Stab EAST 2023 - Shaun Manners

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Meanwhile in Ireland they have come up with this.
When you say "come up", you mean carbon copy of the idea, PLUS entirely following the same stylistic template, voiceover (with a different accent) including set up shots and the surfer knocking over boards? :D

Reactions: sh3

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
When you say "come up", you mean carbon copy of the idea, PLUS entirely following the same stylistic template, voiceover (with a different accent) including set up shots and the surfer knocking over boards? :D
Could have done with sub titles in more than a few places as well.
Surfing world runs on copying hey!

• Haha
Reactions: waxfoot

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Reckon that guy is really a professional surfer?

How much would he take home each month for being an Irish free-surfer you reckon?

Surfing those kinds of waves with a monster logo on your chest should pay the bills I'd hope

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest and Mr J

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
It does lack total originality of concept but ...using only board builders which are part of the local economy is commendable. Stab doing stuff regionally with an end of year final would be cool and likely get them more subscribers.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Bassy and DLS were talking a bit about this and made some good points.

They need to narrow down the selection of "alt shapes" for these, especially if you're choosing mostly pointy thruster surfers as the test pilots. In this scenario, it's pointless to include a 5'2 finless and a 7'6 midlength in the same test.

For hp guys like Shaun, Dane, Mick, and Noah, they should tell the shapers to make them the most high performance alt design they can come up with in the surfers dims.

Do a fish version with someone like Asher Pacey.

Do a midlength version with Torren Martyn.

I guess you could still do one with a variety of alt boards, but use an alt surfer like Burch or Bryce Young who know how to surf a variety of boards.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Bassy and DLS were talking a bit about this and made some good points.

They need to narrow down the selection of "alt shapes" for these, especially if you're choosing mostly pointy thruster surfers as the test pilots. In this scenario, it's pointless to include a 5'2 finless and a 7'6 midlength in the same test.

For hp guys like Yuri, Yuri, Yuri, and Yuri, they should tell the shapers to make them the most high performance alt design they can come up with in the surfers dims.

Do a fish version with someone like Yuri.

Do a midlength version with Yuri.

I guess you could still do one with a variety of alt boards, but use an alt surfer like Yuri or Yuri who know how to surf a variety of boards.
Fixed it for you!
:cheers:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I don't mind the variety but I don't fully understand having the thruster only guys as test pilots.

At least once it would be interesting to see someone on EAST who already rides lots of "alt" boards.

Asher, Torren, Rasta, Bryce, Burch, etc...

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Meanwhile in Ireland they have come up with this.
I felt like I was watching the surfing version of Devil Own. haha.
Pretty cool and interesting series. I bet it will bring attention to Ireland surf scene. That SWEIT board looked really good (the 2nd board). Kinda looked like a nano with a swallow tail. I dig it!!

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
i thought ep 1 was interesting. This was absolutely horrible. Thruster guy who can’t ride anything else. Great surfer, terrible EAST candidate.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I feel like they had a similar problem with Jai Glindeman. These young stars IMO don’t have enough on-screen presence or maturity to warrant a long format piece.

and with Shaun in particular it seems like he just wants to hop on some HPSBs. He doesn’t even seem entertained by the shreddier shapes in this series either.