*** Official Fin Thread ***

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
If I want to add a bit of lift and looseness to a step-up - should I go with bigger or smaller fins? Currently have some medium "control" fiberglass fins in there.

The board design already feels pretty locked in with a good amount of v through the bottom. Wanted to add a little spark when it's not quite thumping.
Yeah, Smaller center fin is an erBB classic to loosen up.
When you say your fins are control, i asume you mean:
https://futuresfins.com/pages/control
If they are too stiff, it sounds to me like you want a different construction, something more like techflex or even honeycomb.
From the Techflex description:
“This engineered flex creates a vertical flex pattern, which enables you to maintain control and drive down the line while being lively and free off the lip.”
I like the JJFs for good waves thruster (Med)

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Anyone got a recommendation for a single fin for a fairly traditional 9'6" longboard? possibly going to grab one of Stamps personal Bridge or Hobo's on my way through california and I'm not sure they'll come with have a fin so to be safe I feel like I should buy one. i'm like 180 lbs. and want the board for cruising on micro peelers.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Anyone got a recommendation for a single fin for a fairly traditional 9'6" longboard? possibly going to grab one of Stamps personal Bridge or Hobo's on my way through california and I'm not sure they'll come with have a fin so to be safe I feel like I should buy one. i'm like 180 lbs. and want the board for cruising on micro peelers.
Micah was looking for homes for boards. The ones in the photo are probably gone (one is in my living room) but he might want to move some before the holiday doldrums. DM him.
http://instagr.am/p/ChLofm1l7FA/

You could reach out to Travis and the guys at The Surfboard Collective and line something up on your way down.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Thanks Bob. Im already in touch with Tim and hes got a couple boards for me to choose from. He will probably have a fin for me as well but just trying to figure out what to get if he doesnt.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Thanks Bob. Im already in touch with Tim and hes got a couple boards for me to choose from. He will probably have a fin for me as well but just trying to figure out what to get if he doesnt.

oooooh. I misread and thought you were looking for a single fin, not a fin for a single fin.

Yeah, hard to go wrong with a Greenough 4a to start with.
They're pretty easy to find.
You can go other directions, but it's never a bad call. 8-9"
You could definitely grab something with more base if you're riding a noserider as well.
Someone should have one in stock nearby.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
oooooh. I misread and thought you were looking for a single fin, not a fin for a single fin.

You could definitely grab something with more base if you're riding a noserider as well.
Thanks thats very helpful. I dunno much about longboards.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA

4A works in all big boards from kids to LBs. Safe bet especially for a non LBer like ruka.

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
TA California Classic is a great all around LB fin. I’ve used a 9“ in various LBs (9’ Takayama ITP up to a heavy 9’6” log) in Baja and it works just fine. Easy to turn, trims, and nose rides…does it all. Farberow Flex and Velzy noserider are in my rotation as well but those fins are bit more nuanced for specific LBs I own.
4A is awesome as well.
Have a blast down there :shaka:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
@Aruka wut fins are similar to the fascinations?

piggyback or other semi keels close?
Mmm. Piggyback are similar in size but overall are a bit different. Everything is packed up in the camper right now so I cant compare them directly. Piggyback still kinda surf like a keel even though they are looser than most other keels.

The Album x Alkali purple twins are very similar to the fascination.

I like them both but maybe give a slight edge to the fascination because they have a finer foil. The cant angles might be different too i cant remember.

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
kinda want to try these in my banjo

Reactions: MathDebater

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Are the machado templates the same between fcs and futures, specifically the keels?

Base/height numbers for the keels on the fcs site seem wrong.