Pros who were "Cancelled"

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
Bad guys maybe not cancalled but crappy attitudes: Ritchie Collins
Martin Potter
What happened w/ Martin Potter? For about 5 years straight Joe Turpel was saying the words "1989 World Champion Martin Potter..." then all of a sudden, poof. Not even a word of him was spoken. He's the Mark Brandanowitz of surfing.

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
green and ellis refused to paddle out at waimea. later! i wonder where mike lambresi is these days, frohoff, kong, so many old body glove and aussie dudes from the 80's. it's like they never existed to joe turpel and whoever else is in the booth having to listen to his crap.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
green and ellis refused to paddle out at waimea. later! i wonder where mike lambresi is these days, frohoff, kong, so many old body glove and aussie dudes from the 80's. it's like they never existed to joe turpel and whoever else is in the booth having to listen to his crap.
Frohoff is a fireman/lifeguard in SoCal.
Kong is a has been who goes around like Uncle Rico talking about his glory days from 40 years ago and how things might have been different for him if it wasn't for Slater and Momentum.
Don't know about Lambresi, but most of the South Bay Body Glove guys are still local.

Reactions: keenfish

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Lambresi had a gnarly foot injury recently. Really bad. Check his Instagram if you want to see it.
Looked like he slipped on a seawall or something and sliced off a chunk of his heel.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Saw Lambresi was back on the bodyboard. Think he got into some sort of accident south of the border and had multiple operations for his leg. Think he is standup surfing now.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The greatest announcing team in the history of professional surfing, Spenny and Snake, got utterly cancelled for being too good. The were fvkcing hysterical, drunk, irreverent, potty mouthed, and of course ultimately unacceptable to the powers that be.
They could probably just do their own audio, with like every five minutes them reading off the seconds from the tour webcast, so people could sync up their audio with the tour video. Kind of like in SEC country we'll mute/pause the TV and sync it with the local yokels calling the game for WRUF FM: The sh!t Shovel. Just mute Turdpail and time-match your WSL webcast with the SnakeCast audio.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
The greatest announcing team in the history of professional surfing, Spenny and Snake, got utterly cancelled for being too good. The were fvkcing hysterical, drunk, irreverent, potty mouthed, and of course ultimately unacceptable to the powers that be.
I never understood who Spenneeeey was, but those two were the best ever!

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
This one is a travesty that can be put squarely on the shoulders of dreadful mediocrity Matt George. I knew Cheyne really well during his years here in Bali. Incredibly sweet and thoughtful fellow, but clearly scarred and deeply hurt by that ridiculous article and its subsequent pan surf world blow-back that seemed to drag on forever. In the years I knew him he was a high blooded and adventurous heterosexual player, if he was anything other than that when Matt George wrote the bit of homophobic and scurrilous drivel, who gives a flying fvkc? I personally have my doubts, but that's a meanigless non starter to even pursue.
Used to hang with Cheyne and Robbie Page in Pupukea way back when, a couple of my friends shared a house with Pagey. Cheyne is such a cool funny guy, classic character around town those years he was living on the north shore. Weed mushrooms and plenty of girls.

MG is just too fucking much man, that guy is intense in all the worst ways