Minimal Quiver: 4 Boards Max

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
5'6" Xanadu WR
(Twin Keel, knee to headhigh, for clean long lines and mixing it up/getting my glide on)

5'10" XTR Pyzel Gremlin
(Machado twin+1's, knee to chest, for those sub par small days.)

6' XTR Pyzel Shadow
(Thruster, waist to a little overhead. Board works well in textured, average, or good days for me)

6'3" Pyzel Ghost
(Thruster, Chest to near double, when I need more paddling power/steep takeoff confidence, knives in and stays glued to face)

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
So, basically all my boards:

7'0 Mockayama Howard Mini Clone- been riding alot and loving

5'6 Thai made Hypto- works great in waist to overhead beach break when it's too steep for the egg

6'0 Pyzel Ghost that I haven't really ridden yet. might get sold as I'm kinda over regular short boardy boards

6'8 1990s Aloha step up that I ride once every 4 years when it's bombing, Ghost was meant to replace it but remains to be seen

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
for me
1. von sold mantra: still magic after all these years. makes you a hero in small waves

2. Superbrand Fling: what more can i say. best hp gravel boar. ride as a thrusty for max shreddage.

3. Stamps shadow. best daily driver i’ve ridden (giggle box next). rocker feels natural and it just goes. always surprises me in how it helps a middle aged kook get tiger sheds.

4. some sort of stap i’d ride only couple times a year. would go big like a 6’4 or 6’6
Would be great. If you could get up on your hooves in reasonble time.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: jkb and Havoc

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
6'0 Pyzel Ghost that I haven't really ridden yet. might get sold as I'm kinda over regular short boardy boards
Same, but I'm curious hearing all the Ghost hype. Would probably be able to ride it more than Blackbird around here.
I could take that off your hands, when you are ready.

EDIT: If I had to pick a 1-board quiver for SoCal, it just might be R. Smoothie. Works from knee to HH. One of the most forgiving, most fun boards I've ever ridden.

Reactions: MathDebater and JDJ

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
So, basically all my boards:

7'0 Mockayama Howard Mini Clone- been riding alot and loving

5'6 Thai made Hypto- works great in waist to overhead beach break when it's too steep for the egg

6'8 1990s Aloha step up that I ride once every 4 years when it's bombing, Ghost was meant to replace it but remains to be seen
We all want different things, but to not have a proper HP board in your quiver would be selling yourself short, imho.

Give that Ghost a chance; all it needs is a HH wave with a bit of steepness.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
5'10" XTR Pyzel Gremlin
(Machado twin+1's, knee to chest, for those sub par small days.)
Interesting fin choice. You think it goes better with a twin + 1 than a regular thruster set? I might try that in my gremlin to change it up if I can get my hands on a set.

Reactions: trifish

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Interesting fin choice. You think it goes better with a twin + 1 than a regular thruster set? I might try that in my gremlin to change it up if I can get my hands on a set.
Definitely that fin setup is the clear winner in smaller conditions for me on that board. I've spent a good amount of time with it as a quad, thruster, and the twin+1 setup. I usually prefer thruster setups but that setup on the gremlin just gets another gear on speed, more playful and I think it even turns better fitting into those small pockets. For the conditions I use it in which is like knee to chest its money.

Reactions: ehiunno

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Definitely that fin setup is the clear winner in smaller conditions for me on that board. I've spent a good amount of time with it as a quad, thruster, and the twin+1 setup. I usually prefer thruster setups but that setup on the gremlin just gets another gear on speed, more playful and I think it even turns better fitting into those small pockets. For the conditions I use it in which is like knee to chest its money.
Right on! Never hurts to have an extra gear in the small stuff.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
LOVE how the 2+1 setup is getting some kicks. all too often you Cool Guy ripper dbags and Soul F90cks hate on it. such a goodway to ahve fun in the mush or small stuff....or somehow manipulate a board to feel like it has a shorter rail line. this whole ocean endeavor..since we were kids...was always about fun. where did we f()ck it up?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
the muchacho 2+1 seems to be liked in otherwise thruster fin placements. That midget feom Stab seems to like using them in similar fashion.

curious to hear more experiences in an otherwise “thruster” board.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
the muchacho 2+1 seems to be liked in otherwise thruster fin placements. That midget feom Stab seems to like using them in similar fashion.

curious to hear more experiences in an otherwise “thruster” board.
I'd say try it more on a groveler/small wave board. Like 20W-50 said, it excels in mush/small conditions. It didn't work on my Shadow at all when I got curious one day. It clicks with that gremlin though for whatever reason. I had swapped back to my normal thruster Solus set for a day and felt like I was dragging a weight behind me after being used to the other set. Couldnt swap it back fast enough. I've heard some guys mention that the gremlin doesn't grovel great, but honestly I can grovel the shet out of some small/mushy stuff with that setup on that board. That extra speed helps alot.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
5'4 STPNK Type III fish for summer Linda Mar and mushy OB
6'2 Rusty M8 for fall when we start getting some fun NW pulses
6'8 Rusty BB for fall-spring when it's long period but not too big
8'3 Rusty BB for anything 10 feet and up
How you liking the 6'8 BB for OB? Thinking about getting a 6'10 in XTR.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I love the 6'8. I'm 6'3, so it's my step up. I'll ride it when it's 1.5x -2x overhead on a long period swell. Paddles really well despite not being a super volume forward board like a Padillac. Very balanced outline, foil and rocker. Rails are nicely foiled and low apex, so you can pack more foam in. My HPSB is usually 2 5/8 and my 6'8 BB is 2 3/4. Still feels pretty knifey. The BBs is a perfect OB design.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
I love the 6'8. I'm 6'3, so it's my step up. I'll ride it when it's 1.5x -2x overhead on a long period swell. Paddles really well despite not being a super volume forward board like a Padillac. Very balanced outline, foil and rocker. Rails are nicely foiled and low apex, so you can pack more foam in. My HPSB is usually 2 5/8 and my 6'8 BB is 2 3/4. Still feels pretty knifey. The BBs is a perfect OB design.
Awesome, thanks for the info! I'm 6'4 so will probably size this similar to you for similar conditions.

Reactions: bluengreen

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
How is the MOTE Fiji?

Been lusting after one. Curious how you like that length, didn't know if want to go longer for glide.

6'1 Pyzel Ghost
6'4 MOTE Fiji
5'10 Jim Banks Magic carpet
7'6 Lovelace Vbowls

Thinking of gettin a NB2 or a Cymatic...

How come nobody chose the cymatic for the 4 board quiver??

Mar 6, 2012
How is the MOTE Fiji?

Been lusting after one. Curious how you like that length, didn't know if want to go longer for glide.
Needs a bigger wave or some push... Hollower wave. BUt I reckon it needs a bigger wave so that it can fit the curve of the wave. Very easy to surf. Feels like a quad although it is a twin (probably due to the channels). Does not go vertical at least with me. Still need to try it in 6 feet plus.

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
6'1 Pyzel Ghost
6'4 MOTE Fiji
5'10 Jim Banks Magic carpet
7'6 Lovelace Vbowls

Thinking of gettin a NB2 or a Cymatic...

How come nobody chose the cymatic for the 4 board quiver??
I have one, and though it is a favorite, it isn't very versatile. With only four boards to choose from, they need to be able to handle a variety of conditions. Cymatic shines in very specific conditions, but struggles with a little chop or mush. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: Havoc and oeste858