Stab EAST 2023 - Shaun Manners

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
In Stab High and some other stuff, he comes off as a solid dude. Classic Aussie, good to share a pint with.

Here, he just comes off as a young dude that's out of his comfort zone and is scared to look uncool. Which, whatever, is understandable, but it's also fucking annoying. If all you wanna ride are your dad's thrusters, that's cool. Just don't sign up for EAST (I'm sure he had pressure from his sponsors blah blah blah).

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
It just feels like Stab is stuck between two concepts that need to be split up.

1. Shape an alternative board that would impress or convert a thruster guy. No compromise, no unique feel, just a different path to total shreddage.
2. Get a range of hulls, mini simmons and other interesting shapes and have a willing ripper highlight what each unique design is best at.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Id add a third concept that’s been mentioned before.

Focus on one alt shape per season. One year’s a fish. Next is a sh!tlength, next is a channel twin etc.

It makes it easier to pick a location and surfer. It’ll influence what people buy more IMO.

and for the surfer, it gives them more to analyze and compare. How many interesting things can you really say when you’re comparing a Simon Jones and a 5’9” g skate.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Id add a third concept that’s been mentioned before.

Focus on one alt shape per season. One year’s a fish. Next is a sh!tlength, next is a channel twin etc.

It makes it easier to pick a location and surfer. It’ll influence what people buy more IMO.

and for the surfer, it gives them more to analyze and compare. How many interesting things can you really say when you’re comparing a Simon Jones and a 5’9” g skate.
I agree with this. Watching as I type this. I thought he'd like the g skate the best but he looked bad and said it was barely average.

Reactions: JDJ, jkb and j_mac

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
It’s also kind of lame a couple shapers provided existing models. Hayden changed the Psychedelic Germ to a quad, but that’s been a model for 12+ years. Ryan just submitted a scrubbed Rabbit’s Foot. I would assume the Psychedelic Germ will win, even though Shaun doesn’t seem to click with quads. It’s a very HP shape as a thruster and still a go-to for many of the HS team. There’s some footage of Dane Reynolds ripping on one in Mexico about 13 years ago.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
It just feels like Stab is stuck between two concepts that need to be split up.

1. Shape an alternative board that would impress or convert a thruster guy. No compromise, no unique feel, just a different path to total shreddage.
2. Get a range of hulls, mini simmons and other interesting shapes and have a willing ripper highlight what each unique design is best at.
Yeah, I would like it lean more on point 2.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I think he was doing alright on the g-skate, considering the fast running beachie conditions and it did look very short - anyone know how long it was? He did offer a little insight into the epoxy build not suiting the windy conditions, which is more than many STAB stars have managed when assessing a boar they didn't like.

What I found disconcerting was that Britt Merrick said he had "no idea" why his shape went well in big waves. I can have a go at reverse-engineering-guessing why - the narrow pulled in tail for a start. Given the fact that it does go well in big waves, it must be capable of paddling into them well for its size, so no doubt the rocker must be right - wide nose means it would need lowish rocker in the nose scoop area. I'm guessing reasonably pinched tail rails. Probably got some form of V to help stabilise it. I haven't read any descriptions or reviews.

Reactions: Havoc and sozzle

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Worst EAST yet. Dude seems like he's scared that Dane and the Former boys are going to roast him for saying something lame.

Reactions: Havoc
May 18, 2016
So far I'm pretty unimpressed and uninspired by everything. (Prediction: The CI will end up winning because it's the most akin to a HPSB.) That said, I was amazed at how well he surfed the Rabbit's Foot, a board I would never want to own. I thought it was going to be a complete train wreck - amazed it wasn't. I wish Ryan would shape something else for these EASTs.
I do too - the board was specifically requested. IMO it was mostly a train wreck and a pretty expectable outcome - 90/10 chance that was gonna go that way but they asked for it, so thems the way the chips fell!
would way rather have contributed something else.

May 18, 2016
It’s also kind of lame a couple shapers provided existing models. Hayden changed the Psychedelic Germ to a quad, but that’s been a model for 12+ years. Ryan just submitted a scrubbed Rabbit’s Foot. I would assume the Psychedelic Germ will win, even though Shaun doesn’t seem to click with quads. It’s a very HP shape as a thruster and still a go-to for many of the HS team. There’s some footage of Dane Reynolds ripping on one in Mexico about 13 years ago.
One thing to keep in mind is usually we have on the builder-side like (mildly sarcastic here) 3-8 days to put boards together when you get the call, its always REAL quick, and generally they give you a pretty defined idea of what they want, if not exactly what they want you to make (i've had it both ways but never a blank slate). sometimes you have some freedom and time to dig in, sometimes its a turn and burn, i have half a dozen things id LOVE to try out in that format if time and prompts lined up

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
One thing to keep in mind is usually we have on the builder-side like (mildly sarcastic here) 3-8 days to put boards together when you get the call, its always REAL quick, and generally they give you a pretty defined idea of what they want, if not exactly what they want you to make (i've had it both ways but never a blank slate). sometimes you have some freedom and time to dig in, sometimes its a turn and burn, i have half a dozen things id LOVE to try out in that format if time and prompts lined up
FM would’ve probably won the whole thing

Reactions: MomentaryBliss

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I do too - the board was specifically requested. IMO it was mostly a train wreck and a pretty expectable outcome - 90/10 chance that was gonna go that way but they asked for it, so thems the way the chips fell!
would way rather have contributed something else.
It’s illuminating to know that Stab chose the boards they would test rather than giving you free reign or at least narrowing it down via agreement between you both. I naturally assumed it was shapers choice alone. I don’t subscribe to Stab so have only seen the meagre free content.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Interesting peek behind the curtain. Thanks for sharing