*** Official 2024 Community Surf Journal ***

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Super nice looking conditions around 4 pm last night, felt like a late September day with the heat and offshores. Beach roads/lots were packed, felt more like HB during the US Open than SF. Despite how nice it looked, I didn’t really luck into any good ones. Most either mushed out to sea or were an unmakeable wall, with a strong southbound current to boot. Hadn’t surfed in a couple week so felt good to get out, but still nursing a tweaked back and was hard to extend my legs/body to pump.

Reactions: Woke AF

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Head high double up shorebreak, going square in knee deep water. The only waves i could find anywhere around that weren’t mushy, weird swell.
you try riding a 6’ mini simmons twin fin in that and see how you go. Stuck some fun drops i had no business making. Made a boogie boarder’s life flash before his eyes.

at this point it’s a game. How many surfs, in how terribly inappropriate waves, with no repairs, before this board breaks?!

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
Usually skip Saturday mornings but a friend called and said lets go, ended up at a spot that had minimal people around and super fun peaks, surfed for two hours on the 5 10 Kenson pleasure pig and got some good turns, floaters, and my first 360 of the year. Fun waves all week.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Sat sunset sesh. Small WH wonky backwashy wedges on the inside reef. 15 dudes out but spread out so I found my spot where sets would swing wide and also darted in/out of the inside to pick off some runners into the shorebreak. Insanity with twin + training wheel went great, given the conditions.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Been outta the water for about a month with a hand injury. Finally figured out a secure way to tape it up, and paddled out this AM at an uncrowded beachbreak on a peak that doubled up from takeoff into a mushy section. Took the new Flare out - FSF! - board handled the drop well and felt really drivey as a quad through the mush. Setup Pyzel larges with blackstix 4.0 rears
IMG_3120.jpeg

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
There's no surf here.

Took the dog for a walk on the beach. Sun was out.

F we are all lucky to live in close proximity to the oceans. ALL OF US. Love this ocean life.
Rode the 11’0 this morning locally. Super sketchy, shallow, rocky. Hit bottom and ground up my brand new 7 inch Greenough 4A. fin was too small anyway. I found the smallest usable size for that board - 7 3/4.

Gonna go the other way now with a 9 inch L-Flex.

Fuck that board is hard to ride.

Waves were absolute crap.

Came home and made chicken mole from scratch. I was at Chapala market when you texted me earlier.

• Love
Reactions: oeste858 and sh3

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Super nice looking conditions around 4 pm last night, felt like a late September day with the heat and offshores. Beach roads/lots were packed, felt more like HB during the US Open than SF. Despite how nice it looked, I didn’t really luck into any good ones. Most either mushed out to sea or were an unmakeable wall, with a strong southbound current to boot. Hadn’t surfed in a couple week so felt good to get out, but still nursing a tweaked back and was hard to extend my legs/body to pump.

Beautiful weekend.
Friday looked heavy with some rewards.
I was dragging my kids around in the shorebreak.

Reactions: tacos

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
just some warbly peaks but better than expected. Bit of a crowd, got hectic at times but there were just enough peaks coming through for most of us. Found a few WH waves that snuck through: some fizzled out quickly, a couple looked like they would close out but stood up and ran, most had a serious dead spot between outside and inside. Some fun sections to smack. Was warm, glassy and sunny then after an hour, got overcast and breezy onshore. Refreshed 5'9 Gremlin (new pad and wax) felt good for most of it, but I struggled once the wind came up and flattened the waves out. Shoulda taken my last decent one in but hung around for one more that took forever as it got more crowded and the waves slowed. My shoulders were also sore from weekend activities. Was warm in 2 mil

Last edited:
Reactions: silentbutdeadly

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Quick sesh around noon today, same zone as Friday.
Pretty fun dumpy double ups. Couple wiggles, found a nice little head dip on one, and also pearled and ate sh!t in the shallows on a double up to keep it interesting. Still babying my back which for some reason made me feel slow to my feet when going backside only. Milked one a little too far in and didn’t feel like paddling back out and called it there.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Had a few fun sessions in the past week or so. One riding the 9-6 Stretch LB at my local. Finally got some side bites for the board and it felt good, a little more straight line speed I think. I was having a lot of fun taking off deep and trimming along some runners on a nice, sunny day.

Today a good friend and I surfed a left reef that improved as the fresh, long interval swell filled in and the tide dropped. Fairly glassy and nice push to the swell, despite being only head high or so. Some long rides to be had and no one else ever showed up which was nice.

Reactions: oeste858

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
0I5A5125-1~2.jpg
0I5A4655~2.jpg

Postcards from the maldives....board is a pyzalien 2, set up as quad (has been swapped for a wills fish since). Had some really fun surfs last week. Couldn't really surf my brains out unfortunately as I had a tonsillitis and was on antibiotics. Tonsillitis no.4 this winter, got to have the fuckers removed....now that I'm better the waves have gone knee to waist high. But the wills fish is keeping stoke levels high, such a fun ride.