*** Official Fin Thread ***

MACSAN

Nep status
Sep 5, 2009
Anyone on the 160-pound range use Futures F4 fins? Did you like them? Found them too small?

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
no way bra, I have no problem cross-pollinating boars and fins. maybe I'll even get a set of these for my RNF96:

edit: actually this looks fun. sigh. I have A.D.D....
1670004408994.png1670004413373.png1670004418656.png

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
IMG_2019.jpeg

First time out with the C-Drives. Waves chest to occasional hh long period sets. Off-shore wind glassy conditions. Cold AF

Different is an understatement. Kinda bewildered.

Instant speed.
Board gets into waves easier(maybe my imagination)
More forward projection than any fin I have had.
Bottom turns you can not feel the fins at all; all you feel is more speed.
Very sensitive to foot placement.
A ton of lift.
Never felt squirrely.

Waves:
One late takeoff on a wall jammed the backfoot down, and the fins grabbed the wall and sharply projected my along the closeout..
A set wave bowled up nicely all the way to the inside. The board felt like it was hovering in the bowly pocket. Flick it and go up to hit the lip, come back down and repeat.Never felt the fins. Never felt out of control. Almost like sliding on ice but could change direction.
Easy to make it around sections and the flats.

I did not figure out how to put it on rail, except on bottom turns. It was almost as if it was going too fast to hold the rail.

They are interesting and definitely make uncritical waves more exciting. I want to try them in my 7'2, but I really have no idea what it will be like on waves of consequence.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
no way bra, I have no problem cross-pollinating boars and fins. maybe I'll even get a set of these for my RNF96:

edit: actually this looks fun. sigh. I have A.D.D....
View attachment 143110View attachment 143111View attachment 143112
i have a set if u wanna buy em

Nov 21, 2022
Getting a set of fins for a custom version of this attached board. 182 lbs with gear on. Board is intended for shoulder-DOH. I ride futures, need fin recommendations. I don't like fiberglass or alpha/netplus construction. Honeycomb is ideal for me

1. Should I go medium or large fin size? I have old medium v2 blacstix 2.0 and they're like 4.5 base X 4.6 or so depth, but I have felt them slide out

I am considering the AM1s/AM2s in honeycomb, the Jordy (M/L) in Honeycomb, the Captain CF model but open to peoples suggestions as I am an absolute newb when it comes to fins. I want some rake and slightly larger fin base, without crazy large fin depth if that makes sense. Thanks everyone

IMG_2276.PNG

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Getting a set of fins for a custom version of this attached board. 182 lbs with gear on. Board is intended for shoulder-DOH. I ride futures, need fin recommendations. I don't like fiberglass or alpha/netplus construction. Honeycomb is ideal for me

1. Should I go medium or large fin size? I have old medium v2 blacstix 2.0 and they're like 4.5 base X 4.6 or so depth, but I have felt them slide out

I am considering the AM1s/AM2s in honeycomb, the Jordy (M/L) in Honeycomb, the Captain CF model but open to peoples suggestions as I am an absolute newb when it comes to fins. I want some rake and slightly larger fin base, without crazy large fin depth if that makes sense. Thanks everyone

View attachment 143268
I would go L sized fins at 182 lbs. AM2's are a big fin with a lot of rake so they will feel like a lot of fin coming off of M Blackstix. I would probably not recommend them for a normal HPSB at your weight. If you were 200 lbs. I would say AM2 all day. I'm a similar size like 180lbs. and my favorite fins in most HPSB's are the DHD L. They are a little smaller than AM2's but still have a bit of rake so they have good drive but they are just a little looser and easier to throw around. The Jordy L are also a little smaller than the AM2's so if you are still inclined towards the AM2's I would recommend those instead. If you surf mostly beachbreak's I'd get something more upright like the TP1's or Captain Fin Dane L fins. Both of those will be looser and more pivotal than the more raked DHD/AM/Jordy fins. There are many options that would probably work and if I was more familiar with the R2 model I could probably give you a better suggestion but I would just say, since you are not super heavy and the R2 doesn't have a wide tail or (according to the description) a ton of rocker, that you should be looking for something that isn't too massive.

Nov 21, 2022
I would go L sized fins at 182 lbs. AM2's are a big fin with a lot of rake so they will feel like a lot of fin coming off of M Blackstix. I would probably not recommend them for a normal HPSB at your weight. If you were 200 lbs. I would say AM2 all day. I'm a similar size like 180lbs. and my favorite fins in most HPSB's are the DHD L. They are a little smaller than AM2's but still have a bit of rake so they have good drive but they are just a little looser and easier to throw around. The Jordy L are also a little smaller than the AM2's so if you are still inclined towards the AM2's I would recommend those instead. If you surf mostly beachbreak's I'd get something more upright like the TP1's or Captain Fin Dane L fins. Both of those will be looser and more pivotal than the more raked DHD/AM/Jordy fins. There are many options that would probably work and if I was more familiar with the R2 model I could probably give you a better suggestion but I would just say, since you are not super heavy and the R2 doesn't have a wide tail or (according to the description) a ton of rocker, that you should be looking for something that isn't too massive.

Super helpful. The R2 model is actually somewhat similar to their marzos mix model that just came out. The shaper told me the nose rockers are the same (higher end of moderate I'd say) but theres a little extra flip in the tail rocker of the marzos mix, which I did not buy for that reason.

I surf the North East US where a lot of our waves are big drop followed by a flat section connecting to another section walling up - in other words, aggressive tail rocker doesn't help me connect the dots for a nice wave in my experience, unless it's super lined up which is rare here with wind patterns.

I would say 70% of the time in the shoulder high-DOH range I'm surfing a beach break and 30% point or cobblestone/reef bottom type break similar to a trestles type wave if that helps any more.

LMK if you have any other recommendations otherwise much appreciated!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Super helpful. The R2 model is actually somewhat similar to their marzos mix model that just came out. The shaper told me the nose rockers are the same (higher end of moderate I'd say) but theres a little extra flip in the tail rocker of the marzos mix, which I did not buy for that reason.

I surf the North East US where a lot of our waves are big drop followed by a flat section connecting to another section walling up - in other words, aggressive tail rocker doesn't help me connect the dots for a nice wave in my experience, unless it's super lined up which is rare here with wind patterns.

I would say 70% of the time in the shoulder high-DOH range I'm surfing a beach break and 30% point or cobblestone/reef bottom type break similar to a trestles type wave if that helps any more.

LMK if you have any other recommendations otherwise much appreciated!
If you are in contact with the guys at Chemistry I'd email them with your height/weight, the waves you are surfing and see if they have any recommendations. With a popular model like that probably have a go to fin or at least a general recommendation as far as a more raked or upright fin.

Nov 21, 2022
If you are in contact with the guys at Chemistry I'd email them with your height/weight, the waves you are surfing and see if they have any recommendations. With a popular model like that probably have a go to fin or at least a general recommendation as far as a more raked or upright fin.
You would think...I tried bringing it up...I don't think they like to get into the whole recommending fins thing which I can respect because fins are so personal. Thing is I don't have the leisure to be buying and testing out fins...wish that Finatic site was still a thing

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
You would think...I tried bringing it up...I don't think they like to get into the whole recommending fins thing which I can respect because fins are so personal. Thing is I don't have the leisure to be buying and testing out fins...wish that Finatic site was still a thing
I feel you. There are a couple good sets of Futures for sale in the classifieds that would save you some bucks. I've had good luck buying fins on here and both of these guys are long time members.

Roberts Tri

Coffin M or Lost L

Reactions: Swallow Tail

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I’d Get the Roberts in the classified section like Aruka suggested I’m 190. AM2s always feel like too much fin for me in any board, but I’m not a fan of super upright templates either.

The Roberts are money- I have 3 sets of em.

Reactions: Aruka