*** Official Hurley Pro Sunset Beach Contest Thread ***

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Is sunset shallow? I always thought it was deeper water but these announcers keep saying how shallow it is. Then you see someone kick out of a wave and it looks like the water’s over their head.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Usually not the biggest fan but caroline marks style really fits sunset, grunty as fuck.

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
Griffin's first wave of the finals was sick, but how do you actually judge it? Like, it's crazy impressive that he can stick that landing. But is it a good turn? Makes me think of an outfielder making an insane diving catch because he took a bad route to the ball (man, I miss Matt Kemp).

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Griffin's first wave of the finals was sick, but how do you actually judge it? Like, it's crazy impressive that he can stick that landing. But is it a good turn? Makes me think of an outfielder making an insane diving catch because he took a bad route to the ball (man, I miss Matt Kemp).
There should not have been that big of a separation......if any.....between the two scores on the opening exchange.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
Toledo deserved that. He surfed well. Griffin seems like he's in a good headspace. He's going to be a problem for some people this year.

Great event. Forecast was sh!t but Sunset delivered.

• Dislike
Reactions: noone999

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
Is sunset shallow? I always thought it was deeper water but these announcers keep saying how shallow it is. Then you see someone kick out of a wave and it looks like the water’s over their head.
The closer you get to the point on a smaller day like today, the shallower it gets.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Never having been to Hawaii, but having hosted a Hawaiian back when I surf guided and did surf bnb here at home, this fellow mentioned how my local I most frequently surf reminded him of Sunset Beach. From the few waves I saw in the clips posted above, I have no idea what he was talking about. Unless, this contest was less than epic conditions.

:shrug::waving::shaka: