Pros who were "Cancelled"

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Cancelled is someone like Wardo or Burness - people who did something sh!tty and were dropped/forgotten about.

I don't see someone who had mental issues or a substance abuse problem as being cancelled. MP had a sickness, as did Shane Herring... as did someone like Archy, who had a problem with drug and drink. Although they disappeared, they weren't cancelled per se. Lots of pros fall into this grey area.

What about Matt Branson or Nicky Wood?

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
For a small window there, between Curren and Slater- an argument could be made that Archy was the best surfer in the world.
And it looks like his son Ford is transitioning nicely into the art world.

Some might say that Andrew Doheny got cancelled, but he also had personal hiccups along the way, and appears to be doing well flying under the radar and shaping.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Someone mentioned Dane Kealoha. The way he was cancelled hurt Simon Anderson too. When the IPS and Triple Crown had beef about where the tour should finish it ruined both Dane and Simon’s chances at a world title. Dane came into Hawaii with the ratings lead and Simon up near the top. Dane surfed the Triple Crown and was penalized losing points and his best shot at the title. Simon didn’t surf the Triple Crown which were some of his strongest events and lost his chance at a title.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Someone mentioned Dane Kealoha. The way he was cancelled hurt Simon Anderson too. When the IPS and Triple Crown had beef about where the tour should finish it ruined both Dane and Simon’s chances at a world title. Dane came into Hawaii with the ratings lead and Simon up near the top. Dane surfed the Triple Crown and was penalized losing points and his best shot at the title. Simon didn’t surf the Triple Crown which were some of his strongest events and lost his chance at a title.
I remember one big maxed out north swell all the Pros came over to Maui. Dane surfed huge and empty Honolua like childs play

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Cancelled is someone like Wardo or Burness - people who did something sh!tty and were dropped/forgotten about.

I don't see someone who had mental issues or a substance abuse problem as being cancelled. MP had a sickness, as did Shane Herring... as did someone like Archy, who had a problem with drug and drink. Although they disappeared, they weren't cancelled per se. Lots of pros fall into this grey area.

What about Matt Branson or Nicky Wood?
Yeah good point. Wasnt addiction or illness with Nicky Wood but he still kinda got slaughtered on that one- and it was only small time weed or hash possession-like way under an ounce ( or aussie equivalent). Nonetheless, seemed like a career ender even though it was just a party slip kinda bust.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
He's admitted he was running drugs on the North Shore and paid the price.
I saw Rico a few weeks ago. His niece was over from Kauai for States and he came out to get her a couple of waves. He told her to introduce herself to the boys and we got her a couple of sets. She’s young for her age bracket, not sure how many heats she made.

Rico and some partners were running a CrossFit type gym before Covid. Not sure if that survived. But he just had a kid and was making custom furniture and cabinets with another ripper I know.

I see a few of the surfers mentioned in this thread surfing my town or NS regular. They may have been cancelled or just too old for contests and the industry but they still surf.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I saw Rico a few weeks ago. His niece was over from Kauai for States and he came out to get her a couple of waves. He told her to introduce herself to the boys and we got her a couple of sets. She’s young for her age bracket, not sure how many heats she made.

Rico and some partners were running a CrossFit type gym before Covid. Not sure if that survived. But he just had a kid and was making custom furniture and cabinets with another ripper I know.

I see a few of the surfers mentioned in this thread surfing my town or NS regular. They may have been cancelled or just too old for contests and the industry but they still surf.
Rico was building custom saunas for folks last I saw him, really nice ones. Regardless of what he did, he has always been a really friendly funny guy.

Reactions: dunnc and teeroi