s that one that size wouldn’t really work for me no matter how much adjusting I do.
Hate to admit, but this is exactly how I am with HPSB style boards. The weird ones make me try harder. But I can hop on a board and usually know after 1 session, and a short one at that, if I'm going to keep it. Plus, once it's "in my head" that a board isn't good, that's it.

The ONLY exception I've ever come across is a Chilli I got years ago. it was a deep single concave round pin, shaped for someone else who didn't pick it up, so I got it for a steal. I simply couldn't get it to work the way I wanted to after 2 sessions and gave up. Put it up for sale. It didn't sell, though. Then the waves were up at a spot north of town and I grabbed it - since I couldn't seem to sell it - and took it out at a strong 805 beach break. Best session ever at that spot. Fell in love with that board and used it for years before it finally was 'destroyed' & I donated it to the cause. Never had another Chilli, but I should.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Have to say, I’m also not really impressed after the first episode. The guy seems like a better candidate for SITD than EAST. I feel like the formula of HPSB guy tries alt shapes is tired. At least Micks had the wrinkle of shaper collabs.
The MOTE and Lovelace boars seem so similar to what they’ve submitted before, why even bother?… let someone else in there.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
What's weird is when you haven't surfed a board that used to work great for you in years...then one day you take it for a spin and it feels like dogshit.
I had a dog sh!t board - weird custom directed by me - tried to sell it but nobody wanted it. Put it away for multiple years. One day I showed it to a friend who, when he talks anything surf related I listen, said I should put AMTs up front and nubsters in the quad rear boxes and try it.

I did.

It became a magic board that I surfed into the ground.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Have to say, I’m also not really impressed after the first episode. The guy seems like a better candidate for SITD than EAST. I feel like the formula of HPSB guy tries alt shapes is tired. At least Micks had the wrinkle of shaper collabs.
The MOTE and Lovelace boars seem so similar to what they’ve submitted before, why even bother?… let someone else in there.
Yeah, this one does feel like a bit of a step back compared to the last two with the shaper collab and then the Mason and Coco one. The waves look so fun though.

Dunno why they were allowed to submit those as STAB said the remit was to make something wild and unlike anything they've ever made before...