*** Official 2020 Community Surf Journal ***

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
local bar that maximizes minimal swell on the late morning tide push. lully but some fun waist/chest high rights to be had. on the soft side but grovel shortboard with twin+trailer ate it up. positive and fast with clean hits and wrapping turns. gotta get that board in a clean point with soft, rippable walls around that size.

Last edited:

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
bless me mother ocean for i have sinned, it has been one week since i surfed so I headed over to my original place of employment in n county 32 years ago, grabbed the sneaky parking, high tide little longboard waves, warmer than it has been which had been a deterrent this week along with the tiny surf, along with a major project going on at the house. walked up to the beach and an older couple was sitting in chairs and said there isn't much out there, and I said i don't need much, paddled right out into a little left hander that peeled down the beach halfway through i switched stance and did a little floater onto the beach, the guy gave me a thumbs up, was meager as you could get but i am rebaptised....

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
water was down in low 60's again. It's been so schizophrenic the past month.
Couldn't get out til noon, high tide at local reef. 2 logs out, so I sat inside of them and picked off the ones they couldn't get, or the shorter rights when they went left. Reef was still exposed on the inside of the right. Managed 5-6 rides before they went in... and then the NW wind promptly came up and blew it out. Been having a blast on the 5'10" quad minsim. My previous one was so wide that it was tough to get on rail. IMO, Mitsven has really got this type of shape mastered- rails foiled with an edge in the back third so that it really turns (loose but not too slidey like a twin fin version), and I had a couple FS wraps that felt really smooth. I did manage to chip one of the wood front fins on the reef. sad

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Surfed my home made shape this morning. Surf was garbage but I just finished chopping the tail off, re-glassing the new tail design, and installing a leash plug. Happy to say the board rides nicely. Super fast down the line and paddles into waves easily. It was exactly what I was going for when I started out. It has modern keel hybrid fins in the boxes. I need to sand the new tail to a better finish, but it's all done at this point. I let my kids paint the blank before glassing. Learned a lot and will probably try again once this one dies. I used single 6 deck with a foot and tail patch and 6 bottom.

I present the Frankenstein board.

Attachments

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
had fun today,,,soft beach break but was breaking rights and lefts. waist highish...
nobody out. they thought it was gonna be flat. I told them , "no it won't.," and they didn't listen.
even tried a few airs. board went way up high in one direction. i went the other. next one i was like sh!t, lets try to do this sh!t more controlled, and the board didn't go that high.

by chance one of my friends was jogging on the beach. he had so much fun talking sh!t and watching the surf. He saw some small stingrays around. I'm like dude get a board. You can train different swimming in the ocean. He seemed scared as hell, he was like there's no way i'm getting in there.
We are definitely not ocean people here.
8117040A-9110-4E7D-B591-F8D66AFFBD11.pngE30D2261-95C4-44B9-B957-9D32E2377F97.png9908A1A7-F0B2-452B-898E-231BF90610FD.png

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Creek mouth peaks on a coarse sand beach. We have not surfed this spot in over a year. It used to be one of our favorites but for a long time now it has had unfortunate sand bottom formations. Maybe this is the season that it finally comes back (I say this every time after my one decent session per year).

New Album fishy felt great. Got a bunch of lefts and rights which were each fun in their own way. My arms felt kind of weak from lack of use both otherwise my body felt pretty good. This has been a slow month for surf. Today was really the first decent waves we've had since the 4th and it really wasn't anything special but my standards, well I really don't have any at this point. The best thing about today was the water temp has warmed up. It must be at least 54F which means no gloves and no getting cold while sitting, waiting for sets. Felt so good just to be in the water again, I really needed that.

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Fun OH with crazy strong cross/offshore. Bit of extra length was the call just to get into them. I swapped the upright twins out for CC keels for the fast running lefts heading into the wind and they worked a treat. Got a few fun rights down the beach too but it was close to impossible to paddle back against the wind/current.9FBDFEA5-502C-454B-9153-27234F0C0885.jpeg

898EB4A4-C4D4-4AB9-A86A-8A9939AC874B.jpeg

42200765-C1F2-442B-B77A-B9CE6FB3E072.jpeg

Last edited: