*** Official Hurley Pro Sunset Beach Contest Thread ***

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
Can't believe they are now running the women's semis. It's horrible.:foreheadslap:

*I guess they called it off..... someone has some sense*

Last edited:
Reactions: SirenOfShred

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
They get paid the same as the men. Paid to surf is better than what any of us do for a living.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
That was awful. I hope they only did that to allow for one final day of surfing when it's decent.

I've seen Sunset Point and Val's Reef events before, and recall someone even won going left at Sunset not too long ago, but...

To force them to surf for their jobs in that crap was horrific. I mean, "In my opinion...."

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
refused to watch it today, like bad beachbreak.
Strider yesterday? Sounded like he was trying out for a game show host job, and did a line or two ahead of time. So now neck and neck on the annoyance scale with Kaipo's non-stop grammatical lessons on everything Hawaiian. First place, of course, remains with Turpel the Human White Noise Machine. I've heard bee's nests drone less.

corndog

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2004
But that Megan .... looks like she is mad as hell at just about everything. future serial killer?

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Megan is a great surfer, but she has to increase her adjective count. "Look at that beautiful turn. He hit that and then got a beautiful barrel at the end. Beautiful wave."

Total number of adjective opportunities: 3

Total number of adjectives used: 1

Someone gift that woman a thesaurus.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Megan is a great surfer, but she has to increase her adjective count. "Look at that beautiful turn. He hit that and then got a beautiful barrel at the end. Beautiful wave."

Total number of adjective opportunities: 3

Total number of adjectives used: 1

Someone gift that woman a thesaurus.
I know what the WSL is trying to do.......they're trying to hire local people. Saves them money, good for their image, ect......

However, Megan isn't ready for prime time commentating.

There's a long list of people who would have been better......Makua Rothman has surprised me lately as someone who's actually pretty good on the mic and provides some really good local insight. Kai Lenny was great the other day. Ross is amazing and should be paid whatever he wants to commentate every contest.

Perhaps they needed a female voice?? Bethany Hamilton? :roflmao:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Strider "that was a crazy drop and bottom turn, and look at that savage turn off the top, OMG what an insane cutback, and I'm losing my mind on that closing floater!"
Judges for that ride - 3.7
That's what he's getting paid for. That's what they're all getting paid for. Surfers, coaches, caddies, the broadcast team, the guys that build the board racks, put up the facilities.

"Everybody has a share"!

Reactions: sh3

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I like strider and his puppy dog energy. In small doses, of course. I like Pete Mel too. Dude knows some stuff and seems genuinely interested in the equipment and whatnot. Plus, he's not afraid to have his own opinion and doesn't seem desperate to please the bosses like Kaipo and Turpel.

Ross is/was the gold standard for me.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
I cant belive I am writing it but I like Makua on the mic. I have always considered him to be a bit of a doorknob, particularly with his singing career. He is thoughtful, professional and unafraid of saying it straight. Almost no white noise with the guy. Him and Ross can do no wrong.

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
. I like Pete Mel too.
during 90's when he was on the Tour, the Margret's River contest had just ended when Pete saw a Brazzo (well known for his temper) who had lost his heat earlier in the day yelling and getting heavy handed with his girl in the parking lot, so Pete ran over and told the punk to knock it off. When the Brazzo responded by trying to throw a kick, Pete picked him up and body slammed him into the nearest car.
So off it popped - Brazzo crew rushing over to mob Pete, locals rushing over to side with Pete, led by enforcer John Taggert, a former Aussie pro footballer, who made it really clear to the Brazzos "fuk off and be out of Margie's tommorrow, or it's on." The next morning a caravan of Brazzo rental cars departed town for the Perth airport.
Got the story when I arrived in Margie's for a month long hang with a friend, one of the locals who'd been in the mix. Pete's a stand up dude, no matter where he goes, or what he does. Just like his Pop.