*** Official Hurley Pro Sunset Beach Contest Thread ***

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
You think they'll just bang the entire contest out at the beginning of the waiting period?

Will they run during the swell this Wed and Thurs despite the wind?

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
You think they'll just bang the entire contest out at the beginning of the waiting period?

Will they run during the swell this Wed and Thurs despite the wind?
Don't know the really long term forecast but looks like medium swell (at best) with windy conditions through the week. All I know is they have around five days of competition to get through.

Reactions: jkb and vanrysss

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Seems like I havent seen much footage of classic sunset where it has that inside outside peak and hollow inside bowl..what does it need to break like that, bigger? different angle? Seems like every contest takes place in these conditions - two turns til it flattens out

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Seems like I havent seen much footage of classic sunset where it has that inside outside peak and hollow inside bowl..what does it need to break like that, bigger? different angle? Seems like every contest takes place in these conditions - two turns til it flattens out
Last year they were only riding the last 3rd of the wave so that is what they filmed.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
It's small today so that's pretty much the wave

When it gets bigger, guys these days ride really small boards and to be honest, most of them don't take off out the back, they are surfing the end of the wave

John Florence just pulled a pretty magical barrel ride and two textbook Sunset turns on the next wave and for some reason, the judges won't crack a 9 for him

That barrel wave should have been a 9.5

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
It's small today so that's pretty much the wave

When it gets bigger, guys these days ride really small boards and to be honest, most of them don't take off out the back, they are surfing the end of the wave

John Florence just pulled a pretty magical barrel ride and two textbook Sunset turns on the next wave and for some reason, the judges won't crack a 9 for him

That barrel wave should have been a 9.5
What size boards are the pros on? And ordinary mortals?

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
I have done a 180 on Joao Chianca. He rips.

@One-Off, JJF was on a 6'2". The biggest board I saw was Jackson Bakers 6'6". Regular schmucks like most of us here would have been on something in the 8 - 9" dept. My good amigo over there rides a 10'0" pretty regularly at that size Sunset..

• Wow
Reactions: One-Off