*** Official 2024 Community Surf Journal ***

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
That's crazy @Sharkbiscuit . Your name doesn't help any.
Fuck that!!! Holy sh!t sketchy
I mean, I know they're always there, but it was overcast in the West, sun dropping, active feeding going down...

In terms of Spidey Sense.... Seeing a spinner launch out the back isn't a big deal. A hurricane swell with the sun high above with 1479231749237498231 people and explosions in the mullet out the back isn't a big deal. A fin farther away happens especially the little ones.

But when the fin has that broad look and it's right on the top of the rip the long period sets are forming up on and it came back and sort of cruised South down the beach after I milked a set and paddled out on an angle, not a big one but not a rat with fins either, and just my imagination most likely but the quasi-territorial vibe of the shark returning to the same rip post-dolphin-drive-by, it just felt all wrong and got into my head.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
G'day mates! I've just launched a free surfing journal app and I'm on the hunt for some honest feedback. I'm keen to find out whether other surfers besides myself find it handy to track your surfing adventures. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The app has three main parts:

- Sessions: This is where you register your surfing sessions, the conditions, rating and self-reflection, among others.
- Quiver: Here you can add the surfboards you own or have tried, so you can refer to these before paddling out.
- Goals: A place to create and track your surfing goals, like wave selection or specific manoeuvres.

Here's the link: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/surflog-improve-your-surfing/id6475609613?ign-itscg=30200&ign-itsct=apps_box_link&platform=iphone

Cheers!
D
Just logged my first sesh.

IMG_7213.jpeg

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
Drove through the lot and no parking,saw a coworker checking it after work, stopped and yelled “you going out?” He says not sure, so I say “give me your spot, I already turned on the jacuzzi”. He hems and haws but then someone pulled out so I parked, put on the wetsuit and got fun waves for an hour and a half. Wind kept crowd down but some fun waves for sure.

Mar 12, 2024
The bitter pill is that that app will not make you money.

Supposedly you can make a few hundred dollars a month selling your plasma. Maybe try that.
EDIT: You are right, it won't make money because it's free

It's on my first mesage

Last edited:

lruc

OTF status
Nov 10, 2016
I expected a dismal PR trip but have surfed every day for the past couple of weeks . A Tres session , excellent Pt at gringo hr on a new Happy Traveler , and fun LB s on the smaller days . 1st wave on the HT was a double overhead screamer , had it for an hr alone to top off a memorable surf .

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Winds shifted last night to side/offshore and it is very clean and beautiful blue sky today.

Reactions: Havoc

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Struck out today.

Made the quick decision to drive to the Queen based on an earlier report, but entirely missed the window. It was wind torn to shreds. Strike one.

Made the command decision to go wing foiling given the significant wind and white caps. Drove back to grab the stuff, noticing the wind seemed less strong. Loaded the gear and headed to Bedwetters...only to find the wind dying on the vine. Two guys out suffering. The wind died. GEEZUS. Nice waste of gas. Strike two.

Couldn't even go logging at Beds because the tide is dropping too fast. That's three strikes.

I'm out.

I think I'll go drinking.

Reactions: Havoc and Maz

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Three swells in the water - new, small 18sec; easing 12sec; leftover NW wind swell - so instead of long point waves there were 500m of left wedges. Good fun if you were in the right spot, but dishing out some beating too.

Didn't get a lot of good ones, but god I needed a surf after some very frustrating and stressful days at work and not enough sleep. Surfing is good for you!

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
mid morning yesterday the wind was blowing offshore pretty good when I paddled out, my 4/3 was wet and cold so I went for the warm/dry 3/2 and actually was pretty cold and stiff after an hour and a half. surfed my favorite reef spot and it was really fun, a little too peaky on some sets but got some long rights and a couple lefts, some late drops with the offshore blowing up the face, best sesssion of the week.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The side/offshores were howling yesterday. I had gone for a run and on the way home was watching the spray off the shoulder high waves blowing twice as high as the wave. Went out and was the only one at a sandbar. Some waves I just had to put my weight well forward , crouch as low as possible just to try and get in and stay in the wave. It was very cool. LIke a little Maalaea fantasy.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Perfect head high waves yesterday ... but howling winds ... got completely blown off one wave ... constant paddling to stay close to the takeoff zone. Paid the price a couple of times trying to cheat a little inside in order to get into the waves .. major upwelling going on i could not feel my fingertips after getting out of the water. April can't come soon enough!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Must’ve just missed the offshores this morning. Was expecting waves to be better at the local reef, but it went from no wind, to side to onshore. Waves were really wonky and tough to connect. Not a clean shoulder in sight. Catching waves was no problem and takeoffs were punchy enough, but gettin more than 1.5-2 turns in before it fizzled out was tough. Still, the used yolo varial cabrón twinsman f-cks pretty hard. my PU was 5'10, so 5’9 + this build = xtra spicy. I don’t love the slightly pre-dented deck from the original owner's feet… but damn, that plus the flat deck felt so locked in, like it was wrapped around my foot.