Official ***Wisdom that my Dad taught me thread ***

groggylbc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 15, 2006
"if someone disrespects you once, remember it....if they disrespect you again, punch them in the mouth...They will remember that!!!"

Reactions: afoaf

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
6 years old, he taught me how to punch a bully with the specific intent of breaking his nose.
I learned to not be ashamed by that which I cannot change, or didn't cause, by example. He was not born here, and not particularly welcomed.
My mother's family has been here close to 400 years, and he navigated those waters honorably. He was a talented golfer and card player. A pinball wizard, artist, musician and salesman. He spoke his mind eloquently and held his head high.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
If you have the hiccups:

Hold your breath for a minute.

If that doesn't work, hold it for two.

If that doesn't work, hold it until you pass out and then your hiccups will definitely be good.

___

Now, this sounds shallow on the face of it but this was GREAT breathe holding training in hindsight. Especially when that f*cker Rich Corso (B5F name dropping in effect) would fire water polo balls at our heads when we came up prematurely on tigers (head-up fly down, underwater back, 50 sec intervals).

And hey, still holds true 4 decades later. Had hiccups, swigged a beer on the inhale and held breath for 2 and change and hiccups gone. Good to still have it.

Reactions: stringcheese

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
If you have the hiccups:

If that doesn't work, hold it until you pass out and then your hiccups will definitely be good.

___

Now, this sounds shallow on the face of it but this was GREAT breathe holding training in hindsight. Especially when that f*cker Rich Corso (B5F name dropping in effect) would fire water polo balls at our heads when we came up prematurely on tigers (head-up fly down, underwater back, 50 sec intervals).

And hey, still holds true 4 decades later. Had hiccups, swigged a beer on the inhale and held breath for 2 and change and hiccups gone. Good to still have it.

Step up and own your sh!t like a man.

We grew up and lived out in the country. No Video games. My mom was the local 2nd grade school teacher. 3 TV channels. The Belt. Looking back, we earned it.

Dad was a Nuclear engineer. He was posted at Moss Landing. He did the control systems for Humbolt. Not many people realise that that big, square building in the harbor is a mothballed nuclear reactor.

Diablo. He was the control systems guy. That was 40 years ago. Diablo is pushing its service life.

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
If you have the hiccups:

___

I do this too. Fvcking hate hiccups. Anything on nitro? No, how about just flat?
If you hold you breath 2min+ in front of a bar crowd, you'll get asked questions. While you are holding your breath.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
If you have the hiccups:

___

Glass of water, 12 Oz minimum.

Inhale deep then exhale everything you got plus more.

Hold you nose shut and guzzle the water.

Hiccups gone.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Dad wisdom...

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Stop and smell the roses.

If you get lost, enjoy it.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Not sure if these are appropriate dadisms but things my kids are sick of hearing me say
luck favors the well prepared
hope is not a strategy

and when they were little, I always said this to each of them
always be nice
always tell the truth
always try your hardest
and always tell someone if the pool is unlocked

Hearing those same things every night, they knew what I thought was important

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Another one my kids got sick of me saying, and said it to my 25 year old yesterday
youre responsible for whatever your friends do at while they’re at our house

preempting any claims of “I don’t know who did it, but it wasn’t me”