Pros who were "Cancelled"

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
We've gotten this far and have not talked about Conan Hayes.
Maybe because being a "stop the steal" guy is not cancellable.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
There’s Sarge that was the top Aussie surf photog that allegedly sexually assaulted another photog and a couple of unidentified pros and got banned from the ASP/WSL.

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
There’s Sarge that was the top Aussie surf photog that allegedly sexually assaulted another photog and a couple of unidentified pros and got banned from the ASP/WSL.
one was one of the Blakey Brothers. Can't remember which

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
We've gotten this far and have not talked about Conan Hayes.
Maybe because being a "stop the steal" guy is not cancellable.
Pretty sure he had a warrant out for mortgage fraud for a long time, then there was that odd profile of him selling budget kid toys out of a warehouse in l.a.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
He must’ve made some money selling his portion of RVCA… he should’ve been set when Bong bought them. Or did his partner PM Tenore strong-arm him like Suge Knight and just make him walk away. LOL. All of a sudden it was Conan was erased from RVCA when he was the face of the brand originally

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I’ve often wondered what all South African surfers' history/engagement was with the apartheid. Too bad we don’t have any actual surfing journalism that would cover this type of thing.
Probably depend on if the surfers were English or Africaner. I was in South Africa for a few months traveling with a SA girl I met in Europe. Stayed with her family and friends in Pretoria and Capetown. This was the early 80's and international pressure was starting to build against apartheid.

The family was 'English' and left-leaning. The father was a famous sculptor and the girl was just out of art school as a photographer. They had many house workers as servants and they were treated well. Their stance was that the Blacks were not capable of running the country because of their lack of education. The father was shocked that I flew down on a plane that had black pilots. They never had anything good to say about Africaners and saw them as rednecks.

I was told in the Townships there was no personal property, the chief owned everything. There was no work for the Blacks. At all the gas stations there was a guy to check each tire, one each for the front and back window to wash, one to pump the gas, and another guy to jump up and down on the back of the car to get the air bubbles out of the tank so you can get more gas in. So when you stop for gas a dozen guys would come out of nowhere to run to get to your car.
Scared the sht out of me first time.

In retrospect, the girl and her friends never did or said anything that would be considered racist, even by today's standards. But they were not happy the world was leaning on their country and they had no answers concerning apartheid.

Would be a good book for Shaun Tomson, since he is such an author now:oops:

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
i thought mick fanning was cancelled but everyone seems to like him again

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
i traveled Europe w/a SAfrican who had just completed mandatory conscription
and had the shrapnel scars to prove it. He liked surfing much more than warfare
or apartheid. tough passport to carry i remember...:alien: