paddling fatigue

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I havent been able to squat for about 2 years now after a bad fall at the skatepark. Having extra muscle never helped me surf anyways. Even if it was somehow helping paddle, the extra weight was a hindrance for getting barreled.
Building up extra muscle mass really is not a good approach for improving your surfing. Building up your stamina is better. Some of the absolute best surfers I have known are just skinny, little stringbeans.

Reactions: surfysurfy1476

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
yeah, but nah.

surf with either Mick Fanning, Parko or Medina, or even JJF versus someone with weak legs/core then get back to me.

most rec surfers are weak and do weak turns.

when you see a strong, trained really good surfer do strong turns and compare it, even to a competent surfer who doesn't train (genetic freaks like Occy excepted), the difference is night and day.
it really is.

Stamina?

what does that even mean? It might get you more waves, probably not. It certainly won't do jack sh!t for you once up and riding.

Reactions: Havoc

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
yeah, but nah.

surf with either Mick Fanning or Medina, or even JJF versus someone with weak legs/core then get back to me.

when you see a strong, trained really good surfer do strong turns and compare it, even to a competent surfer who doesn't train (genetic freaks like Occy excepted), the difference is night and day.
it really is.

It's all about the right kind of muscle mass and it doesn't have to be mass. More like the right kind of muscle tone.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
you can build a lot of strength through neural priming, as Autoprax suggested.
but you got to put the volume in, the time under tension, to get the response.

I doubt you could eat enough food to get massive and still surf.

too much commitment required.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
The crux with surfing is that you need to be able to preform for hours, not just minutes.

You have these peak periods of energy expenditure paddling into waves, catching waves and paddling back out. But its so fickle. You could paddle right back out into the fray or you could paddle back out and sit for 1/2 an hour before you do it again. Then you have to deal with the cramps, possible body core cooling while in between sets.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
yeah, but nah.

surf with either Mick Fanning, Parko or Medina, or even JJF versus someone with weak legs/core then get back to me.

it really is.

Stamina?

what does that even mean? It might get you more waves, probably not. It certainly won't do jack sh!t for you once up and riding.
Medina is 5'11 170
Mick 5'11 165
JJF 6'1 168

What are you talking about?

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
The part where you said "nah" in response to "Building up extra muscle mass really is not a good approach for improving your surfing. Building up your stamina is better. Some of the absolute best surfers I have known are just skinny, little stringbeans. " and then proceeded to use string beans as your example.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Dude. The thing you are promoting is a full on pro vs what we all are.
What hes promoting doesnt even make sense. All the guys he listed are very skinny and lean. Not even a 180 pounder on the list. Id bet the house that JJF and Nathan cant bench their body weight for 20 reps.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
These guys do it for a living.

Yes, they are cool, bow down. But in the day to day world of surfing, like you and me, We still hold our own without daily trips to Golds Gym. We look like those little skinny guys on the beach that the comic books make fun of.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
you think Medina and Fanning are string beans?

Florence?

They're more like classic middleweights. Even UFC middleweights, or close enough.

OK, forget building up muscle mass, just building strength.

Takes less time to build strength than to build stamina.

Which is my point. Instead of taking the time to build stamina, go surfing.

And train for strength.

That make sense?

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
you think Medina and Fanning are string beans?

Florence?

They're more like classic middleweights. Even UFC middleweights, or close enough.

OK, forget building up muscle mass, just building strength.

Takes less time to build strength than to build stamina.

Which is my point. Instead of taking the time to build stamina, go surfing.

And train for strength.

That make sense?
I fully agree with you. What kicked this off was talking about "extra muscle mass". The top level surfers we're talking about are nowhere near having extra muscle mass.