*** Official 2024 Community Surf Journal ***

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Fun sesh today on a relatively new 6'10 Von Sol Hyper Glide 2. Big open face rail turns away from the pack. Was able to take off one peak over and drive into the section that most were taking off on. I'm on my shortboard 95% of the time, however this is the best alt-board I've ever ridden. Borderline too reactive. Ridden a ton of different boards and I'm convinced that Sean may offer the best alt boards on the market.

Edit: set up as a twin w/ trailer

motosurf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 19, 2008
Was working up north and snuck a quick session in. Quintessential spring time central coast conditions. Tried to find some reforms. Got a few turns in and got some exercise. Better than nothing.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Some fun lil springtime wedges. Crowd of 10 but everyone pretty spread out. Sets outside were fizzling out after the drop, so went in a bit and snagged some tweeners and insiders that stood up on the low tide reef. Nothin amazing but some fun turns and sections. 6’1 asym quad was good.

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
couple decent days in a row but some sort of funkiness to it that makes most waves hard to surf

Reactions: Havoc

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
It absolutely pumped here this weekend - and I didn't surf. Family visiting and staying the weekend, plus work, so no go. Sure looked pretty, though. 2xOH++.

Snuck out Monday morning to the big sandbar and chased mirages for two hours. Most were just too fast, but I did get a few that were like good Kirra: OH, fast, hollow, heavy, and with a delicious texture that made for very nice chatter. Satisfying after a few months not surfing the place.

Much smaller today, but outer point overdelivered. Two sessions on a bigger board, two barrels, and two that ran all the way to the keyhole (400yds).

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Similar to yesterday , bit bigger but junkier too. Chopped up swell. 7 guys out, 4 of em dickdraggers. While we complain, do bodyboarders love the sectiony spring slop?
Couldn’t find many corners. Got a relatively longer wave through to inside and called it a day.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
While we complain, do bodyboarders love the sectiony spring slop?
Maybe if there's more pitch/throw in the lip than normal, or fewer people than normal that could be a specific explanation. Tamega said he loves blown out stormPipe on account of the crowd reduction. Otherwise, no. Clean face, wedge takeoff, ramp ender kthxbai.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
another funky day, so i walked a few blocks down an empty beach to surf alone. then 3 guys came to surf by me, while the rest of the beach remained empty
started with a minor tube and things were looking good, never got a better shaped wave after that though

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and oeste858

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Surfed tiny onshore outer point today. Looked so miserable when I paddled out, but day off and felt like a paddle. Ended up catching tons of waves and did some little speed squirts down the line on the CC Wolverine. Not bad.

Reactions: oeste858 and Aruka

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
good tide push session this afternoon. The fiji is becoming a favorite.
I dont normally like to kiss and tell but I scored an amazing, and surprising, session at a spot that isn’t really a surf spot. Camping area in clear view of a busy road. Roll in A-frames that stood up to open tubes, head high plus. One other guy at a peak 50 yards away. 2 hours straight, one after another.

Plasmic.

As I said in a text to a guy who posts here…it made no sense. Everywhere else along my drive home was sh!t.

motosurf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 19, 2008
I dont normally like to kiss and tell but I scored an amazing, and surprising, session at a spot that isn’t really a surf spot. Camping area in clear view of a busy road. Roll in A-frames that stood up to open tubes, head high plus. One other guy at a peak 50 yards away. 2 hours straight, one after another.

Plasmic.

As I said in a text to a guy who posts here…it made no sense. Everywhere else along my drive home was sh!t.
Glad you scored, I knew it was a bad day to be stuck in Goleta and having to go home early but I kept telling myself I wasn’t missing much. Have to go what I’m assuming is the opposite direction today but it will probably be a sloppy mess like it was on Monday.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Desperation surf along the Gold Coast at a point with no name. The very occasional set wave came in which was great until Mr. Back Paddle showed up. Three in a row - whereupon I yelled "COME ON!!!" at him. He didn't paddle back out after that one.

Used the new bar of soap and notice one of the glass on fins is coming apart.

All told, sh!t.

I did find a new-to-me leash. Good ProLite in good condition. #winningorlosinghere?