paddling fatigue

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
depends on what/who you are comparing them to.

compared to linebackers or bodybuilders, no.
compared to a surfer who is a desk jockey/cube monkey, probably.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
you think Medina and Fanning are string beans?

Florence?

They're more like classic middleweights. Even UFC middleweights, or close enough.
No. Not even close. Ufc middleweight class is 185lbs. at weigh in.

These guys step into the cage at around 200 or more.

And JJF doesn’t train anywhere close to as hard as fighters. Neither did Fanning in his prime.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I fully agree with you. What kicked this off was talking about "extra muscle mass". The top level surfers we're talking about are nowhere near having extra muscle mass.
Best thing that 99% of surfers can do to surf better, longer and catch more waves is lose weight. Period.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Best thing that 99% of surfers can do to surf better, longer and catch more waves is lose weight. Period.
Best thing most people in the first world can do these days.

Can’t see the harm in some light weight training for the rec surfer. I do a bit, nothing too crazy. Isn’t it supposed to increase your metabolism, which in turn helps you lose weight?

Reactions: hal9000

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Have a next door neighbor his is a full on oareo. Been surfing since 1974. How can you degenerate to the point to hold an oar???

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
don't drink and think about sup-ing?

I've never seen an sup at dawn patrol, which says something methinks

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
yes and no. I think Americans tend to be fatter and in poorer shape, generally speaking.
most of the crew I know are in shape.

changing body fat %, ie getting stronger, exchanging some fat for muscle, whatever weight you are might be more important than getting lighter per se.

all depends.

I'll tell you where my thinking comes from.

I used to basically train cardio/endurance, or whatever. swimming, bit of running, bike riding etc etc.

then I met Jan Carlton, who runs a CHEK training thing and got Fanning back into shape after he tore the hamstring off the bone in 2006/7.
She told me that surfers, even ones who surfed a lot and were ostensibly "fit" were weak and that a lack of strength in key areas was a structural problem and people who trained and resolved those weaknesses would massively benefit.

which Fanning did.

I took years to take that advice, wish I did sooner.

I'm the same weight I was then, same weight I was when I was 19, but heaps stronger now and surf better.

Reactions: bigglesworth

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
changing body fat %, ie getting stronger, exchanging some fat for muscle, whatever weight you are might be more important than getting lighter per se.
Agreed, I put on a bit of muscle in the last 2 years, I feel like I'm surfing better.

I get cold in the winter more easily though. Not sure if it's less insulation or the longer sessions.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Best thing most people in the first world can do these days.

Can’t see the harm in some light weight training for the rec surfer. I do a bit, nothing too crazy. Isn’t it supposed to increase your metabolism, which in turn helps you lose weight?
Eating less is how you lose weight.

Reactions: Havoc

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Eating less is how you lose weight.
Building more muscle mass also allows you to eat more without gaining fat, or weight if you keep your calories in balance.

People conflate fat loss with weight loss far too often. Oftentimes when people lose weight without some form of strength training, or at least some form of strenuous activity that sends a signal to maintain muscle mass, they tend to lose just as much muscle as they do fat. They just end up a smaller version of their fatter self.

Reactions: Havoc

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
How much is extra?

Replacing fat with muscle that makes you stronger is good.
I pulled my stat from google, not sure how accurare it is.

But, basically, yeah, can’t hurt to replace fat with muscle, while getting to healthy bmi