*** Official 2020 Community Surf Journal ***

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Surprising amount of swell (ie not flat) but as others have said, damn the water is cold. Lots of peaks but most flattened out, between not surfing much lately and the funky conditions I didn't do anything too exciting but it was still nice to get out in non ultra grovel/log conditions!

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Surfed picked up today to a mighty waist high. Went down to Boulders, caught a handful, at least it was glassy for the nooner. Best action was bottom turn to trim, no bashes today. It was crowded today, there was one other guy out, thankfully he was going left. One wave I had a surf instructor hoot for me, so I proceeded to do a full rear foot slip off for him. I told him it was his fault for hooting at me. The tide peaked, so I went in.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Surprisingly fun this morning. Nothing special, just waist to chest high rights with occasional left wedges. Short period windswell with a small south "pulse" if you want to call it that. But very consistent. Felt a little sluggish, just paddling slow. But still got a lot of waves.

That water was surprisingly chilly. High 50s in July. Nice. :roflmao:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
another day of local windslop in SOLA. Still some peaky waves coming through but had some texture on the surface and was disorganized. Water felt a little cooler and the overcast wasnt helping but still not too bad.

A couple fun cruisers on the Spegg. Had a few run little inside runners and one decent floater that felt good. Not as crowded as yesterday but the majority of surfers seemed like first timers or just started this summer/covid.

Happy to take what I can get right now, forecast is looking pretty bleak.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Surprise am sesh at the local bar

Had a blast for 30 min on the fusebox+jordy fins
One good frintside and backside cover up , two good backside snaps, float the boat left to end section crack .
Winning

Water felt frigid since my last session on forth of July

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Washing my suit out and about to throw my board in the garage...

Well, the good news is that it really wasn't me that was all that sluggish today (well, maybe a little).

Bad news is that one of the fin boxes, which previously had a crack in it towards the tail apparently said no mas and the glass surrounding the box has all but splintered and is very squishy. Sigh... At least there aren't too many waves in the forecast while I get this repaired.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Surfed two evenings ago for the first time since the 4th of July. Peaky, semi sloppy and pretty weak for the size. Fairly consistent chest high sets. The rights were a little fast but managed to keep up with a few and an end section hit. The lefts were a little slower and more shredable but you had to pick the right ones. Water was cold and I forgot my gloves but I stayed busy so didn't really get fully chilled other than my hands which were numb within minutes. Probably surfed for two hours or so and felt pretty beat afterwards. Definitely lost some paddling fitness this summer with the lack of surf which is a bummer but on the plus side my knee felt fine so I think I'm good to go when we finally start to get waves here again.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
holy terrible surf. rode my new shortboard for some odd reason as the waves went from bad to nearly unrideable by the end of the session. one bright spot - i noticed my fins perfectly match the blue on the board. that made me feel better.
First and only time I’ve ever tried to dawn patrol with a new shortboard led to very similar results.

Reactions: MathDebater

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Dawned the regular. The forecast called for a bump but it was smaller than yesterday. But the waves were still clean and fun. Rode the twin fin again. That board is fun, fast and gets on rail easy. I did slide out on my last wave and had to go for a pretty far swim. Got a roll in to a nice bowly section and saw this kooky long boarder on the shoulder and just pushed as hard hard as I could to spray him. Slid out and went swimming. Hahaha

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
fun lil waves today clean glassy. von sold mantra saved the day. got a full fs wrap and a clean long floater with that double bounce on the drop. sum du saw my last wave and asked me about my boar. best gravel boar in my quiver. sbd’s paddle came in handy on the small insiders where i used it to swat the kooks outta the way.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Dawned the regular. Small and clean like yesterday. Couple more randoms besides the dawn patrol crew. First wave I told Malvin I got it already and just as I was standing up one of the random starts paddling I hoot him off and he goes over the falls. I had to straighten out while I hear my friends laughing. He was a big dark guy who didn’t know how to surf. He immediately apologizes. I just shake my head and paddle back out. The crew is still chuckling. They point to the big guy and he’s paddling in. What did you say to him? I told the crew he’s a big dude I just told him brah, that’s not how. Guessing he was embarrassed by what he did and hearing everyone laughing. Ironically they were laughing at me for pulling priority and get burned like that.

Got a couple nice ones after that and fell in a little tube. My twin fin popped up ten yards away. I sprinted for it but the next wave got it just as I touched the tail. I was bushed from that sprint. My cardio sucks, need to skate again. Long swim in and Uncle T had got my board and we paddled in together. 4 waves in an hour and they were all exciting in one way or another. Haha