***Official FIRES thread***

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Alpine lakes I posted in the backpacking thread were torched over the last few days. One of my favorite Cascadian wilderness areas and I've been into a lot of them over the years.

We've been lucky here last few days, smoke not bad at all. Coast is clear as well. Wind changes tomorrow and we will probably get smoke from the south, but for the big picture its a good thing switching to more of an onshore flow.

Where do you guys draw the line as far as surfing and air quality goes? Currently a red flag warning, but it seems to be clear. Winds are offshore and there's a little combo swell running. Prob nothing epic, maybe CH max, but tidy lil nugs with offshores. These conditions are when what we call the "the randos" come online and after a stupid crowded summer what we kinda live for.

• Sad
Reactions: Mr Doof and TheEl

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
holy sh!t...Lake Mary Campgrounds burned?!?!?!?

we have had family camping trip their every year for 20 years....my Mimi will be so upset to hear about this
Yes it should be noted that Mammoth Pool is different than Mammoth Lakes.

Reactions: afoaf

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
It's 9am in SF. It's dark, orange, and people are driving with their headlights on. Creepy.
At 1 PM, seems just the same as 9 AM...still no smokey smell in the air.

This is our house (at 1 PM) without the flash setting on, 400 ISO and 1/8 second at 3.5F.

1599682574518.png

With autoflash settings the sky gets red, but you can see some of the fog reflecting and the Princess Tree purple flowers show true

1599682555404.png

Our cat is a bit perplexed, the birds silent, and the actual light levels seem to wax and wane…right now seems a smidge darker than 30 minutes ago…probably just another lump of thick fog pulsing over us

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Mammoth Pool is on the western side of the Sierras, and Mammoth Lakes is on the Eastern side of the Sierras.

Mammoth Pool in relation to Mammoth Mountain. Everything showing in the photo on all sides of Mammoth Pool has been burned to the ground.

They are at McCreary Meadow right now which is to the left of those two big granite domes that look like a big pair of boobies, located on left edge of photo.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Mr Doof

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
My brother in law lives in Willits and had to evacuate 2 days ago due to the Oak Fire. Luckily, he and his wife had time to load their prized possessions into their new trailer and escape to the evacuation center with their dog. The bad news, he just filed papers for divorce a few days ago. Now they have to stay in a trailer together, going through a divorce and praying the fire doesn't burn their house down. :foreheadslap:

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Big Sur fire doubled in size last night to 74k acres

14 firefighters injured. The fire station at the top of Nacamiento road burned.

• Sad
Reactions: afoaf and TheEl

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Defensible space, maybe some access to water, hose lines, etc will increase your chances they will stick around and save your home.
my dad always told me to measure the distance to the nearest fire hydrant before buying a home. That measurement will be used by the insurance adjusters to calculate the odds of your house being saved during a fire storm and whether or not they’ll provide coverage.

hydrant right out front is the best.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
my dad always told me to measure the distance to the nearest fire hydrant before buying a home. That measurement will be used by the insurance adjusters to calculate the odds of your house being saved during a fire storm and whether or not they’ll provide coverage.

We are on a private well. If the power goes out the well is out. We do have a couple of generators now thanks to PG&E and their ongoing games.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

please repost here:

Reactions: Aruka

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Gavin Haircut says this is all because of man made climate change. Definitely not the mismanagement of funds and resources in a state that's been liberal for...ever. It's those republican climate change deniers. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: just like how we're in this covid stalemate due to people who won't wear masks or social distance, not because we have a statewide healthcare system built for the population of new hampshire, despite several decades of opportunities to make it better.